Performance economy chips for vehicles

No i deer

I was wondering what your thoughts and experiences were on having one of these plug in chips fitted to your.car,van or pickup.

I fancy having one fitted to my Navara pickup. Before I went ahead I thought I had better ask the audience.

Cheers No I deer 

Had a few enhancements in previous vehicles 

Discovery 3 V6 which I bought a package that I could swap back to standard tune when it went to the dealer for service 

Gave more torque but no greater economy

UK provider who I can’t remember the name of but good bloke to deal with 

Had a  tuning box from Racechip DE a German tuning firm on a Jag XF that increased torque by a heap (would spin wheel in wet in third in race mode)

That incredibly increased mpg from 28 to 33 

A guy at work has a chipped insignia ( Vauxhall Estate) that he’s also fitted a Racechip unit to - also gives impressive performance and increased economy

Id buy another Racechip unit though not sure about fitting one to a Navara as I believe they have issue with chain timjng  gear if engine stressed too hard - there’s a conversion to duplex chain available that makes the unit far more reliable but that’s another story 

I think if you get a TUV approved system you won’t go far wrong 

just tell your insurer 

Not directly relevant but an indication of what can be achied...My Defender had the Tune+ from these guys: https://jemotorworks.co.uk/power-performance-defender/

It exceeded my expectations and has transformed the way the vehicle drives.

Thanks for replies.I was thinking more on the economy side as I only nurse my pickup around anyway.if the extra horses makes it easier to drive then it's a double bonus.

I think a mate had an Avon tune on his defender.

It was remaped by a technician on a laptop think and no messing taking a unit on and off for MOT's.

I better speak to him for more info.

Good point. Would the extra performance make the engine work harder nursing around as usual or does it get the extra performance with no stress to the engine and the extra stress is from using the extra performance from the chip..?

20 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Good point. Would the extra performance make the engine work harder nursing around as usual or does it get the extra performance with no stress to the engine and the extra stress is from using the extra performance from the chip..?

A lot  depends on the weight of your right foot :)

Billcar make or sell the duplex chain upgrade I mentioned in an earlier post (for the D40)

I wouldn’t tune a Nissan without the additional security of a better Duplex chain ,,,

Archived