Tikka T3 Synthetic stock bedding?

bobthenailer

Evening all, 

I have recently had my working rifle rebbarelled (T3 Tactical .308) and had the stock inlet opened up by the smith to fit Third Eye AICS bottom metal. 

I asked if my smith could pillar bed the action also but he was reluctant to do so as he felt that Tikka synthetic stocks don't bed particularly well.

The rifle shoots like a laser and I could not be happier, the mag feeds and functions as it should so no more jams from the poor factory mags that I have had in the past. 

My question is has anyone else had any experience with having the factory stock bedded? Some people that I have spoken with echoed the smiths sentiment that the factory stock isn't the best regards bedding... But I must be the only person who actually likes the factory stock, it fits me well with a couple of butt extension spacers and I have hundreds of hours behind it contract culling so it feels just right. 

I could of course change stocks for any of the popular makes, McMillan, Robertson, German, GRS, etc or I could bolt it into one of the many chassis systems out there but as I said I like the factory stock. 

My rifle is my working rife and although I never abuse my kit I certainly use it in all weathers and conditions, during the winter months it will get pushed hard into service and now I have a worm in my head regards the bedding or lack of. I know that it wasn't bedded before but there has been a fair bit relieved to fit the bottom metal. When I'm culling 500 miles from home up a mountain side it's a bit late to find the accuracy waving after it has been frozen and banged against half a dozen rocks. 

Opinions or recemendations would be most welcome.

Kind regards Bob. 

I think your smith is right. I would not feel comfortable taking money to bed a T3 plastic stock. The T3 stock isn't the worst but the plastic is not a material one would want to rely on. Maybe one way of keeping things on track would be to check action screw torque before every outing. ASH have a small little wrench around 5-6nm.

edi

Thanks Edi,

I have got an adjustable torque wrench that is rated from 1-200 inch pounds so checking the action screws isn’t a problem. My concerns were the amount of material that needed to be removed from the stock to enable the fitting of the bottom metal. 

I have looked at a KRG Bravo stock, any view on it anyone?

Kind regards Bob. 

It doesn't need a aftermarket stock if it shoots great.

I had a tikka varmint that shot like a laser and had it bedded into another stock and did I see any difference in accuracy.....?

What do you think.....?

No..... but it looked nicer 😁

I’m very much a functional over form when it comes to my work rifle so appearances come second fiddle. 

Yes it shoots bang on during zeroing conditions, my concerns are will it be repeatable shot after shot sometimes 8,9,10 shots as quick as I can crank the bolt if I get onto a group during wet icy field conditions in the hills? Time will tell 🤔

On 11/17/2018 at 6:38 PM, bobthenailer said:

Evening all, 

I have recently had my working rifle rebbarelled (T3 Tactical .308) and had the stock inlet opened up by the smith to fit Third Eye AICS bottom metal. 

I asked if my smith could pillar bed the action also but he was reluctant to do so as he felt that Tikka synthetic stocks don't bed particularly well.

The rifle shoots like a laser and I could not be happier, the mag feeds and functions as it should so no more jams from the poor factory mags that I have had in the past. 

My question is has anyone else had any experience with having the factory stock bedded? Some people that I have spoken with echoed the smiths sentiment that the factory stock isn't the best regards bedding... But I must be the only person who actually likes the factory stock, it fits me well with a couple of butt extension spacers and I have hundreds of hours behind it contract culling so it feels just right. 

I could of course change stocks for any of the popular makes, McMillan, Robertson, German, GRS, etc or I could bolt it into one of the many chassis systems out there but as I said I like the factory stock. 

My rifle is my working rife and although I never abuse my kit I certainly use it in all weathers and conditions, during the winter months it will get pushed hard into service and now I have a worm in my head regards the bedding or lack of. I know that it wasn't bedded before but there has been a fair bit relieved to fit the bottom metal. When I'm culling 500 miles from home up a mountain side it's a bit late to find the accuracy waving after it has been frozen and banged against half a dozen rocks. 

Opinions or recemendations would be most welcome.

Kind regards Bob. 

Bob,  check out a thread on bedding a tikka lite in gun project questions & gunsmithing on 6mm br forum,might be of interest.

I have made  modification to my old t3 lite synthetic stock....

I had removed the pressure points from the barrel channel, made and installed aluminium pillars, binned the alu recoil lug and epoxied in a steel one. I didn't attempt any glass bedding etc. as conventional wisdom dictates it's a bad idea... 

The reasons for doing this are exactly the same as yours, and after several years doing the same job you're referring too in the same terrain, thousands of rounds down the barrel and plenty of abuse it hasn't missed a beat.

I do have a PSE composites stock on another rifle and highly rate it. However for the purpose of a minimal out lay expendable tool of work, the above modification worked for that particular rifle in terms of reliable consistency. 

Many thanks for your suggestions, I think I will give it a go although it may have to wait until spring time now. 

I had my new barrel fitted with plenty of time before the season started...or so I thought. Long wait for the proof house but that’s a problem that all are aware of 😕

Kind regards Bob. 

Archived