Decent torque screwdriver or fix it sticks?

lapua

What would you choose?

considering facom a404 2-10nm or wiha 2-8 nm screwdriver or a set of fix it sticks.

one of the main uses will be the removal and re-fitting of picatinny rail to a blaser rifle as well as general rifle assembly.

looked at a wheeler fat wrench but didnt like the quality

I got the Vortex torque wrench which has been very good. I actually suspect it was made under subcontract by Wiha.

You might need to purchase extra bit sizes, like I did for my Era-Tac mount, but they all neatly fit inside the supplied tube. There's even space for my Tierone levelling wedge.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/vortex-torque-wrench-mounting-kit/

Had the Fat wrench and sold it when I borrowed a set of fix it sticks with torque limiters.

i like the adaptability, any driver bit or socket needed just fits into the appropriate torque limiter. Once I find the right size bit I’ll be trading my Allen keys out. This means that the 3 different torque settings needed by my DTA and 4 different sizes of driver head needed for all the scope, rings and barrel changes can fit in a 1”x 3”x 4” pouch.

I would’ve bought the fixed T handle version, but to get the extra torque limiter I needed, the 2 part sticks kit came in noticeably cheaper. If you don’t need the highest torque limiter, they do some nice kits in their own pouches.

if you don’t plan on taking them off the bench, then perhaps a traditional torque driver might suit you more.

https://store.fixitsticks.com/collections/torque-limiters-1/products/two-miniature-torque-limiter-kit-w-pouch

• 4 weeks later...

I use and recommend the Fix It Sticks.

Come in a handy pouch with loads of bits, and I use them with a ratchet screwdriver rather than the included T-handle stuff. They live in my range bag just in case and my set of four are perfect for my AI with Nightforce rings.

15 I use as a pre-torque on rings.

25 final torque on rings.

49 AI Quiklok barrel screw. 

65 as my final base torque. 

Excellent bits of kit for what are precision rifles and optics that we use. 

0743826A-946C-4CB9-BA79-64C65BB672D6.jpeg

49 minutes ago, terryh said:

If not the Fixit sticks then the Borka is a nice tool, I’ve the older version and it suits most jobs. 

the later adjustable seems to part?  http://www.shooterstools.com/Pages/ATD/atdkits.html

T

I had previously looked into Borka but sadly they won't ship to anyone outside the US. ?

On 10/15/2018 at 5:14 AM, lapua said:

What would you choose?

considering facom a404 2-10nm or wiha 2-8 nm screwdriver or a set of fix it sticks.

one of the main uses will be the removal and re-fitting of picatinny rail to a blaser rifle as well as general rifle assembly.

looked at a wheeler fat wrench but didnt like the quality

Never use a torque wrench to remove a bolt with. It breaks them.

3 hours ago, baldie said:

Never use a torque wrench to remove a bolt with. It breaks them.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasnt planning on using the torque wrench to remove the rail, i mentioned it to highlight the fact that i was planning on frequent removal and fitting of the rail. I have since bought another barrel so the thermal scope is staying on the .243, and the day scope going on a more suitable deer calibre. 2 allen key nuts to change, no torque wrench required and 100% repeatability ensured. Perfick

7 hours ago, aam said:

Thats an excellent wrench. I have one. It was the recommended one I bought when AI set me on as the service centre, and there are hundreds in the factory in use.

A great wrench at a reasonable price. 

Archived