Mossberg .223 MVP - thoughts?

I am looking for a cheap .223 to mainly play with at places like Sennybridge G range, where the .308 and .300 win mag rifles are too easy, yet the .22 and .357Marlin struggle with range. I really like laminated stocks and/or the tactical look. The Massberg MVP seem to be pretty cheap, being offered for around £500 notes second hand with a varmint barrel. I defo don't want a sporting rifle.

Howa 1500 with laminated stock look nice as well and seem to be plentiful and the same sort of money. There are lots of Rugers and Remingtons available, but I understand, particularly Rugers, are not especially well made and need a fair bit of work to make them accurate.

Any thoughts?

We have a .223 MVP Varmint for Debs to shoot and it's fine, never going to be a match rifle but for plinking it's great, shoots 69gn SMKs to MOA and I'm working to improve that. They take AR mags and trigger is nice and crisp. There are a couple on Guntrader for around £500.

Alan

I have had two Howas. One in 308 and one in 6.5 CM. I think they’re great rifles and can’t fault them. You need a decent stock though, the Hogue ones the package deals come with are rubbish in my opinion. They would be top of my list for good value and accurate rifles, not bottom, but then each to their own.

My 6.5 CM Howa can give my mates Tikka T3 tactical a run for its money to 600 yards, not in the same league but definitely nothing to be embarrassed by.

Never shot a Mossberg but not been impressed with what I’ve seen in shops although, I understand with a bit of fiddling they can be good rifles.

Strange why people think howas are schit,I bought one in.204 in a grs stock,  just for a dedicated night rifle (cos I didn't want anyone to see it😂😂 lol) And it shoots as good a group as my 22-250 RPA interceptor, it might be a little bit agricultural but works a treat and is bloody accurate.

Must admit Moorlander, barrel life worries me at the mo, but then everyone shooting 6.5 CM seems to be counting rounds! The Bergara rifles are definitely good, I so nearly bought one of them but went with the Howa as I was really impressed with my 308.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, spanner said:

A 22 inch Pacnor by Neil McKillop.  Shoots superbly with my 39GRN SBK home loads.

Nice 👍, yep great bullet the 39 grn sbk, what sort of speed are you getting with that 22", I keep hearing you need 24" or 26"best to get the most out of a .204

Archived