Pmii tunneling question

lapua

5 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

4-16X50, 3-20x50 and 5-20x50US don’t tunnel at low mag. I still have all three and don’t think I will ever move any on.  

So which is the best scope then? PRL shooting and prone hunting?

Have had all 3 and only traded the 3-20 x 50 when the ultra short came out and went to 5-20 x 50 ultra. It’s shorter and lighter than the 3-20, won’t be going anywhere (unless it all goes badly wrong) and plan to get another.

9 hours ago, Treedave said:

Have had all 3 and only traded the 3-20 x 50 when the ultra short came out and went to 5-20 x 50 ultra. It’s shorter and lighter than the 3-20, won’t be going anywhere (unless it all goes badly wrong) and plan to get another.

Did you have any issues mounting that? I’m looking to get something to go on a remmy clone with standard length picatinny rail, 14” lop.

Here is 5x20x50 ultra top and 3x20x50 ultra bottom

Spacing for rings on both are very different as to mounting on to your rosko, and eye relief is also different , my advice would be if there is some way to get your desired scope on your rifle ie, go to a shop and try that scope on your stick,or if any of the lads have the same scope on there rifles, go have a look.Then you will know how its going to mount on your rifle ,ie eye relief, cheek weld

20181227_081210.jpg

22 hours ago, lapua said:

So which is the best scope then? PRL shooting and prone hunting?

I have only shot the 3-20 and 4-16 in prl style events. The 5-20 is on a hunting rifle. 

Firstly the 4-16 has the early single turn turrets. Quite small in the hand when dialling great for hunting but I prefer something bigger on the range. The scope is easy to mount on anything. 

The 3-20 has the locking turrets. Good size in hand and I have no issue with the fact they lock and have found they stay in the open position. Throughout a stage. Optically this is my favourite scope and it has the edge to me over my previous 5-25. This scope will be on the rifle I use for PRL.

The 5-20 is tiny in comparison to the other two scopes. The turrets on my scope are double turn and have 17 mil in the first rotation. The clicks are very fine. In fact too fine. Take this into account when looking at these scopes. I am using it on a hunting rifle. I have a Horus tremor 2 reticle so don’t dial much. As long as you have a one piece picatinny rail you shouldn’t have any issue with mounting. There is little to no room for movement in rings for eye relief.

13 hours ago, lapua said:

Did you have any issues mounting that? I’m looking to get something to go on a remmy clone with standard length picatinny rail, 14” lop.

You shouldn’t if you get standard picatinny rings or sphur do a specific mount for the 5-20 ultra. Be warned that tier1 style tac rings just won’t fit as the ring is just too fat for the gap.

Like has been said, if you can try or look real close at one next to / on your rifle. The issue I found was find one on the shelf. Almost everyone seems to get them in to order.

Rem 700 clone action with slightly longer rail, but not really needed. The next one will go in Talley rings direct to the action, for various reasons not related to this model of scope.

B3E326BA-4B53-4FF5-B2A6-54C566E67972.jpeg

I never liked the 5-25 because of the tunnelling., thought it is totally overrated. I asked for a 3-20x50 US because it seemed just right for a hunting rifle that can cover short to long range and is not to big/heavy. In the meantime it is my favourite scope, I don't notice tunnelling with it. I can see bullet holes better at distance than with a K624i, the low lock elevation turret is a dream, the windage turret is covered. Turrets whacking against the rucksack when going into the hills are not moved like on the Kahles. Had no issues fitting the scope with Spuhr one or two piece mounts as well as Badger, Recknagel Ultra Light prototype. Recently Schmidt gave me a loan of a 3-27x56 for a shoot with SF guys. This scope has a more tunnelling again. I did shoot well with it and knocked a few deer. The visitors at our shoot were very happy with it.  I am planning on building a much lighter rifle with carbon barrel and will strongly consider the 5-2x50 US. I looked through a few but one needs to use it for a while.2117566799_E-tac43-20x50US308CTR.thumb.jpg.135bf7cb8138de2752cff80b00407d8b.jpg1015518914_3-27E-Tac4300winmag.thumb.jpg.6526d898ea4a05720e29be0791d98492.jpg

I have used the 5-25x56 for a number of years now and still really like it.

I absolutely LOVE the H2CMR reticle, simply outstanding and is infinitely better and more usable than the P4L or MSR reticles (for some reason many people who wish to get into ELR shooting still think the P4L is good...why  they do I have no idea!!).

I think the reticle makes up 90% of the reason to choose a scope, especially the top ones. The H2CMR really gave the 5-25x56 a new lease of life - interestingly it seems the H2CMR is the reticle of choice for S&B scopes within the PRS crowd for 2018.

Yes there's tunnelling. No it doesn't actually affect the function of the scope, doesn't affect the reticle, magnification nor parallax. It merely reduces the FOV a bit when moving between 7x-8x (I think, from memory).

But the tunnelling is of no consequence for me as a target shooter, and nor should it be for all other target shooters. All the nicker twisting about it is blown out of proportion IMHO. I never lower the magnification below 12x anyway, it mostly sits around 20x because I shoot between 600m and 1200m. Never a problem.

I’m seriously considering a March Scope for my next project. Yet to look down a March in real life. Hope to do so soon. 

From what research I’ve done, glass quality is on par with the S&B. It’s main advantage is it’s weight vs anything else in its class. Tracking issues have now been put to bed by March now using Mathematical Mils and not Miltary Mils. I also quite like their rets the FML-1 or FML-T1

Downside is a fussy parralax knob. 

Weight is a big consideration for me, which is why I’m looking at them. If it wasn’t an issue I would be going with an 5-20 Ultrashort. (Not that they are heavy anyway). 

Hi All 

have a pm2 5-20x50 ultra short and absolutely love it ,I wiil be getting another when funds allow bought from sporting services  , also have a 3-27x56 on the 308 AI AT and have not seen any tunnelling . check the web for the field of view amounts at max and min magnification  as think the 5-25x56 is a bit restrictive  . the two scopes i have as above have very large eye part diameters which help with feild of view . very much like the two turns to cover the whole of the scopes adjustment ,only negative is that the clicks can easily be done /turned too much if not carefull to count or look at the numbers closely  .if shooting at known distances its easy to dial the clicks and aim dead on with the p4l fine ret  . magnification used is usually 12x plus for targets and quarry , 100-300 m 

cheers and happy new year 

Archived