UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Depending on time between shooting groups, could be thermal drift due to barrel getting hot ?

Regards, Rob. 

...thanks for the quick reply Rob, there wouldn't have been much time between shots, the barrel does get hot but would a hot barrel push them that far?

Liam

Could be a strong right to left wind as there's virtually no vertical in there.

You definitely didn't accidentally adjust the windage on your scope? Maybe the rear rest shifted under recoil or when trying to 'drive' the gun a little too hard..or not enough (too light, letting gun free recoil).

Alternatively it could be barrel to stock contact  as the barrel heats it contacts the stock and shifts POI.

Alternatively, have you checked your front and rear action screws? If it's a new gun, the action may have shifted under recoil in the stock if the action screws weren't properly snugged up. That may account for a slight shift.

Lots to think about / possible reasons for shift. Suggest you go and shoot some more to see if it's a recurring pattern. 

...great info Catch-22; no adjust on windage and action screws torqued to spec which brings the other factors into play. I'll shot more the weekend to find a solution, thanks again,

Liam

I'm no expert, but as "Catch 22" has stated, it maybe barrel to stock contact. I'd see if you can slide a bank note under the barrel without touching the stock as far up as you can. If it's tight when cold, then even a small amount of barrel heat may cause the barrel to touch the stock channel, and shift the point of impact. It's interesting that the point of impact changes the most when firing the 3rd group. Even a small amount of heat in the barrel could move the P.O.I.

Just a thought... 

Hi Liam,

As stated above many factors come into play, but i'd be pretty sure barrel warming is at the root of the issue, whether thermal drift or barrel/stock contact. One way to check is to repeat the course of fire as best you can and see the results are repeated and check barrel/stock contact when hot.

Bear in mind, someone much more knowledgeable than me told me that 1/1000th of an inch of movement at the firing point equals 1" of movement at 100 yards.

Regards, Rob. 

...full test today and waited between groups, no issues, even tighter groups so must have been a very hot barrel affecting the stock, thanks for all the advice guys; every days a learning day,

Liam