6mm roe deer bullet

sam39

Sierra Game King 6mm 85Grn HPBT (100 Pack) (S1530)

need to load a roe round for my 6 br 1/9 twist. Would like to use N140 . It loves 88gr  varmint bergers sent at 2960 FPS Would these hollow points above be a good starting point

any help would be welcome. Always got on well with soft points in my 223. Would like to use the same powder and achieve a similar POI if poss.

Sam

Hi Neil

Thanks very much for this it is very helpful. I have a very accurate "target, small vermin" load sorted with 30.7gr of vit 140. 88gr berger 1/9 twist 22.5in barrel 2960fps.

I now need a soft point type Roe bullet. I am more interested in how the bullet performs than the ultimate accuracy as 0.5 moa will be fine for Roe ranges say 150M or less. It would be very convenient to load with N140  

My thinking was Sierra seem to make good bullets, the 85gr is the closest weight to my 88gr bergers and I was hoping for the same POI. I know this is not always the case. 

1/ i need confirmation that this bullet will be good/the best for chest shooting vital organs on Roe? are there any better soft points out there of a similar weight? I found factory sako gameheads very good in my previous rifle on Roe not sure what bullets they use?

2/ to have a chance of getting a similar POI is 85gr a good starting point? im sure several have been in this position before re a new load. It might be the only way is experimenting? 

Thanks

Sam

good morning,can i ask why you dont use the berger bullets? have you tried them on water bottles/wet paper.i have some 80gr berger bullets that are excellent on roe ,the bullet mushrooms perfectly ,they are an older style flat base bullet and the box says target /varmint  but the bullet stays together and does a very good job out of my 243 at 3180fps at the muzzle.i have used 85gr hpbt by sierra and they can be distructive/give a lot of meat damage /bruising on chest shot roe.

With limited quarry use I’m not impressed with the 88gr bergers

1 roe neck shot. 2 crows. One 4inch post I don’t think they clout like a soft point?

I would love them to do the job the last thing I want to do is load another round. I will try a chest shot roe . Not convinced 

tell me more re a test on water bottles wet paper? What’s the bench mark? 

Hi Sam,

Can't help with the Bergers, but my 6BR loves the 85grn Sierras ! I also use N135....31.0grns; very happy with the results.

I'm pretty sure if you're in the 30-32grn range you'll find a happy place in there somewhere ! As always start low and work up.

Regards, Rob.

53 minutes ago, weejohn said:

With such an accurate calibre as the 6br , i wouldnt be chest shooting them ?

Accurate caliber yes. But comparing say 0.2 moa br vs a good 243  0.5 moa? I think many more variables come in over the accuracy of the rifle after a long Adrenalin filled stalk. I get what you are saying but a chest shot is always nice to have up your sleeve and my preference. Seen neck shot deer react like they were never hit. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond but when it comes to recommending bullets for shooting deer you should have some first hand experience of the bullet in question not just agreeing with the previousevpost?? Having said that I will try a chest shot and see how I get on. If I am impressed I will take that comment back!

thanks

Sam

I have a few boxs of said bullets here but used them in 6x47 lapua , never chest shot any deer with them and always found they needed a little bone to expand in foxs , 95's would pencil straight through foxs but made nice small holes in chest shot deer and expanded really well if bone was hit. 

9 minutes ago, weejohn said:

I have a few boxs of said bullets here but used them in 6x47 lapua , never chest shot any deer with them and always found they needed a little bone to expand in foxs , 95's would pencil straight through foxs but made nice small holes in chest shot deer and expanded really well if bone was hit. 

Ok thanks for that and it sounds like they are worth a try my last comment was a bit harsh thanks for the advice. 

50 minutes ago, Bigkev1 said:

Hornady 87g spbt work fine in mine also the 87g bthp 

Thanks The soft point would be a good starting point if the Betgers are not up to it 

• 2 weeks later...

Update re the 88gr Berger varmints 

I have head shot a Roe at 70M. perfect dropped on the spot good penetration and exit devastating. I also shot a crow over 230M away stone dead the bullet passed through it with little / no evidence of expansion. 

Not explosive like a blitz king. I think less than a V max also.

I am yet to chest shoot a Roe with these bullets but I have a feeling they will be fine.

Sam

Shot in the region of 50 roe with 87 grain V-Max in 243 Win @ circ 3100fps MV. No silly head shots, all heart and or lungs. Not on one of them have I accidentally hit the shoulder, so I can't account for how they expand if you do. What I can say is this, these are by far the best bullet I have used on roe. No excessive damage, whether 40m shot or 250m shot. If you hit the heart and or lungs with the odd rib only on entrance on exit then you get good exit and blood and never more than your normal 20 metre run before they collapse for obvious reasons. I have 308 and 284 but 243 87grns are my roe preferred choice. I say I've shot about 50, it may be more, I'm just being conservative.

They are reasonably prices and good BC to boot.

Mike

Forgot to say, I worked up a good round with N140 but settled on R15 in thecend as marginally more accurate. Admittedly R15 is more temperature sensitive so to be quite honest the N140 only slightly less accurate would have been the more sensible choice. 

24 minutes ago, mikeroz said:

Shot in the region of 50 roe with 87 grain V-Max in 243 Win @ circ 3100fps MV. No silly head shots, all heart and or lungs. Not on one of them have I accidentally hit the shoulder, so I can't account for how they expand if you do. What I can say is this, these are by far the best bullet I have used on roe. No excessive damage, whether 40m shot or 250m shot. If you hit the heart and or lungs with the odd rib only on entrance on exit then you get good exit and blood and never more than your normal 20 metre run before they collapse for obvious reasons. I have 308 and 284 but 243 87grns are my roe preferred choice. I say I've shot about 50, it may be more, I'm just being conservative.

They are reasonably prices and good BC to boot.

Mike

Interesting a varmint bullet designed to fragment is the best you have come across for chest shooting roe. I was thinking it would be a non starter but I have a feeling my 88gr Berger varmint will be fine. I shot a 4 inch post today at 100m exit was about double the size of the entrance. My old soft points would have had a bigger exit. 55gr soft points in my 223 seemed perfect on roe. But They hardly ever exited. I never lost any and meat damage was non existent. Thanks for the feed back

I was sceptical as maybe you are. They were recommended to me by my local gunsmiths Dauntsey Guns who are  in a high density roe area. They said that the feedback they'd had from customers was good. I can't deny it's marketed as a varmint bullet but my experience has not been that of it exploding / fragmenting in an unwanted manner.

2 minutes ago, mikeroz said:

I was sceptical as maybe you are. They were recommended to me by my local gunsmiths Dauntsey Guns who are  in a high density roe area. They said that the feedback they'd had from customers was good. I can't deny it's marketed as a varmint bullet but my experience has not been that of it exploding / fragmenting in an unwanted manner.

Mike that’s very helpful thank you 

Your welcome.  I'd like to caveat my last post.  When I said my experience was not of a bullet exploding or fragmenting in an unwanted manner, I must repeat my experience is only of shots that have not hit the shoulder, just clean "engine room" shots.

88gr bergers varmints.........Shot a roe at 50M in the chest pulped the heart and double the rib splintering than I would have got with soft points, not too bad and it was at close range, 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, sam39 said:

Hi Neil

Thanks very much for this it is very helpful. I have a very accurate "target, small vermin" load sorted with 30.7gr of vit 140. 88gr berger 1/9 twist 22.5in barrel 2960fps.

I now need a soft point type Roe bullet. I am more interested in how the bullet performs than the ultimate accuracy as 0.5 moa will be fine for Roe ranges say 150M or less. It would be very convenient to load with N140  

My thinking was Sierra seem to make good bullets, the 85gr is the closest weight to my 88gr bergers and I was hoping for the same POI. I know this is not always the case. 

1/ i need confirmation that this bullet will be good/the best for chest shooting vital organs on Roe? are there any better soft points out there of a similar weight? I found factory sako gameheads very good in my previous rifle on Roe not sure what bullets they use?

2/ to have a chance of getting a similar POI is 85gr a good starting point? im sure several have been in this position before re a new load. It might be the only way is experimenting? 

Thanks

Sam

Try 87 vmax