UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

I had what is my third trip his year to Eskdale Wed/Thurs  all I can say is it it's getting better every time I go up there. I arrived there rather early Wednesday afternoon with my partner in crime for the shoot,  and we thought we would probably be at a loose end for a few hours . As soon as we pulled up to the range Mark and Davy invited us into the farmhouse/bunkhouse for a couple of beers and made us feel extremely welcome....suffice to say we didn't leave for several hours !.

The so called bunkhouse is a rather plushy decorated traditional farmhouse that would put many good quality hotels to shame and is really quite a bargain compared to local hotel prices.

Shooting was superb on Thursday with my mate managing to film himself hitting the bullseye at one mile through the spotting scope . I never managed the Bull but I put together a very tight group on the mile gong . The 2 K gong still eludes us but it's just a matter of time .

In short, great trip, great facility, great pair of blokes running the range!

Gluv ??

Gluv,

A more  general question but linked to your post.

in reaching out to a mile and possibly beyond, what have you found ‘made a difference’ when going well past a 1000 yards if you do not mind sharing ( or anyone else for that matter?)

Detail in loading technique? Ballistic app? Bipod or bag? Etc.

I have an  interest in this area of shooting and would appreciate any tips?

Thanks Terry

Terry

Im certainly no expert ! 

For me it's all about being confident about your data .I have gone to the trouble of calibrating my scope turrets also when I zero at 100 m I get a surveyors tape out and measure exactly 100 m to the turrets. I measure all the atmospherics and also ammo temperature throughout the day. I believe consistent reloading plays a big part , having said that I'm not into sorting brass etc.

Believe it or not I think luck plays its part too ! You really are in the lap of the gods as far as judging wind is concerned at Eskdale, there is very little to read the wind from down range.

If you fancy joining us on a shoot up there let me know by pm . 

Gluv??

Hi Terry.

If you have entered the correct info entered into a ballistic calculator that is easy to have as an app on your phone will put you very very close then walk your shots onto the target if needed

NiD

Indeed that could be the way it’s done, I have seen that is the case for a good few apps but believe the wheels drop off on some once you go past 1200 and head towards (through?) transonic etc?

So would be nice to, if at all possible, get as close as possible from the get go as opposed to ‘slinging lead’ :)

brgds Terry

I'm using field firing solutions for my calculations. I had first round hits at 1200 and 1400 hundred 2ft wide gongs . To be honest ,my mate was doing just as well with  StrelokPro.

You can indeed walk the shots in , but you need to be pretty damn close anyway , else you won't see the shots???

Gluv

Think I’m going to start with StrelocPro and TraSol and see where we go from there?

terry