Just came across this article:

https://www.buckmasters.com/Magazines/GunHunter/Articles/ID/3064/Barrel-Fluting-What-Does-It-Do

I must admit I thought it made no difference to the stiffness, but apparently, it reduces it.........

Pete

From Lilja's articles;

"Fluting a barrel removes weight, up to one pound or so depending on flute size. It also lowers a barrel’s moment of inertia value but not by very much. Some have the mistaken idea that fluting alone increases the stiffness of a barrel. This is not true. The fluted barrel of a given weight and length will be stiffer than an unfluted barrel of the same weight. The fluted barrel will not be stiffer than the same taper and length barrel that is not fluted though."

http://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-the-rigidity-of-benchrest-barrels/

Pardon? Don't the last two sentences contradict each other?

I'm with Buckmasters..................he described a procedure which demonstrated that fluting reduces stiffness.

Pete

2 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Pardon? Don't the last two sentences contradict each other?

No. Lilja is saying that a fluted 5lb barrel that weighed 6lb say pre-fluting will be stiffer than its same weight equivalent in a non-fluted thinner profile. eg a fluted heavy Palma profile barrel is stiffer than a same weight and length light Palma. However, it is less stiff than it was in its original unfluted form - as a 6lb straight taper in this hypothetical example.

Ah........in simple terms, the fluted barrel will have a slightly greater diameter and be therefore stiffer than the unfluted barrel of the same weight/length...................

Haven't quite got over Monday night, yet  🙂

Pete

Archived