Molly coated bullets

On 11/17/2018 at 7:19 PM, Nick 53 said:

What are the pros and cons of using Molly coated bullets against Non Molly coated bullets? 

Is there any issues of cleaning a rifle barrel when you use Molly coated bullets against Non Molly coated bullets.

Nick

Nick - are you any nearer to getting an answer to your question?

2 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Catch-22, 0.5 micron particles are finer than 5-6 micron particles............

Re-Pete

You're quite right Pete - my mistake!

Here are the product sheets, if it's of interest to anyone?

AC6111:

https://www.momentive.com/en-us/products/literature/bn-powder-grade-ac6111/

HCPL:

https://www.momentive.com/en-us/products/literature/bn-powder-grades-hcp--26amp-3b-hcpl/

5 hours ago, Re-Pete said:
Might be a good idea to avoid inhalation when using hex BN powder, despite it's alleged use in cosmetics...............

https://www.cir-safety.org/sites/default/files/Boron Nitride_faa-final.pdf

Pete

Don't confuse it with your cocaine Pete or your boggies will come out like bullets if you sneeze  😁

I've watched the videos on coating the bullets but it does seem like alot of extra work.i run a 7mm saum a 284 and a 6.5x47 and find myself reloading constantly several evenings a week and more usually.for time being I will keep an eye out for all your testing and results 👍.

My next experiment will probaly be pointing bullets as I've not done this before.

2 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Nick - are you any nearer to getting an answer to your question?

No . On this subject .

Therefore will leave well alone and stick to what I know. I will load scenar L 105 for my 6br and follow your load data advise and see you on the range in due course.

Nick

On 11/17/2018 at 8:37 PM, No i deer said:

HBN is fairy dust 😁.

I've not heard anybody mention this stuff for years.

You would think if it was that good everybody would be using it....!

Mate of mine came over with his new rifle a few weeks ago to run the barrel in with hbn on the bullets,fireform cases and crono 5 different loads,while shooting a target at 100yds. He decided to run it in with 10 single shots,cleaning between each shot.     

At the end of the 10 shots there was 9 bullets in one big hole and one bullet slightly off, .17cal so not a very big hole, then he just shot five different loads of 5 shot groups without cleaning,the best group he then shot was no better than 3/4". All those first10 bullets were only running down that barrel on hbn, no burnt powder and crud like the next 25, so you could be right about the fairy dust😋.

I think your last post about sums it up, another job in the reloading process,and most people can't be bothered!!

9 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Mate of mine came over with his new rifle a few weeks ago to run the barrel in with hbn on the bullets,fireform cases and crono 5 different loads,while shooting a target at 100yds. He decided to run it in with 10 single shots,cleaning between each shot.     

At the end of the 10 shots there was 9 bullets in one big hole and one bullet slightly off, .17cal so not a very big hole, then he just shot five different loads of 5 shot groups without cleaning,the best group he then shot was no better than 3/4". All those first10 bullets were only running down that barrel on hbn, no burnt powder and crud like the next 25, so you could be right about the fairy dust😋.

I think your last post about sums it up, another job in the reloading process,and most people can't be bothered!!

Had his barrel been HBN'd aswell as the bullets as this could of affected the results from what I learnt watching the video's.i am sure I read or heard that after about 10 shots the barrel should be lined with HBN from what the bullets leave behind.either that or the best load he tested was the first 10 shots he fired when fire one clean one process.

Was his running in load different to the 5 loads he used to accuracy test....?

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

Had his barrel been HBN'd aswell as the bullets as this could of affected the results from what I learnt watching the video's.i am sure I read or heard that after about 10 shots the barrel should be lined with HBN from what the bullets leave behind.either that or the best load he tested was the first 10 shots he fired when fire one clean one process.

Was his running in load different to the 5 loads he used to accuracy test....?

Yes barrel was coated,his 10 single running in shots were different loads to the next 5 groups ,but If I remember rightly only .2 of a grain lower than the lowest powder load. We weren't expecting brilliant groups as he's still fireforming cases and bullets were backed off to factory spec so I wouldn't read to much into the groups yet, but I still couldn't believe how much different it shot on the dirty barrel .

Will be interesting to see how it groups next time after cases are all fireformed and different loads/lengths are tested.

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Re-Pete said:

Cheers for the link...........I've been beating my brains out trying to find somewhere that sells it.

I have a tumbler ready and waiting.................and a new 6x47 barrel on my RPA at proof.

Re-Pete

Have you got your rpa back from proof,and tried the hbn yet Pete?

Yes, I've put 100 rounds through it already, 50 this morning, on a sunny but cold and windy Century at 600yds 😀.........it really is a cracker. It's a bit of a voyage of discovery as there's  little or no data published for 6x47, but for me, that's all part of the fun.

I had bought some 115grain factory HBN'd DTAC's, and kicked off with them, using RS50. With a light load, (around 2700 fps), it took the first two shots from the virgin barrel to get on target, and the next four grouped at slightly less than 1 MOA at 600yds, which was a pleasant surprise. 35.5 grains of RS52 at 2900fps gave a similar sized group. A big thumbs up to Dave Crispin, and Bergara barrels!! There wasn't any wind on 4/12, so it was a good day to start.

Yesterday morning, an ounce of 0.5micron Hex BN arrived (ebay) so I tumbled some 105 grain Scenars and tried them this morning, again at 600yds, with RS52 and RS60. The best group, < 1 moa despite the wind, was around 3000 fps using 35.5 grains of RS52. 40 grains of RS 60 with the 105 Scenars will make 3170 fps without pressure signs, but a poor group. The barrel is what Bergara calls a heavy varmint, (but what I'd call a straight taper) 8 twist finished at 26". The bore is honed, which is unusual for a budget barrel.

I don't run barrels in but I borescoped this one after the first 50 rounds.............that was another pleasant surprise. There was no sign of copper or any black carbon "glazing", and the honing marks were still visible, so I reckon the Hex BN coating is definitely worth a go if you're starting out with a new barrel. I plan to de-copper and clean my 6BR and try it in that as well.

Pete

It arrived very quickly, too...........or you could have 4 ounces from a UK industrial supplier for £35 approx..................plus £25 postage !! (I kid you not).

I read somewhere that 1 ounce would be enough to coat around 10,000 bullets.     Here's another possibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DsYhPLSUD8

This is a kit supplied by David Tubb (the tube gun guy). I emailed him to enquire about shipping to the UK......no reply.

Re-Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Another 200 rounds up the .204 ruger barrel,with no cleaning except dry patching out fouling every time it's been fired. I shot the last 2 bullets tonight which were loaded with vn133, so decided to give it a proper clean and re hbn the barrel before I start using my new load with vn530.

Put 3 patches with carbon cleaner up barrel, dry patched out after 1/2hr,. Then left barrel soaking for 1 hr with wipe out/ patch out, the pic left to right ,shows the next 5 dry patches up the barrel, No copper😃,clean as a whistle.

IMG_20190110_004819.jpg

6 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Way to go...............!!

Pete

👍 . A lovely clean barrel, and as a bonus, 4 foxes fell to the new vn530 load tonight 😃

5 dry patches up the barrel when I got home and clean again, simples☺☺

Archived