Winter 2018 Roundhouse Rifle Challenge

LONG RANGE CAPT

Post Challenge Report - Winter 2018 RRC 

Last Saturday, as a winters dawn slowly broke across the highlands of Cornwall, twenty nine shooters prepared for a full day of precision rifle shooting.  

With the safety briefing and 100m zeroing completed, a single shot on the 636y Thomas Haugland Long Range Proficiency Test steels soon saw some scratching of heads; as targets displayed zero impacts.  There really was no wind to be found, despite appearances...

Squads of five or six shooters then proceeded to rotate through the six distinctly different, at times very challenging, morning stages.  Shots varied from an IPSC with Fig 14 Hostage target alongside at 650y (to be engaged sitting from a barrel), through to ten rounds at a 300y two MOA gong, from five different positions in a sleeper wall within two minutes.  

As midday passed, a quick barbecue lunch with homemade mince pies and brownies kept spirits high and then it was straight into the afternoon stages. 

The six stages were spread across a 400m long firing line, with hedges and rabbit warrens adding to the more traditional tank traps and barricade walls. A 237y five shot group on a playing card may not at first sound too difficult...But when combined with a chest high stone wall topped with an electric fence, the requirement to locate and engage your card all within a 1.5min time limit; it soon proved quite the challenge.  Glenn J. took the smallest group title by a mere 2.25mm and won the £50 voucher donated by Gary Lowe of Practical Precision UK. Other stages included locating and engaging UKD steels with just one shot per target, leaving no margin for error.  Good data and correct wind calls really came to the fore here, with those who had put the practice in being duly rewarded.  

The day concluded back in the indoor range with a tally of scores.  Josh M. took a very respectable first with 78 ex 140, comfortably clearing the pack leaving Glenn J. in second on 72 and Paul C. third with 67.  

A big thank you to all the RCO's and sentries who travelled considerable distances to support this event, without which it simply wouldn't of happened! 

Looking forward to this year, the next RRC on the 4th & 5th of May will be the inaugural Precision Rifle League Challenge. 
http://precisionrifleleague.co.uk

In preparation for the PRL, there will be a training and ELR weekend over the 16th & 17th of March.  Booking for both the training weekend and RRC is now open!  Please contact me directly at roundhousefirearms@gmail.com for further details and to book in. 

Finally on a personal note, I would like to wish you all a very Happy New Year and thank you for your continued support with The Roundhouse and now the Precision Rifle League!  Plus, if you haven't already, please join the PRL Forum to further support precision rifle shooting in the UK and beyond.
http://precisionrifleleague.co.uk/forums/

5BA81E28-5976-4CCD-99CF-E1FD5C725694.jpeg

B816E188-9449-4AAC-B146-FBF3F90CB99C.jpeg

Rob,

looks like a good day, and the Bodmin weather was kind, thanks for posting the write up.

T

(ps big spread of kit carried, from minimal to one of everything made  !! 😉 circa Blashford Snell )

I for one enjoyed every second of it!....It was without doubt the hardest COF to date, extremely testing on man and equipment!

The positional shooting put everyone out of thier comfort zone.

looking forward to competing in the PRL this year.

Tiff and team thank you for all your hard work, it's very much appreciated.

+1 on Rugers comments.

How did I miss the THLR gong?!🤔

4 hours ago, ruger7717 said:

We all did Dave😂😂😂

How?!

I looked at it as a 'chip-shot' and had plenty of time!

Doooh 😃

• 2 weeks later...

Be interested to know if anyone suffered kit failiures during this practice session .

Rifle break downs - what make / how

Trigger failures - what happened

Scope / mount issues 

Other ancillary kit failiure - what and how did it fail 

Interested to what works and more importantly what doesn’t 

Andy

Might also be interetesting in what stages caught people out or common failure of basic rifle skill/fundamentals e.g. not knowing your ‘dopes’?

T

5 hours ago, Ronin said:

Be interested to know if anyone suffered kit failiures during this practice session .

Rifle break downs - what make / how

Trigger failures - what happened

Scope / mount issues 

Other ancillary kit failiure - what and how did it fail 

Interested to what works and more importantly what doesn’t 

I wasn't at this one but past experiences revealed the following:

-Stiff extractions of soaking brass

-Sako75 action bolts coming loose after 20-30rounds

-AICS mag base-plate coming off when rested on turf/stone, shooting under pig-wire:

53575277-5191-49B5-872C-8CEB950C7455.jpg

-Often can't see splash of misses with small calibres (<6mm) unless it's one of the targets with sand surround.

-If using a mod, periodically check it is not coming loose.

-Make sure you and your spotter have agreed terms to be used (are they calling the correction or direction of miss, mils? Moa? Target widths?)

-On timed stages, make sure the guy who shoots first doesn't use all the time! 

-Don't spend ages faffing with tripods, bags etc trying to build a perfect position; you'll run out of time.

-Some stages (eg. find your playing card and shoot it) are more a test of scope optical quality than marksmanship (can be hard to distinguish hearts from diamonds and clubs from spades).

-Pack for all weathers, whether it's summer or winter. It's great fun whatever the conditions but not if you aren't suitably clothed (waterproof clothing often isn't when the water is running up leg or wasteband!)

47-D18-E81-3420-4-BF8-83-F9-C5-D737-F771

That stream wasn't there when he lay down.

Steady 30mph, gusting to 40!

4-D486472-696-D-46-D7-9556-898431-F70-A6

Pick the higher ground on the firing point:

A0-F28039-8413-484-F-AA9-E-1-EB8806-F930

This was the only one I've been to that was really wet and windy. Still great fun.

8 minutes ago, bradders said:

Hey, that's me in that pic....and I wasn't even there!

But you can see I am shooting it like a real man, as God® intended 😎

47-D18-E81-3420-4-BF8-83-F9-C5-D737-F771

Mag-resting in a puddle. God moves in mysterious ways.

Interesting to hear of AICS mag failure - maybe that’s a bit harsh - self stripping more apt perhaps 

I expected to hear of dirt : mud: sand ingress causing issues with tight chambers / bolts on custom guns 

A couple of guys at The Eskdalemuir shoot had issues with custom guns 

I believe there have been TRG failures at Roundhouse too ?

Think everyone may struggle with barricade positional shooting under stress 

Agreed you and spotter or team mate need to work Mil Mil or Moa Moa 

No sense doing any other way 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Interesting to hear of AICS mag failure - maybe that’s a bit harsh - self stripping more apt perhaps 

I expected to hear of dirt : mud: sand ingress causing issues with tight chambers / bolts on custom guns 

A couple of guys at The Eskdalemuir shoot had issues with custom guns 

I believe there have been TRG failures at Roundhouse too ?

Think everyone may struggle with barricade positional shooting under stress 

Agreed you and spotter or team mate need to work Mil Mil or Moa Moa 

No sense doing any other way 

To be fair to the AICS mag- it fed the first 8 no problem and, when I realised it had spat its guts out, I just shoved the last two rounds back up into the mag, replaced the spring and trapped it with the turf; fed the last 2 grubby rounds without a problem (custom but only a Stiller Predator, no-turn neck so maybe tolerances not too tight!)

Once reassembled, it worked OK, of course.

As for it being "no sense doing it any other way" wrt spotter, I fully agree. However, I have been on the receiving end of a teammate who got "creative" halfway through a Roundhouse and switched from calling fall-of-shot (POI) to calling required correction. We both thought the wind had seriously picked-up until, 2shots later, the error was identified!

2 hours ago, lapua said:

Bloke with a beard and an irish accent, talks a lot, bits fall of his rifle a lot...

Paddy?! Which bits fell off? (The rifle, I mean)

Archived