Case annealing machine

Pat Allen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

currently looking at the salt annealing machine, Ballistic Recreational over in Canada does them. Should look on his web site .

Any info on dangers of 'splatter' from contaminants or moisture on the cases?

I read somewhere that this is a major hazard with molten salts solutions.

5 hours ago, DaveT said:

Any info on dangers of 'splatter' from contaminants or moisture on the cases?

I read somewhere that this is a major hazard with molten salts solutions.

Moisture would indeed be dangerous. I've been around  molten salt processes with work (many years ago). Moisture would explosively vaporise, sending super hot salts flying - ouch!  Good idea to have plenty of fresh air ventilation too.

I'm going to give this method a go - already ordered the Lee melt pot and salts. Figure I'll make my own dipping frame as I have the worship kit and a thermocouple gauge. I think I will invest in a face shield visor from Arco to go with my welders apron and gloves. More to follow.

It’s only dangerous if you apply water to the salt pot . If you use a plate as per ballistic recreations with dedicated holes in it you should have no problems as this shields you from the liquid salts. Always wear eye protection though. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Pat Allen said:

I suggest anyone looking into this looks and researched it ! Target shooter article has incorrect information ! 

What information is incorrect? And what have you been told is the correct information, please?

The combination of salts on targetshooter article is not what is specified by ballistic recreations in Canada ! I have contacted Gary and I will not put the combination on here . I suggest you contact him yourself . I take no responsibility but the mixes do not match . 

Looks like we got our nitrates and nitrites confused.  Article now corrected.   Here's the correct version - lifted direct from Gary's e-mail:

POTASSIUM NITRATE:  50% BY MASS

SODIUM NITRITE:  45% BY MASS

SODIUM NITRATE:  5% BY MASS

That's very timely 😟,  I've just taken delivery of the three salts from APC. It's a good reminder to not trust published information until you've checked and checked again. Thanks Pat !

By the way, although Sodium Nitrite is used in foods, it's a poison even in small amounts so be careful with hygiene. APC send out the MSDS when ordered.

The combination of salts on targetshooter article is not what is specified by ballistic recreations in Canada ! I have contacted Gary and I will not put the combination on here . I suggest you contact him yourself . I take no responsibility but the mixes do not match . 

What possible advantage can molten salt mixture have over gas torch or induction when annealing? Apart from improving the human gene pool when it goes wrong, that is..............

As a long time industrial chemist, I'd advise great caution if planning to work with this.............

Pete

10 minutes ago, Pat Allen said:

Would it not be prudent to put a notice at the top of the site that a revision has been made? I don’t know if the original mixture would be harmful in anyway when heated ? 

I have done.  I've also asked the author to check the incorrect mix - he has done this - nothing harmful happened.

Well I found the video, and I have to say, it does look easy, and cheap................I hadn't heard of it before, so no doubt I'll be giving it a go sometime soon.

My warnings were based on fusing various salts in iron crucibles in the dear dead days of "wet" chemical analysis..........

Is it still possible to get hold of potassium nitrate easily without a swat team arriving and asking what you want it for?

Pete

Archived