Terminator

newsatten

Im currently playing with a IOR Terminator,  and i must be honest ive got mixed feelings about it????????????

The glass is ok but not as epic as i was expecting!

Also finding it tunnels really quite badly ?

Any other users out there finding this???       

Its sold as a zero stop scope,  but this seems to be achieved by dropping the lower section of the elevation turret till it contacts the saddle, which to be honest is a bit crap,

Both turrets feel spongy , however the elevation is large and easy to get on, 

Maybe ive not grasped the correct way to set the zero stop, as the manual supplied is rubbish and no help at all,   so some proper help from any one who's actually using a Terminator would be appreciated, ( not Dick Utting's video!!!!!)   

Cheers

I was very interested in buying one for a while,read a few good reviews and was convinced this was the scope for me.Then I came across a review comparing it to the big pm2 and it wasn’t even close. The reviewers were especially disappointed in the glass quality,which was what had attracted me in the first place. 

I did speak to a guy at Opticswarehouse who pointed out that it was worth spending a bit of time setting up the eyepiece/diopter to get the best out of it. 

When you say “playing with”,have you bought it or borrowed it to try out? If you can give it back,try out the big Schmidt ,you won’t be disappointed. 

Im sure there’s videos online that explain the zero stop on the IOR. 

GOOD LUCK

I have the Terminator and have used it now for 12 months or so without any issues at all ....... Apart from having a name that makes me cringe and a stiff parallax ring which due to it's location makes it more awkward that's as far as bad points go .

I can't relate to ' spongy turrets ' with this scope at all   ?

You have a scope that has 100 moa with 52x , a ret that will give adjustments in either moa or Mil , a second zero option on the elevation turret ......

I can't see anything with my Atacr or NXS's that i can't see with the IOR and the zero stop works great . My setup gives me 93 moa of the 101 moa on this scope and I've had no tracking Issues to date . The scope looks and feels bombproof but it's not really like for like to compare a 12-52x scope with a 5-25x scope .

My thoughts are that it's a very good scope with good glass for less money than a standard NXS with some very clever features that I've not seen elsewhere .

OSOK

I have the Terminator and have used it now for 12 months or so without any issues at all ....... Apart from having a name that makes me cringe and a stiff parallax ring which due to it's location makes it more awkward that's as far as bad points go .

I can't relate to ' spongy turrets ' with this scope at all   ?

You have a scope that has 100 moa with 52x , a ret that will give adjustments in either moa or Mil , a second zero option on the elevation turret ......

I can't see anything with my Atacr or NXS's that i can't see with the IOR and the zero stop works great . My setup gives me 93 moa of the 101 moa on this scope and I've had no tracking Issues to date . The scope looks and feels bombproof but it's not really like for like to compare a 12-52x scope with a 5-25x scope .

My thoughts are that it's a very good scope with good glass for less money than a standard NXS with some very clever features that I've not seen elsewhere .

OSOK

Thanks for sharing your opinion , how did you achieve the zero stop? 

as i can only see the bottom out zero stop option , which on a scope of this price is pants, no better than a fibre washer under the turret as per the old way of getting a sort of zero stop!

Without a proper solid pin stop, i dont consider it as a proper zero stop, and this should be clearly stated on the spec sheet.........

Yes the scope has loads of elevation etc, it may be bomb proof in the build, great on a 50 or a 338 etc

but most people use 260's and 30 cals  and there aint many of those that require 90 + minutes !

This is just my opinion , im not trying to put buyers off etc, but dont believe the hype, before you way out 2+ K

check one out and make sure its what you thought it was..........

A Delta at around £1400 , same sort of mag, same huge adjustment range, nice turrets, and a superb positive zero stop, which takes a minute to set, go figure?????

Sold mine to fund some tools, but will replace it with another in the new year...........................

P   

I have the IOR Crusader ( similar just ffp). I bought it on a whim to compare to my March 5-40x scopes and S&B 5-45 x with LRR ret ( still waiting for it to arrive)..

Initial thoughts on the Crusader - I like the mid parallax focus. It is precise. I spend less time fiddling with this compared to side focus . I am not convinced that side focus gives a true parallax free image unless you set to the right position on the parallax side focus wheel - which is difficult  as the image always seems relatively sharp.

Image, compared to my Kahles  624i at  the  same magnification the Kahles has a slightly larger fov but shows less resolution and depth of field. The Crusader has excellent center resolution but an annoying yellow fringing at the very edge of the image - not much but it annoys me. 

Turrets, the zero stop is not sophisticated  but it works. I use a small orange dot on the scope saddle to align zero to. It looks / works like any other scope for alignment. The turret scales are large with large spacing between each hash mark which is good for my eyes. The clicks are softer than the Kahles or March but still positive. I am also a fan of the coiled spring on the side of  the scope saddle vs flat spring of Kahles etc - the history of that design feature goes back to Cecil Tucker. Tracking has been spot on to 800 m  live fire with the Crusader and testing with an optical collimator show elevation and windage tracking to be spot on.

Again personal choice  on turret design. I prefer the double turn turrets of the Kahles  rather than the multi-turn vernier type of the crusader or March but I can live with both.

All in all I can say I prefer the Crusader to my Kahles but I will want to do more testing between that my March and S&B when it arrives.

Hi All , I can't speak about the mechanics etc behind the zero stop but i can say it works . Yes I can also relate to the fact that when the scope is bottomed out on elevation the turret markings are hidden for several moa however i purchased this scope for distance use and the draw of a 40mm main tube , 52x & 100 moa sold it to me .

I don't see 'soft' turrets or any problems with quality of image etc as have been mentioned which is not to say they are not true ....... It's just not true with my scope .

Are there things I would change .... For sure but then that applies to all the scopes I have . The IOR ret is too busy for me with the windage holdover markings and I'd like options on which ret I was buying . There is also the half useful feature of a second zero on the elevation turret which I welcome however if I'm being honest it needs one on the windage turret as well as any changes due to coldbore , mod or subs etc don't only effect the vertical  !

The Zero Stop ....... I have never bought a scope with a zero stop in mind as most of my rifles don't need them . I buy a scope that has what i need and then sort out a rail / mount combo that max's out my elevation on that scopes travel so it's not possible to be a full turn out .

So , Is this scope for everyone .... I don't think so but It does do things that suit my use and I haven't had any problems with the copy I have . I'm keen to see the Mk2 Recon when it comes out in moa as 150 / 160 moa of travel .....

I think we've all bought things over the years that didn't live upto our expectations so best thing ... change it or sell it and move on  !

OSOK

• 1 year later...

I have the 6 - 40 x 56 version of the terminator as well as two other IORs a Vulcan 6-24x56 and 4-14x50. The glass is as good as the best on the market bar none and the turrets are excelent. Not quite sure where the negative comments come from but I have had scopes from the best German and Austrian manufacturers and would say that the IORs can hold their own against any other make on the market.