223 rifle choice - what ????

My "crappy cheap" Howa 20 inch fluted HB shot bugholes with 40gn V-max through to 55gn SP's.  It was heavy.  I sold it for a .17 Hornet HW66 and I'm just not loving the calibre, so thoughts please whilst I get my popcorn . . . . 

Varmint / foxing / wood / laminate stock.  1 in 12 twist.  Vermin, deer, AOLQ.  No to Tikka / Remington / Steyr / CZ / Ruger, no to sprung floorplate.  £1200 rifle budget if factory

- Howa - Stainless sporter

- Lithgow laminated - 1 in 10 !

- Bergara B14 Timber - cannot get the calibre

- Sauer 100 Cerakote - I like the fluted Keeper package but don't want the rest of the "package"

- Mauser M12 Impact - not in .223 - shame.  Best rifle I've had

- Browning X Bolt - cheap.  Convince me

- Old Tikka 595 / Sako 75 action wood stock and rebarrel

- Sako 85 Classic - budget buster

Thanks.

l have a Sako 75 Varmint in .223, still on its original 1:12 barrel but shortened to about 20”. Wood stock, obviously.

With my 50 grain V-Max loads it shoots 0.25 MOA off the bench.

I’m very happy with it.

maximus otter

On 11/28/2018 at 8:11 PM, Re-Pete said:

Get an old Tikka M595 and do it up....................here's mine.

Re-Pete

Tikka M595.jpg

+ 1 on the tikka

That looks a lovely rifle in the grs stock Pete, i'm just having my 595 rebarreled,but putting it back in its original woodwork.

How much popcorn did you buy David....

On 27 November 2018 at 11:07 PM, maximus otter said:

l have a Sako 75 Varmint in .223, still on its original 1:12 barrel but shortened to about 20”. Wood stock, obviously.

With my 50 grain V-Max loads it shoots 0.25 MOA off the bench.

I’m very happy with it.

maximus otter

Absolutely the way to go,,,I,m about to look for one,,had a .222 and .223 way back and looking for another to keep my Sako 22PPC  company in the cabinet,,,,,,O

I am in the market for a 223 and i was thinking of a Tikka T3X Tactical in 223 with an adjustable stock, either blued or staianless, 20" barrel with a 1-8 twist threaded M18X1. Can't seem to find one anywhere and there is at least a 6-9 month waiting time from GMK. 

Or should i just go for the Super Varmint much easier to find?

On 11/27/2018 at 10:22 PM, David Hancock said:

My "crappy cheap" Howa 20 inch fluted HB shot bugholes with 40gn V-max through to 55gn SP's.  It was heavy.  I sold it for a .17 Hornet HW66 and I'm just not loving the calibre, so thoughts please whilst I get my popcorn . . . . 

Varmint / foxing / wood / laminate stock.  1 in 12 twist.  Vermin, deer, AOLQ.  No to Tikka / Remington / Steyr / CZ / Ruger, no to sprung floorplate.  £1200 rifle budget if factory

- Howa - Stainless sporter

- Lithgow laminated - 1 in 10 !

- Bergara B14 Timber - cannot get the calibre

- Sauer 100 Cerakote - I like the fluted Keeper package but don't want the rest of the "package"

- Mauser M12 Impact - not in .223 - shame.  Best rifle I've had

- Browning X Bolt - cheap.  Convince me

- Old Tikka 595 / Sako 75 action wood stock and rebarrel

- Sako 85 Classic - budget buster

Thanks.

I’ve got a Rem 700 PSS 1:9, fully cerakoted with an 18x1 thread, that I’m thinking of moving on, in favour of a .17 Hornet, so maybe we could look at a trade?

No automatic alt text available.

This is the rifle I have just bought. I ran it in properly and now have been finding it a really great gun to shoot. I've put a Nikko Sterling 10-50 x 60 scope on it. The weather has been too shitty since I got it to shoot outside but on the 50 metre tunnel at club I managed to but the last four 69gr Sierra Matchking through the same hole :) It has a cracking set trigger that works a treat. I first saw it at the shooting show at NEC and fell in lurve with the trigger and comfort, not to mention it's good looks. I'm not sure want you would want a lazy twist, as it limits you to small gurlie bullets. Ideally I wanted 8:1 but this was 9:1 and spins the 69gr bullets a treat. The cheao 55s I ran it in which were nothing like as accurate 

It's a CZ527 with forme rifle stock and can be ordered from Sportsman from Edgar Bros. 

32 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

No automatic alt text available.

This is the rifle I have just bought. I ran it in properly and now have been finding it a really great gun to shoot. I've put a Nikko Sterling 10-50 x 60 scope on it. The weather has been too shitty since I got it to shoot outside but on the 50 metre tunnel at club I managed to but the last four 69gr Sierra Matchking through the same hole :) It has a cracking set trigger that works a treat. I first saw it at the shooting show at NEC and fell in lurve with the trigger and comfort, not to mention it's good looks. I'm not sure want you would want a lazy twist, as it limits you to small gurlie bullets. Ideally I wanted 8:1 but this was 9:1 and spins the 69gr bullets a treat. The cheao 55s I ran it in which were nothing like as accurate 

It's a CZ527 with forme rifle stock and can be ordered from Sportsman from Edgar Bros. 

Did you get your hands on any other stocks before you felt that form stock?

We have a Savage mod 12 F/TR in one of these stocks.........took a fair bit of fettling to get it comfortable for the girl, and no good for a very large hand. There wasn't enough space behind the trigger guard for the second finger, and a ridge just where the thumb goes round. Or you could hold it with your little finger hanging underneath the grip.................

Would have had another GRS Hybrid, but the quoted lead time for a blank was unacceptable, and they don't do an inlet for the mod 12.

Re-Pete

14 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Did you get your hands on any other stocks before you felt that form stock?

Hi Bob. Edgar Bros were doing a package with the stock, I liked it very much and whilst I also like the GRS stock also it would have been far more expensive I believe. I am very happy with what I have. Much nicer than the standard CZ, but at the end of the day it's what lights your candle it is my Swan Vesta :)

Id personnely go with what pete done 595/590 or a cz527 , well i have both and love them , look for donar cheap ish and re-barrel ? I picked up the 527 for 220 . Great little action but wouldn't hang a massive fat long barrel off it . 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:32 PM, gunner said:

Id personnely go with what pete done 595/590 or a cz527 , well i have both and love them , look for donar cheap ish and re-barrel ? I picked up the 527 for 220 . Great little action but wouldn't hang a massive fat long barrel off it . 

Exactly what I did and couldn't be happier with it.  It's accounted for countless vermin over the past few years and even some small deer.  Had fun with it at 600 yard target too. It's now sporting a Nightforce NSX scope.  There's something just right about the feel of the little mini-mauser action.  Stock's a Boyds which I inletted a little more and had fully Devcon bedded.  Re-barrelled this on with 26 inch 1:8 target profile (much lighter than varmint heavy) Lothar Walther.

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

Thats lovley varm , i have ordered a form stock for mine , cant wait to see what it looks and feel like . I will post a pic once iv got it , itl be in the new year ...  ;)

So, this morning, I picked up a Sauer 100 .223 with 20" fluted barrel.  It shoots 40gn Hornady V-Max, 55 Grain hornady V-max and Sako Gamehead 55gr into around 0.7moa.  Stunning slick bolt, great mag feed and lock in and an absolutely sublime trigger.  I don't know what Blaser Sporting do to their rifles, but the lack of felt recoil is a delight.  Wildcat Evo mod - thank you Alison Green for sublime service.

S4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice , love the fluting . What twist is the barrel ?  

• 1 month later...

Archived