What waterproof jacket / smock

Ronin

Looking to replace my aged (now no longer) “waterproof “ Paramo smock with something similar for all round rifle using in most weathers 

Has to be waterproof and material able to stand walking through under grown (tear resistance ) and have reasonable large pocket in front for thermal device 

Also need to be breathable as i don’t particularly like overheating and being as wet inside as out

Needs pit ventilation and zips capable of being resistant to rain 

Am considering following In no order 

Colour choice needs to be green or olive tan type vehitation but no cammo 

Paramo

Keela

Arcteryx

Norrona

Swazi

Anything else worth a look ,,,,,,

Not to high-jack thread but I'm also interested in a Smock for range use only, so not so much requirement for going thru' brush etc.

Do Ridgeline feature at the level / needs I'm looking at?

Brgds Terry

Whilst not a Goretex technical jacket, how about the Swanndri bush smocks?? Waterproof, breathable, pouches and also silent in the undergrowth, unlike many of the goretex fabrics.

Edit: one key consideration for me is the length of the smock, front and back but specifically the hem. Most of the technical jackets you see are short, stop at the waist. As soon as you sit down, carry a rucksack or crawl during a stalk jackets without a long hem will ride up above the waist and let rain and debris into your trousers or under your base layers. That can be very uncomfortable. Make sure you get a deep hem to keep you dry!

I’m open to suggestions 

One has been  Shooterking Greenland Smock ,,,?

Gets decent reviews and price is reasonable

The paramo products I have seen are all a silky material. I can’t see them dealing with bramble well. 

As you witnessed I would avoid the Nomad Fleece smock. It soaked up water like a sponge at eskdale muir. It was the first time it asked like that and I have been looking for a replacement since. 

I have just seen the keela heritage Ventile smock and will investigate further. It looks like it won’t hold water. 

24 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Paramo and Keela are prone to ripping in brambles. Good on the range or hiking, but not rugged.

The keela I am referring to is not made from the usual Keela fabric. 

I have only handled one Ventile previously. So have no idea if it will be much better than the usual fabric. 

PS.   Keela use eVent fabric; a country mile better than goretex; it actually breathes in UK conditions.  

The Keela SF smock (and, yes, the hooligans do actually have them on issue) is a nice piece of kit if you fancy cam and pockets  They size very large, so try-on prob a good idea.

Edit to add link (I see theyve changed to something called ADS and got a new military webname). https://www.ilasco.co.uk/sf-mk1-0-jacket.html

I wore my prohunter (6 years of hard use) stalking yesterday for 3 hours in hard rain. Still waterproof. It does hold water in the cordura outer and feels cold on contact points but you cant knock its robustness. Doesnt tick all your boxes but a bloody giod jacket. Trousers have had harder life but still going strong too, even though the outers are pretty snagged in places.

you need more than one jacket to cover all weather situations

Thanks so far

Ive used the Paramo Velez for the last 8? Years in all weathers and conditions - using appropriate layers underneath to account for external temp.

The garment had been re proofed once a year and I did it less than a month ago 

Was out in some ground I manage in heavy rain earlier in the week and within ten minutes was wet through.

I noticed earlier in the year that it was letting water through and started wearing a secondary (arcteryx) waterproof shell underneath but that doesn’t solve anything and obviously adds to heat build up under neath.

Ive been happy with the velez - not had any issues with ripping or wear in high abrasion use (thicket)

But am considering alternatives 

The Keela Belay smock is another option and it is available in non cammo (black and grey - pity they don’t do it in sage green or similar earth colour)

I have Harkila pro hunt trousers Gary - they’ve been fantastic - but again in serious wet I wear  over trousers as they do let water through a little 

They (over trousers) are Arc’teryx and simply are fantastic - but should be at the price.

17 hours ago, terryh said:

Not to high-jack thread but I'm also interested in a Smock for range use only, so not so much requirement for going thru' brush etc.

Do Ridgeline feature at the level / needs I'm looking at?

Brgds Terry

The Ridgeline smock is bombproof and of excellent quality. Its downsides are that -  although breathable - it’s not highly breathable. Also, it has no pit zips. For stationary shooting or gentle exercise, excellent; for Highlands stalking you’d “boil in the bag”.

maximus otter 

Maybe not fashionable in the shooting world, but I've got a North Face jacket I've been knocking the hell out of for the last 11 years, and still as weatherproof as the day I bought it

It's breathable too with underarm vents

Already have leaf Alpha lt jacket and over trousers (black)

Could do with better colour for intended use without the outlay 

Perfect world I would Greg - don’t have that budget free I’m aftaid 

Though have been looking at used options (without holes,,,,)

Try these, but none are “reasonably” priced. In your boots I’d get Swazi kagoule anorak.

https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/shop/fjallraven-anorak-no-8-m-F83242-dark-olive/?sku=7323450064945

https://www.gboutfitters.co.uk/men-c5/jackets-c1/laksen-highland-anorak-smock-p1834

Not quite a smock but,

https://en.harkila.com/en-150/shop/hunting-clothes-for-men/hunting-jackets/pro-hunter-move-jacket-100116129

If our can find one your size the atle smock by harkila is worth a look, but it’s an old model now.

Archived