338 300gr Scenar - pointed?

Lukas_K

With the current shortage of 300gr Hybrids I'm seriously pondering the possibility of improving upon the 300gr Scenars and developing a new load with them. Anybody bothered pointing these before? What results have you achieved?

I actually have Davy´s die for pointing and can recommend it wholeheartedly. My question really isn´t on the "how to?" level, but more of "worth the effort based on actual experience?", because I haven´t shot the 300 Scenar (pointed nor factory virgin) myself before.

BTW for what you note, 6.5mm 139 Scenars (pre-L) DO benefit from pointing, shrinking the 1000m vertical by noticeable 15% when fired at moderate volocities from a Swede. Therefore I reasoned, at least in theory, that the new L-class designs with wider meplat would benefit too.

I have considered pointing them but not got any further than that.

I believe the 1000yds benchrest record is held with a 139gr scenar shot with a 6.5x47.

If you have a pointer then why not point the 300 grainers.there 30 percent ish cheaper than the hybrids.

I use the 7mm 180gr hybrids for f class.i have tried some 180gr scenars but not done a proper load development with them.i had a bughole group with them but about 2grs less than what the 7mm saum can run them at.

I use the 7mm 180gr scenar l's in my 284 occasionly for 1000yds snap shooting.they shoot really good.definately recommended them.

I've fired the 300gr scenars in a mates 338lm at a mile at sennybridge on f range.my first 3 shots I hit the fig11 down twice.that was nice watching the ETR target go down ?

Archived