Tikka T3 Bolt problem

Baldie, I thought of that also but mainly because you mentioned it a while back. I had not experienced any aftermarket shrouds making problems but only had a few. Any particular brand that had led to this or other problems?

edi

Edi,  I couldn't say which ones in particular. I did have some Australian ones a few years ago, that were silly tight, and these caused all sorts of problems. Tikka now do a genuine cast version, I fitted one yesterday, and it was very good.

Basically you want any of the ones that have a compression spring inside them, that keep everything snug. The shroud needs to be completely free to move as it cocks. Some of the aftermarket ones are too tight on the internal race that the bolt moving parts run in.

These can cause problems. Basically, if the shroud gives an "anodising squeak" when you lift the bolt, chuck that shroud. Not only does it give the feeling that the load is over pressured, it also plays havoc at the target end. 

Yes, a tight shroud will ruin groups.

To the original poster, whip the shroud off, and cock the gun after dry firing. I have a fiver here, that says the problem goes away.

Also, whilst on the subject. How many folk fit aftermarket bolt handles ?

I've see several recently that were too long, and the dovetail section that goes into the bolt dovetail, was stuck out the other side. These can foul inside the action, and throw the bolt off line.

Again, an accuracy killer, because the bolt will certainly level up, upon firing. Imagine what is happening at the back......

Thanks Dave, makes sense. Have two aftermarket bolt handles  and one original CTR rifle left all factory except stock. They all work thankfully.

Also had a three pos firing pin safety on a tikka that replaced the original shroud, was the most accurate T3 I had … she  had a lilja barrel. 

edi

Problem sorted, I stripped and clean the bolt, this resulted in nothing, I then cleaned inside where the extractor claw fits, there was a lot of dirt in there. After a thorough clean with solvent and re lubricating  the bolt it now is good as new.

Thanks for all your help.

@ Baldie

I had an aftermarket bolt and shroud once, the shroud was acceptable and stayed on.
The bolt was fitted, I was not happy with the fitting and after firing once or twice I quickly reverted back to the factory bolt!

That was on the T3 but not important for me as I own now a T3x. The T3x will stay "as intended and designed by Tikka", the only change planned is a pse stock from one of the topic contributors!!

tec

Archived