AI AT barrel weight

gyr

Thanks.

I am trying to figure out the weight saving depending on length. Also the weight difference with a carbon wrapped barrel. A proof research 24" will save around 500 grams, same as going to a 20" all steel apparently.

You could go Hardy or Proof Research and save significant weight without losing any velocity due to shorter barrel

good compromise would be 22” finished for 308

If your using 6.5 calibre then 20” isn’t an issue making 2850 FPS putting you in the accuracy node (which is significantly larger with carbon wrapped barrels )

I was looking into this as well, still am considering it. 

I was interested to see how much of a diet I could put an AT on, with carbon barrel, lightweight scope etc to see if I could get it down enough for a multi purpose rifle including stalking. 

FYI if it helps:

308 Proof barrel 1.06kg 16”

6.5CM Proof barrel 1.60kg 18”

Carbon barrels as mentioned have the benefit of being stiffer, with less whip increasing your node size. However the carbon barrel only see a decent saving weight wise the longer you go. A 16” steel stock barrel will only be around 200gr lighter. Is that worth £1,500. Perhaps not. 

Paddy stocks proof barrels and was extremely helpful with my enquiry’s. Obviously there is Mick at Dolphin too. 

Let us know your thoughts and decisions. 

It seems that in order to make a substantial weight difference, you need to go with a short barrel even with carbon. a 20" in 308 is 1,22kg. 

Do they make 20 or 22" in 6,5 cm??

On 11/18/2018 at 8:45 PM, gyr said:

It seems that in order to make a substantial weight difference, you need to go with a short barrel even with carbon. a 20" in 308 is 1,22kg. 

Do they make 20 or 22" in 6,5 cm??

Paddy Dane has a 18'' proof in 6.5 in stock, It was mine for a build but now thats not going ahead.  

On 11/18/2018 at 8:45 PM, gyr said:

Archived