.303 For Enfield

Maxmaddox

I am looking for a good load for a 54 Fazakerly enfield in.303 I have just purchased, I am looking to use N140 as that is what I currently use in my.308. I have a good stock of 1 fired s&b brass donated by a mate. The barrel is great with 5 grooves, any suggestions.

I have a 55 Faz as well, lovely rifles. I mostly shoot mine at 100 yards as my late middle aged eyes struggle beyond that with open sights! I worked up a load for that which seems fine for me and my rifle which is 39g of N140 using a 174g PPU bullet, CCI primers in PPU Brass.

The rifle shoots well with that, about 3 moa if I do my bit.... don’t expect modern Tikka like performance from these old girls!

Occassionaly I’ve shot that load at 300 yards too, but struggle to see the target if I’m honest, but the load seems OK at that range too. I suspect it may start to lose performance at 600 though so if going out to that range then use a charge like 20 series suggests. Either way, work up a load that suits you.

I full length size and so far have 10 reloads on my current brass and it still looks fine although I think it’s probably maxed out to be fair. I tried S&B when I first got into 303 but only got about 3 reloads from it before I had issues and scrapped the batch to be sure. PPU stuff is good and you can get it quite readily from people like Henry Krank.

That load works equally well in my SMLE and No.5 too by the way at similar ranges.

Viht loading data

I would recommend the 174gn Sierra Match King if you're looking for the best possible accuracy. Hornady also do a good match bullet for .303 British, but availability can be a problem.

It's best to neck size the brass to help extend its lifespan. The best quality cases are from Privi or Norma, Norma being considerably more expensive. S&B are quite thin cases, although they do make excellent factory ammo. I've had reasonable use out of Greek HXP cases for reloading, but Privi cases are far better.

I just fitted a 36X scope on my No. 4 Mk 2 for some load development. Testing the first batch this week, loaded with N140 and possibly N150 if I've time. I'll eventually write up my results, including various powders and possibly several types of bullet.

• 3 weeks later...

It took a while to get to the range, but here's the first results. I bottomed out the elevation on my scope and had to contend with a POI that was around 12" inches high - it was a nuisance. These were the best and highest charges tested.

41.5gr of N140

Privi 174gn FMJ BT

HXP case, neck-sized with a standard RCBS die

CCI standard LRP

COL: 3.071"

41.5gr of N140

SMK 174gn BTHP

PPU case, neck-sized with a standard RCBS die.

Remington standard LRP

COL: 3.071

Range of 100yds with a NRSA 25m smallbore target (P 25M10 BM/89)

300UfM7.jpg

HLf4R1U.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've had good luck with S&B 180 gr bullets over 41 N-140, PPU brass. Has been good out to 500 yards - the max I've shot it at. Full length size each load.

Not sure if it's relevant to you, but I use these bullets in my Nagant also withRS60. I shot them out to 500 comparing them side by side with PPU 182gr match and couldn't see any real difference. (The Nagant is scoped).The S&B's are a fair bit cheaper so that's what I use all the time now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived