6.5 Creedmoor expert opinion sought

SMLE

Hi Folks, quick word from the wise wanted.

I have developed a load for my newly acquired 6.5 Creedmoor, 24” barrel, 1:8 twist, based on Lapua SR brass, Hornady 140ELD Match bullets and N540 powder. I am delighted with the loads performance at 1000 yards, but have to admit, most of my shooting (75%) will be at 600 yards.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m overdoing it for the majority of the shooting I do and possibly develop a cheaper “every day” load, something like the Sierra Matchking 142g (bc .626) and a single base powder, maybe N160 or something like that. I’m conscious too of the scare stories about double base powder and am pondering the rationale of continued use of the N540. Maybe only keeping my current load for those few times a year when I shoot beyond 600 yards.

Keen to hear what loads other use that give them good results at ranges to 600 yards, particularly their choices on bullets and powder. I know the feedback will be indicative only, but maybe you could short cut a lot of experimentation and barrel life with some pointers in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there , 

i have a tikka Tac in 6.5 creedmoor .

my load for EVERY thing steel and paper is ..

44 grn s RS 62

140 ELD Match 

lapua brass ( small flash hole ) neck sized 

CCI small rifle primers 400’s

20 thou off lands giving me a COAL of 2892 

Gives me 2750 FPS with muzzle brake 

and 2700 ish with can ?

Hi SMLE,

I think you will find that pretty much any of the common target bullets in 6.5 will perform very well at 600. I find Lapua 123 and 136L shoot very well and 139's have a great reputation as well. The good news is they are readily available and good value. Load data for all of these are on the Viht website which will make things easier for you.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=95

Good luck!

As above

One load for all distances for me (saves messing about with different combinations and helps learn your drops and drifts).

44gr RS62 under 139 Scenar using Small Rifle Magnum primers, 20 thou jump.  2700fps.  Jobs a good'un (24 inch/1/8 Tikka Tac A1).Good from 100 yds to 1000 yds. Gives about 1/3moa (7 shot group, still conditions).

Thanks guys. I like the philosophy of one load, it’s what I’ve always done, but the cost of those Hornady bullets makes me wince.... :)

Ive heard good things about RS powders but never tried them, so maybe I’ll play around with the load above and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

I've been building/shooting this calibre, for close on 8 years. Always used the 123 scenar and vhit 150. It gives a super accurate load with good speeds, and it doesn't cost the earth.

I too have used Vhit N150 solely for my 6.5CM Tikka TAC1 I've not experienced temperature sensitivity. I found the easiest load to develop was a 139 Scenar at 39 or 40 grains of N150. I also use it for Sierra TMK, which was also easy to find a load for. However, the 143 ELD-X was a bit of a pig to get an accurate load. Although, i think i've cracked it now. 

I initially thought i made a big mistake wasting money on the Viht 150, but thankfully i was proved wrong....

Although, i will change powder next time, (I'm a sucker for load development...)

Maybe one of the RS powders... I'm also getting to the end of my 1000 Fed Gold srm, and wondering in magnum primers are the way to go??

Just to add, i've found Vhits powder data to be VERY conservative to say the least!

Chaz

Thanks again everyone one. Consensus seems to be for Scenar bullets then and possibly N150 or RS62. Think I’ll have a little fiddle based on that. No worries on the hijack Ashcroft, be interested to see how that develops too.

6 hours ago, ashcroft said:

Sorry ro hijack but Does anyone use or tried CCI BR4 primers in the lapua brass vs magnum primers?

The BR4 is a 'magnum' primer - that is it comes with the thicker (0.025") stronger cup, the sole criterion for SR primers. Having said that, some models are more vigorous than others especially those intended for use with 5.56X45mm milspec ammo and/or ball powders, and within models, there are often large lot to lot performance variations.

FWIW, the lot of BR4s I have, several years old now, give higher MVs and pressures than most others, considerably higher MVs and larger ES ranges / groups in my old 223 Long-Range Re15 loads compared to say the Murom SR 'Magnum'. It also produced slightly higher MVs than contemporary CCI450 SR Magnums, but I've seen that relationship reversed with other production lots.

Whilst the BR4's aggressiveness proved a severe downside in 223, the same lot of this model has worked very well for me in 308 Win Lapua 'Palma' brass and much heavier charges of N150 and RS52 powders.

The more I see of SR primers, the more inconsistent some makes / models seem to be and also the importance of primer choice in many SRP using cartridges can hardly be over-exaggerated. So before writing a load off, see if a primer change improves matter. Conversely, if you find the dream combination for a rifle, buy as many of that model and production lot as you can get hold of / afford.

I bought 1000 Muron KVB-M primers some time back and they seem to be very consistent and produce low ES figures albeit modest MVs.  I won't now use their standard small rifle primers though, even for moderate loads in my 223 (yes, I know I ought to use magnum ones for that) after they blew/split at the edges and gas cut my bolt face.

I also have some CCI450s to try but haven't got around to using those yet.

Archived