Stock Milling

Novice1

Very awkward job. Not many will scream to take it on and rightly so. It is almost impossible to find a centre on moulded stock and therefore a picky customer will always find something to crib about if they measure the position of the inlet with a Vernier....  How do we know that?  I know Ronin has does some magic on back filled stocks, maybe you can twist his arm....

edi 

I've been tempted to have a anschults rail inletted into my manners stock rather than keep screwing on and off for range shooting and back to a sling stud for my Harris pods for hunting. Just get a stud adaptor for the rail then. I really like using the mystic pod for my range shooting. By far my favourite pod

It would be a very time consuming job to do with a manual mill 

Afraid I do not have the luxury of a long bed mill or one with cnc  programme capabilty

I think Paddy Dane and Neil Mckillop May have such machines which would give you the inlet you desire - though you’d have to contact them and speak direct to confirm 

As Edi rightly says it’s a heck of a job to get right and if doing for a customer manually, wouldn’t be economically viable

Did my GRS Hybrid on a mates little manual chinese milling machine.........took around an hour and a half. Most of the time was spent lining the stock up, levelling it and clamping it to the bed.

I only wanted  to inlet 100mm of rail, just enough to allow any type of bipod fitting. A couple of years prior to this, Neil McKillop did another longer one for me while I waited, for £30.

Re-Pete

Bit different milling in a piece of rail to a whole barrel channel, action inlet and bottom metal ........  

Sorry, I misunderstood..............I just picked up on the Anschutz rail. David  at Crispin Engineering did a great job for us, fitting a Savage mod 12 F/TR action into a laminate stock blank.

Pillar and epoxy bedding. He needed the barrelled action and trigger for quite a while, though........it's a long winded job to do it perfectly.

Pete

Archived