Know your quarry, squirrels (request).

Paul Cat

I'm about to get involved in the grey squirrel control initiative and although I've done a little reading on the blighters I wondered if anyone had written a 'Know Your Quarry' article on them, similar to those by Jay Foxing at the top of this forum?

Many thanks.

What did you want to know ? There grey / vermin ,  killed off most native reds . Ring bark trees sometimes and they do take songbird eggs and nibble a little lid off to eat the insides . I think they eat chicks too . They tast quite nice . Look cute fun/ hard to shoot sometimes . Id favor a air rifle in the woods . Or at a feeder at distance clober them with something like my .20p - seeing greys fly is quite spectacular 

Thanks gunner.

I think I've managed to get the basics and it'll be with a FAC air rifle. Not too keen on bullets coming down a mile away.

I was thinking more about their behaviour. Mating, territory...that sort of thing. If I know how the buggers think I might be in with a chance. I suspect it's more a case of laagering up somewhere under a net, watching them and taking notes.

As I said, I'm about to start working on some woodland with a group so we'll see how that goes.

Put feeders out (by far the most efficient method, you arent going to control them by wandering about shooting one a day), donk with air gun, fun.

They do that teritory barking thats easy to hear , if your hearing is very good , you can make out their claws scrambling up n down the trunks . My hearing is not so good now ( tinitus :unsure: ) fac air is probably the best tool . Not sure if they use there dreys in the day ? Or just after dark/ dusk . Agree the thermal  spotter ! would be possibly more important than say camouflage clothing etc . My friend baited them with feeders a while back where they needed thinning / asked by his landowner  and we used  air 410 hush and .22lr - safely , it only took a few days to get them where you need . It was a good day out too , the odd crow and pidgeon too .. atb

Big John's got the feeders in hand, hopefully by the time we start shooting they'll be virtual buffets. Not sure I can justify the cost of a thermal sight just for a few Tufties but I was planning larger calibre/prey in the future so maybe I need to look at that.

Thanks for all your tips. Just awaiting the call to say we're starting.

I sit and wait for the pox carrying, bird eating tree rats.  With a non FAC, in my experience, only go for head shots.  They are tough critters.  FAC air is a safe option.  I rarely use 22LR on my perms. I set up peanut or sunflower seed feeders and wait, then wait as typically there is another round the corner, or I focus around the area of pheasant feeders.  30 minutes each stand listening and watching in my lean to branch shelters.  Shaker callers work - the old boys used a box of matches. They sit above your head and Chirrrrrrrrr away not expecting a lead surprise.

21 hours ago, Montey said:

Shot loads over and the years using a shot gun it's quite simple really 

I used to love that, great fun and effective, one man each side of the tree, dose of lead into the drey and some good sport followed

Youre coming into the best time of the year for them. February to march time is the best for them. A magpie call works really well if you can keep the call as short as possible. In march the males will come running along the branches towards you chattering angrily!. They will use their dray during the day if they feel threatened. I have personally seen squirrels taking songbird chicks out of nests. Probably the most rewarding air rifle shooting of all. I personally use an fx impact running at 33ft/Lb. This gun sends them flying!

The male squirrels make a chatting noise very similar to the noise of a magpie foraging. In breeding season this call works extremely well as the males are much more territorial. The seem to see it as a threat call from another male.

Archived