Gun powder news ?

Tubs

Can anyone shed any news on this topic please, I was at the shooting range today and heard a few people saying that Vihtavouri powders are being stopped from being supplied into the UK as it was something to do with what the powder contains, I hope they are wrong as ive recently been getting some great loads with this powder. If they are what or how much powder are you allowed to keep at home for example 1 kg tubs.

Vhit powders are not affected by the REACH regulations so don't panic it is predominately the American powders along with a few others that have fallen foul to these EU regs 

this was covered quite comprehensively not too long back so if you do a quick search you should find the posts 

it is 15 kg and does NOT need to be stored in a wooded box unlike black powder, depends how much you shoot but its a fair bit cheaper per kilo if you buy 3.5 kilo tubs.£220 to £240 on average against £85 per kilo.

Most of the dealers will sell 10kg tubs at a considerable saving................I can't find the reference for how much can be carried by car, and the reg linked above says up to 10kgs under 7(2)(a)(i) plus another 5kgs under 7(2)(a)(ii), whatever that means. Like everything else firearm related, it's as clear as mud.

Re-Pete

The maximum quantity of shooters powder that can be stored on premises without a licence being required by the Explosive Regulations is 15kg. Reg 7 allows for “one or more” of the quantities listed to be kept, so you are allowed to add the first two quantities together (the 10kg and 5kg referred to above).

In relation to transport by road, the quantities are primarily described by the ADR regulations (along with domestic regulations concerning the carriage of dangerous goods). The .gov site has the following document available though;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carriage-of-dangerous-goods-guidance-note-6

This document (from the Department for Transport) advises the maximum quantity is 30kg, although I note the document is dated 2012 and the most recent version of ADR is 2017. 

I hope that helps.

Adrian

26 minutes ago, AJW7088 said:

The maximum quantity of shooters powder that can be stored on premises without a licence being required by the Explosive Regulations is 15kg. Reg 7 allows for “one or more” of the quantities listed to be kept, so you are allowed to add the first two quantities together (the 10kg and 5kg referred to above).

In relation to transport by road, the quantities are primarily described by the ADR regulations (along with domestic regulations concerning the carriage of dangerous goods). The .gov site has the following document available though;

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carriage-of-dangerous-goods-guidance-note-6

This document (from the Department for Transport) advises the maximum quantity is 30kg, although I note the document is dated 2012 and the most recent version of ADR is 2017. 

I hope that helps.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, 15kg it is then. The price of powder, probably won't be many storing that amount at home.

Archived