REDUCED PLINKING LOADS

buddy.223

Not downloaded these calibres specifically, but if you're using Trailboss & Titegroup you could look into RS12 or Viht N320 as they're in a similar comparable burn rate.

I am just about to start cast bullet downloads in my .44mag and felt N320 would better than N310 as N310 is very fast and leaves little to no margin for error. N320 allows a little more velocity should you need it.

Not tried RS12 so can't speak from experience.

Our club members shoot a lot of downloaded cast bullet loads at our 25m indoor range, Lee Enfields, Mosins etc. 

The usual choice of powder is Viht N310, about 4.5 to 5.4gr, this gives velocities in the 800-950fps range and keeps the ME below our range limit.

For 44mag with a lead 240gr rnfp I use either 5.4gr of TiteGroup or 6.1gr of Nobel GM3.

I use Unique under cast bullets in my SMLE. Not sure if that’s on the banned list now though?

I find 12g under a 185g hard lead bullet with gas check from Shellhouse is pretty darn accurate at 100 yards.

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot a fair amount of .308 185gr cast gas checked over @21gr of Alliant 2400. Quite accurate at 100, 2-3 moa. Great for practice and plinking.

I know another chap that does the same with a very similar load for his Nagant.

53 minutes ago, deadcenter said:

I've shot a fair amount of .308 185gr cast gas checked over @21gr of Alliant 2400. Quite accurate at 100, 2-3 moa. Great for practice and plinking.

I know another chap that does the same with a very similar load for his Nagant.

That's a heavy load. I'd not go over 18gr. Anyway, you seem to have a load you are happy with.

Lovex D060 was actually developped for the purpose of reduced loads in order to avoid risk of secondary combustion/expolosion with very low density loads as used in cowboy shooting or when reloading old large volume (originally black powder design) cases with small amounts of smokeless powder. Look for AA5744 reduced loads on American forums, essentially the same powder in another brand keg.

• 2 months later...

I haven't used cast/lead bullets specifically, but have used the H&N hs bullets (copper washed?) to good effect in .308, .303, 7.5x55, 6.5x55 and .222. I used to use Trailboss when it was available, but now tend to use Alliant Unique across the board. Both give acceptable muzzle velocities on our indoor range.  I am about to start experimenting with Tin Star, as I hear this is fluffier than Unique, but not as fluffy as Trailboss.

Just watch pressure spikes caused by too much fast powder or too little powder in a big case.

Regards

Mark

One of my favorite target loads for my 1903 Springfield Match 30-06 is 15 grains of Unique with a Lyman 311-284, 210 grain RN.  At 100 and two hundred yards I could hold 1-2 MOA with iron sights. Not so sure my old eyes could do that today but the rifle and load are capable still.~Andrew

Archived