Help me choose a rifle? M&P 15-22 VS Ruger 10-22 Tactical

twotone

Good evening all,

Hoping you can help!

After doing a fair amount of range time in the US (indoor target plinking with handguns, rifles etc), I decided I wanted to give it a shot and get into a few different disciplines back here in the UK.
When my 6 month probation ends, and I get a licence I am looking to purchase myself a nice rifle to use at my local club.
I will get into larger bore shooting once probation is done (bolt action most likely), but in order to stay in my current club (who only shoot .22 in their indoor 25 yard range) I want an adaptable rifle which can be used for (standing) gallery, benchrest and also a bit of the UKPSA tactical style stuff (running around!).

The majority of my club use some variation of the Ruger 10-22, mostly heavily modified. I've been shooting primarily on the club rifle which is a Ruger 10-22 takedown, which is nice enough to use but found the better scoped modified 10-22's much better to shoot. My rifle of choice will be used as part of the NRA Phoenix target competitions lots of clubs take part in, so some pretty small targets especially for bench rest!

I've watched so many youtube videos and read so many reviews and VS posts but I can't make up my mind.

Options so far (feel free to make other suggestions) with a nice scope mounted:

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Ruger 10-22 Tactical (bull bore)

I've watched VS videos and the videos just vary down to the user, so I wondered if anyone could give me any idea about their use of either of these in Gallery & Bench rest that would be fantastic. Especially the M&P 15-22!

Thanks all.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've shot both. I don't own the S&W but I was sorely impressed with it. Accurate and it handles like my AR's. I like 10/22's and have several, but the cool factor goes to the S&W. ~Andrew

Thanks for the feedback Andrew!

For this, I thought if I went for the S&W, I could swap out a good scope for a red dot/smaller scope for more sporting based stuff when not doing Gallery or Bench rest.

I really could do with trying one, but do you think it would be accurate enough to hit a 1 inch bullseye at 25 yards?

I'm sure they are accurate enough!

I'm probably going to go for:

M&P 15-22 for gallery and sporting
Bolt action for benchrest

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

What about a Hammerli ?, all metal receiver.. Hammerli

Thanks for the suggestion - I've not considered a Hammerli.
The only thing that would put me off the Hammerli is the extra weight, especially as I would be using it for more sporting and standing shooting (and I'm not the biggest guy!)

I'll look into them and see what the score is.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, twotone said:

Thanks for the suggestion - I've not considered a Hammerli.
The only thing that would put me off the Hammerli is the extra weight, especially as I would be using it for more sporting and standing shooting (and I'm not the biggest guy!)

I'll look into them and see what the score is.

Thanks!

They weigh the same as a M&P 15-22 give or take a few grams.

The M&P my buddy owns is more than accurate enough to hit an inch at 25M. The S&W will shoot ragged holes from the bench with ammo it likes.

We use "Clone" rifles for some of our timed steel shoots. I use the ISSC Mk22 "SKAR" clone. It is a bigger and heavier rifle but the reliability and accuracy is astounding. We shoot rapid fire on a 4" steel plate at 25-30M off hand and it's almost a given that I won't miss in a 20 shot string. The rifle is steady as a rock. I put a Vortex 1MOA on my Mk22 and that seems to work very well at all the ranges I shoot.~Andrew

image.png.7b6d408463ef8754dfa3a85994f9f674.png

Personally I'd go with the 10-22.

Not that I've got anything against the S&W, but the 10-22 is just so versatile. The OP says he wants something adaptable for gallery, benchrest and PSA and I think the Ruger is more adaptable than the S&W. Put a different stock on it and it becomes almost a different rifle - you can get chassis systems to make it into a black rifle, or a pretty benchrest laminate stock. Equally its easy to upgrade parts as you go - new trigger/barrel etc, the variations are huge.

Triffid 

If you have been used to shooting ARs in the states maybe a .22 AR clone would suit best - any decent one with a solid steel barrel will consistently manage your 1" at 25 m criteria. They are also very easy to upgrade and modify - I use a Tippman M4-22 which I have found very reliable and easily accurate enough. Feels a bit more solid than the S&W, and accepts most parts made for real ARs, so can be modified as much as you would want (I have changed the grip and stock on mine). I think its a bit more expensive than an S&W (or a basic 10-22), though.

There is a lot to be said for 10-22s, but I hated the one I had - never could get on with the controls (and I tried all the extended gizmo's) - it just seemed not very ergonomic (for me, at least). I also had reliability issues with mine (mainly due to the tight match chamber, I suspect).

If you can, try as many different rifles as possible before you make a decision.

Doubtless all true.

I like my Tippman, though - its super simple to strip and clean, accurate as any other .22 Semi-auto and is very reliable with every type of ammo I've tried other than subsonic HPs which do not have the energy to re-cock the internal hammer.

Archived