Choosing a barrel profile

simonl

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 17 Hornet. I don't anticipate getting the barrel hot. I can't imagine shooting past 350 yds.

I'm struggling to choose a barrel profile (might be limited on choice anyway, but that aside for now). I would previously have opted for the heaviest profile available to give greater stiffness, which I have always assumed gives better accuracy. I'd never carry for more than a few miles so the weight has never worried me. I can feel my knee moaning slightly when I carry heavy loads. Assuming this gets worse I'd like to go for the lightest gun I can - but I'm not prepared to sacrifice much accuracy.

If I am careful & methodical in developing a load (I'm thinking more flex in the barrel might actually help here, making the nodes more obvious) do you feel I will regret going for a thin sporter barrel over a heavier varmint barrel?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggest even a medium shorter profile will be very stiff in. .17 calibre rifle 

Cant say i have had the standard Varmint barrel get hot on my cz527V , I get set up with crow/pigeon decoys out to 250-300 yds sit there all afternoon sometimes, I also stalk with the same set up , and the same at night (with-out the crows).

All home loads stretched them out to a long way past 300yds.

Archived