Precision Rifle League Officially Launched

LONG RANGE CAPT

where

3 hours ago, Samwise said:

Well I think this is brilliant. I've applied for my FAC just to compete in this (I've moved to the UK from Aus and used to shoot alot). If you've seen the growth of the sport in the US and the globe (Aus, Norway, Sweden etc), you'll see now that it's getting huge. It's always been around but now its getting internationally organised. It has the potential to be massive in the UK with approx 500,000 firearms (mainly bolt action rifles) owned. I also see the addition of combining CSR straight pulls into the mix just as the US has added gas guns into their competition. As far as terminolgy, who cares! Lets use American termnolgy and adapt. The world is using American terminology with regards to shooting and won't hurt anyone, cheesy or not. This is huge opportunity for the UK and we should embrace another discipline. Hopefully I'll see anyone who gets amongst it mid to end of 2019! 

where did you get 500,000 firearms owned etc from? 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

The most recent HO stats report on the subject advises that there are 577,547 firearms possessed by the holders of a firearm certificate.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721286/firearm-shotgun-certificates-england-and-wales-march-2018.pdf

Adrian

There you go 577 000 - Cheers Adrian

I got my stat of Wikipedia. All I'm saying is there is a lot of people (being an average punter with his/her bolt action rifle) that can be attracted to this sport because of the production class, it having a direct correlation to hunting and it being more dynamic than traditional F Class competition. Not knocking F Class, I shot it as a young lad but the US style PRS comp with akward positions, unknown distances, time limits and ringing steel makes it a lot more exciting. It's getting massive and I can see it getting big here over time. I'm pumped anyway!

33 minutes ago, AJW7088 said:

Hello,

The most recent HO stats report on the subject advises that there are 577,547 firearms possessed by the holders of a firearm certificate.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/721286/firearm-shotgun-certificates-england-and-wales-march-2018.pdf

Adrian

Cheers, useful background info thanks. I note that it's actually 335,162 rifles and a great deal of those are .22 rim fire I would expect.

However, the point was well made by Samwise that there's a lot of potential shooters, let's hope it translates into actual competitors so this get's well supported.

Archived