Walking boots without 'breathable' liners?

brown dog

I can't find a single 'proper' walking boot on the market that doesn't have a goretex/sympatex/whatevertex liner.

What the hell's happened?! 

Anyone know of any brands offering walking boots, less than crampon B1/2/3 types, that are just plain old leather?

True, but are the best boot I have ever used for stalking in any condition. They are all leather inside(the versions I have) , covered with rubber on the outside of the foot. They survive very well in wet, boggy conditions and are not sweaty in dry conditions . Add extra socks in winter and they are good for all conditions. I have Haix, Meindl, Lowa, Altberg, Scarpa, Danner and issue military boots, but the ones I reach for if I know the going will be rough and mucky are the Lundhags. I am not in the trade and have no commercial interest in any manufacturer. I am just an accidental collector of boots(amongst other things).

Non gtx Scarpas?Don't suppose you're a size 9?! 😃 :)

I'm actually looking for a pair of boots for doing a high alpine trek early next summer. Mostly snow-free.

For me, I found long ago that gtx etc in boots  worn for extended periods leads to foot rot. You mention the issue boots - they're made by Altberg - they offer several non gtx boots in their mil line, but the civ line is all sympatex lined.   Lowa:gtx  Berghaus:weathertite Karrimor:someshite    Scarpa are all gtx less than their first 'serious' B1 boot, which is unlined; but heavier than I want. I'm losing hope!

Try Scarpa Deltas.  There are 2 versions,  1 with Goretex and 1 with no Goretex and just plain old leather with no waterproof lining.

They are B0 rated (non crampon compatible) but still tough and rigid enough to stick on a C1 flexi crampon in emergency.

The best bargains currently available in the UK, selling for between £30 and £80, are the  boots that came available after the "PECOC" trials for new UK army kit. If you look on ebay or similar you will find many offers of these boots, Manufacturers include YDS, Haix, Meindl and Altberg. There are a number of variations one of which is "Boots, Combat High Liability" abbreviated to BCHL on labels, These are non GoreTex. You will also find another variation of these  boots described as "Boots, Combat,  Cold Wet Weather  abbeviated to BCCW. These are Gore tex lined. You want the BCHL variation if you do not want Gtex. IN my view, Haix are the best of these.Sorry but all my boots are size 45(10 1/2). otherwise I could help.

Chaps, many thanks for all the ideas  - I'm following up on the non gtx scarpa deltas (I get the Google impression that the non gtx may have been  discontinued). The sl actives are a bit too much boot - stiffened for crampons etc.  

.. concurrently, I also wandered over to the stores this morning to order-in a new pair of altbergs - which I will reevaluate in a new light and increased sense of appreciation, now that I've learnt that virtually all modern civ boots are lined with poly bags!

:)

People took the piss when I raised it. But look at the socks you wear. 

I wear gore-tex lowa every day. They were issued and not first choice in summer I must admit.

The game changer for me has been Kirkland merino socks. 72% merino which even the large brands don’t come near. 

I bought some surplus Altbergs, if only they did them in black...

Lundhags are a rubber welly with a leather upper sewn on!   They were 'de rigeur' as the 'must have' ski march boots back in the late 80s. I 'get' their construction for arctic melt, or working on boggy ground, but they wouldn't be a breathable choice for a summer alpine walking boot.

I've got a pair of harkila, worn them nearly every day for about 3 years now and love em, never get sweaty feet,John Norris are doing mountain hunter gtx 10" half price at the moment. They do have a gore- Tex  lining which says feet stay 100% dry and comfortable , I'd agree with that☺

Have a look at ALTBERG boots in richmond north yorks . I have had a pair of the gamekeeper boots for the last 5 years and am very happy ,this summer also got a pair of their military tabbing boots which are very light and highly breathable so you dont get sweaty feet in our hot summer we just had .these boots are therefore not waterproof . lots of military boots to choose from including canvas designs . plenty of choice in widths too ,if your up north they will measure and check fit just like the old days and give advice as to what is best for your circumstances

Good luck

ps also like my lundhags for the winter with thicker socks .

A little late to the party but I LOVE my pair(s) of Meindl Lugano walking shoes. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn - and are leather lined, no membrane. Meindl also manufacture the Bernina 2 walking boots, which again, are leather lined without a membrane.

Lugano

https://www.openair.co.uk/footwear-c6/mens-c124/shoes-c131/meindl-lugano-leather-walking-shoes-mens-p50 

Bernina 2

https://www.openair.co.uk/footwear-c6/mens-c124/boots-c132/meindl-bernina-2-walking-boots-p51

Archived