UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Nick 53

New barrel breaking in

Hi all just taken delivery of a 6br rifle before I fire it would you or do need to polish inside the barrel ?

Cheers Nick 

Put a patch with a carbon cleaner down it to remove any carbon from the proof loads and knock any other possible contaminants that may haves worked themselves into the bore during transportation...then go shoot! 

If it's a decent matchgrade barrel (e.g. Bartlein, Krieger etc) they've already been lapped.

Polishing, with JB paste etc will just erode your throat quicker.

Bullets do a good amount of the 'smoothing' process to iron out any burrs post reaming. Just go shoot.

Will do 

6 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi all just taken delivery of a 6br rifle before I fire it would you or do need to polish inside the barrel ?

Cheers Nick 

What did the person who built the rifle advise?

Nothing 

As I remember I did JB my old factory Remington rifle barrel. As it was recommended to do so , since my 6br is a Louther Benchrest barrel I have no intention to JB it.

I will follow  Steve DUNN guidance for my barrel as I did with my 7mm barrel, Steve ,Laurie and Vince are the ones who have guided me on my Fclass shooting and will also guide me on Benchrest shooting.

if I can’t succeed with the input from these people then I will take up Fishing !!

Nick 

Roy: Thanks for posting that McMillan piece. I have been meaning to look it up. It a waste of time and barrel life. I have always contended that if I was told to 'run in' a high dollar custom barrel I would ask for my money back. ~Andrew

A lot of us have adhered to something akin to the 'McMillan method'. I used to.  Now, I just shoot 20 odd rounds right off (which usually includes a bit of load-development) BUT I'm prepared to spend the next couple of days getting out all the copper residue. It's then ready for competition.

There is an interesting piece on the Snipers Hide forum at the moment - where the poster recommends running-in by shooting multiple rounds without cleaning - to burnish the barrel - i.e to form a hard coating.  Interesting.

The knowledge is out there - freely available. There will always be opposite opinions. No one likes the tedious 'shoot one clean' running-in process and again, it all depends on the use of your rifle.  If you're simply a hunter you perhaps don't demand the same performance as a benchrest shooter.

We all have expectations for our new barrel - if it doesn't live up to those expectations, was it our run-in procedure?  If Andrew went back to his gunsmith to complain that his new 'high dollar custom barrel" didn't shoot - I'm sure his gunsmith would ask how he ran it in.........

2 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

If Andrew went back to his gunsmith to complain that his new 'high dollar custom barrel" didn't shoot - I'm sure his gunsmith would ask how he ran it in.........

More to the point I would be asking the gunsmith ,  how he finished it off ....