Precision Rifle League Officially Launched

LONG RANGE CAPT

Well said terry, let’s just hope that everyone gets behind this venture and makes it a success.

My experience is that Tiffs shoots always tick three criteria for me - safe, fun and challenging. I am sure the other MDs matches will be the same.

re locations, I agree (with baldie) that a midlands range would be nice. Such a venue will make it more likely that the north / south shooters can compete against one another without a crazy preshoot journey.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, terryh said:

This UK based PRL is embryonic, give the organisers a bit of time to get it rolling, yes there are some nomenclature issues (sorry ‘flagging’s got to go, ‘sweep’ please :) ) but Tiff & co’s run some comps so sensible safe range regs and (hopefully) a curb on gaming similar to the IDPA ‘failure to do right’ will keep the matches crisp.

I’m looking food to this series, not sure on making many that far North, but will give it a go.

Terry

The terms Hot/Cold range are an unknown here in Blighty, and the price cap of £3000 for factory class is limiting when the US rules permit a Cap of $4000...and in the US $4000 will buy a lot more than £3000 will here in the UK, Seniors is an Americanism, here it has always been veteran and classifications of Pro, Semi Pro and Amateur are also a bit Yankee Doodle-Doo and cheesy

Mostly though it looks fine and will be a lot of fun, although I'm still wondering how many will actually bite the bullet and where else this is being promoted?

Jeess fellas

Lets not beat it to death before it even starts!

I've been to the RRC over 15 times among other ranges up and down the country the comps have always been exceptionally well run with regard to safety etc...the COFS have for the most part been clear and concise...The scoring could  be simplified on some of the stages but that would be my only gripe.

I for one hope this grows and will give it my complete support.

With regard to lads turning up with sponsor embellished soft shells.....I don't think it'll really get the attention that it really deserves by the distributers and manufactures etc!

Hopefully it'll be just a fun day out!   

15 hours ago, baldie said:

It desperately needs a midlands venue chaps.

best of luck with the series.

A midlands venue for 2020 would be excellent.  I covered a few thousand miles following up leads this year, but didn't succeed in finding a non 'square range' location with a suitably motivated person at the helm.  Hopefully as the PRL gains exposure, somewhere mid country will come to the fore🙂.

12 hours ago, bradders said:

You will....it’s already started in the rules terminology

As for rules and range commands etc, why not use already established “British” range terminology? 

The only regular RCO range commands seemed pretty standard to me? :

9.1.6 – RCO’s will use the following commands to start each shooter: 

“Shooter do you understand the course of fire?”

If there are no questions;

“Load or Load & Make Ready.” 

Once complete;

“Shooter ready?” 

Once the shooter signifies ready either visually or vocally; 

“Standby” 

3 hours ago, terryh said:

This UK based PRL is embryonic, give the organisers a bit of time to get it rolling, yes there are some nomenclature issues (sorry ‘flagging’s got to go, ‘sweep’ please :) ) but Tiff & co’s run some comps so sensible safe range regs and (hopefully) a curb on gaming similar to the IDPA ‘failure to do right’ will keep the matches crisp.

I’m looking food to this series, not sure on making many that far North, but will give it a go.

Terry

Terry no problems, muzzle sweep/sweeping is in there now and you are spot on; it's still early days and I'm more than happy to adapt and change to suit.  When all the directly related resources are American, the odd nomenclature might slip in, in a four and a half thousand word document...

2 hours ago, bradders said:

The terms Hot/Cold range are an unknown here in Blighty, and the price cap of £3000 for factory class is limiting when the US rules permit a Cap of $4000...and in the US $4000 will buy a lot more than £3000 will here in the UK, Seniors is an Americanism, here it has always been veteran and classifications of Pro, Semi Pro and Amateur are also a bit Yankee Doodle-Doo and cheesy

Mostly though it looks fine and will be a lot of fun, although I'm still wondering how many will actually bite the bullet and where else this is being promoted?

I've used the term Hot/Cold ranges for the last decade and I know many others over here that do similar... The concept is pretty easy to understand by all I would of thought? It is fairly widespread on the continent as well, helps with international shooters coming across and equally when we go over there.  What would you use instead?

In any case the word 'cold' is only mentioned three times and 'hot' once in the whole document:

1.1.2 – A rifle is in either ‘Hot’ (loaded) or ‘Cold’ (unloaded) state.  

1.1.3 – All PRL events will be run on cold ranges. A cold range is defined as keeping firearms unloaded until actively participating in a stage on the FP. 

1.4.3 – Anyone found violating the cold range rule i.e. with a loaded firearm (when not actively participating in a stage on the FP) will be DQ for the entire challenge and possibly the League, depending on the severity of the situation.   

The factory division is designed to help provide an affordable entry point and help the sport to expand. I looked at what's available on the market and a £1,500 / £1,500 split seemed appropriate.  You can buy numerous new rifles in this price bracket, many with 10rd detachable  mags - i.e Bergara HMR £1,050 or CZ 557 Varmint £1,060 (that CZ I used in Scotland back in October).  Put on a £500 - £700 scope with matching reticle / turrets (of which there are numerous on the market now), a bipod, bag or two and you are competing at a national level for under £2,000.  

I agree on the seniors term being slightly American, but veterans is now often used to describe ex-servicemen, so until a more suitable alternative is suggested (suggestions please?) it will have to remain.  

The Pro, Semi Pro and Amateur classifications are perhaps a bit of a foreign concept here in rifle shooting, but classifications have existed for decades in the clay pigeon world, so why not try something different?  I've  already been approached by several large firearms manufactures and importers looking to help support juniors and young shooters in the amateur class.   

It's being promoted across various media platforms, including monthly print articles, the website, facebook (48,000 views in eight days), instagram and its own small but growing forum. Plus various youtube channel exposures and similar video content platforms in the pipeline for the spring onwards.   It's only been officially launched since last Saturday, so hopefully a reasonable start to expand from and naturally relies on the positive experience of those involved to spread the word. 

1 hour ago, Breacher said:

Will individual matches have prizes or does one have to commit to doing a few to build up scores for a league standing ?

Plenty of details on the website:

http://precisionrifleleague.co.uk/about-the-league/

In essence, at each challenge there are only trophies for 1st, 2nd & 3rd in each division to be won. At the end of the year, if you have entered two differently located challenges and thus are on the leaderboard (best two scores), you are entered into the PRL Sponsors Raffle - that's where all the sponsors prizes will be placed.  This works for two reasons: A. It ensures individual match directors are not competing against each other for a prize table (sponsors quickly get bored of this and overall prize tables drop considerably) and B. Helps promote different venues and ensures people cannot just remain at one range and claim to be champion of a national league.  

I hope that helps answer a few questions and I can be found on / via the website if you have more suggestions or indeed anything you believe needs further clarification etc. 

http://precisionrifleleague.co.uk

Have a good Christmas everyone,

Tiff

Tiff runs a safe, interesting and fun shoot.

As for the rest....  adapt, improvise overcome...ffs...we need this in the UK and it will evolve / mature...support it l

21 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Tiff runs a safe, interesting and fun shoot.

As for the rest....  adapt, improvise overcome...ffs...we need this in the UK and it will evolve / mature...support it l

I know he does and I hope it will, I really do, but here's the thing....the recent match up at Gardners, despite being promoted on here and all the people here who have voiced interest in these matches...attracted around 20 people, and that should've been a lot more

I saw similar at the old RBL matches

Well let’s hope 2019 sees the league start properly with many more entrants.

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Well let’s hope 2019 sees the league start properly with many more entrants.

It’ll be brilliant, it’s great shooting

i just wish I was in a better place to take part , but that’s outside my control

I think the real limiting factor for this is venues, and thats no fault of the organisers its just lack of them in this country.

As to the rules, having your factory barrel threaded by a gunsmith puts you out of the factory class, why don't women compete alongside  the men, I assume its the same CoF for both.

I really hope this is a success and well done to all who've organised it

My two pennoth" for what is worth.

I think Tiff's and gardners ranges look fantastic, I have to admit, i've never been to either. The problem being the distance.

Not that i'm afraid of travelling, but these days, its realistically a 3 day affair, with a day spent either side travelling. Not something I personally can find time for these days, and would imagine a lot more are in the same situation.

I had to knock the winter league at Bisley on the head, for the same reason.

I know PRS is generally meant to be UKD.

I think for it to work in this country, it would work far better, with a mixture. UKD at venues that can accommodate such, and smaller, more difficult targets on known distance ranges. That would open up more venues.

The targets still have to be hit.

We would love to host one at Diggle. No shortage of steels amongst the various disciplines.

Just a thought chaps ?

5 hours ago, John MH said:

Open rig for next season.

y5zBc8s.jpg

Rifle has had a change of colour since last used at the inaugural PRL match in Scotland last October.

pe1IAoW.jpg

No Hands 😀

p3bMhUv.jpg

Surprisingly stable with the Gamechanger barricade bag.

Will you be running the set up with a mod or muzzle brake in the coming PRL season ?

15 minutes ago, terryh said:

OOtoT,

nice pair of rifles, makes sense having the same set up (psst - need to sort the RH rifles brake 😉)

T

Blast !!! I was hoping nobody would notice haha , I had been messing with my sound mod about five mins earlier . I never noticed it until I looked at the pic , 

Well I think this is brilliant. I've applied for my FAC just to compete in this (I've moved to the UK from Aus and used to shoot alot). If you've seen the growth of the sport in the US and the globe (Aus, Norway, Sweden etc), you'll see now that it's getting huge. It's always been around but now its getting internationally organised. It has the potential to be massive in the UK with approx 500,000 firearms (mainly bolt action rifles) owned. I also see the addition of combining CSR straight pulls into the mix just as the US has added gas guns into their competition. As far as terminolgy, who cares! Lets use American termnolgy and adapt. The world is using American terminology with regards to shooting and won't hurt anyone, cheesy or not. This is huge opportunity for the UK and we should embrace another discipline. Hopefully I'll see anyone who gets amongst it mid to end of 2019! 

Archived