PGWDTI Coyote 6.5 / 47 Lapua Teaser

Ronin

This is a rather special build for myself to replace the Accuracy International AX I used as a range gun and deer management tool for many years.

The AX was simply too heavy to carry all day whilst working on the deer.

Age now getting the better of me, though I’m still reasonably fit for an “old bloke”

Ive had a soft spot for Prairie Gunworks rifles ever since they standardised their product with the original C14 Timberwolf (in 338 Lapua)

The Timberwolf action has a smaller brother in the guise of the PGWDTI Coyote, which is available from Canada in any short action calibre (if you can find one)

PGWDTI now supply large military contracts and the chances of locating a rifle over here is slim though over the years a few do come up for sale.

A while ago I was very fortunate to be speaking to Mik from Dolphin Rifles at a F Class shoot and he told me he had a new action, bottom metal and mag in his inventory.

It was a rather short conversation and a deal was done  (thank you Mik)

The action found its way to me and I started planning a build to make a replacement for the AX

Build spec -

Needed to be lighter than the AX, but as capable of being used in all weathers

No alloy chassis (too cold against the skin in winter when managing hinds)

Accuracy - "acceptable accuracy to a reasonable distance"

I considered a few stock alternatives such as McMillan and Manners - both offer inlets for the Coyote, but both manufacturers stocks offering this inlet are considerably heavy.

After speaking to Edi at PSE Composites and discussing a suitable stock we settled on an E Tac with additional heavy fill in the inlet to allow me to machine a standard short action Rem 700 stock to accommodate the deeper Coyote action. I also specified no front carbon pillar, as I would be effectively removing that when machining out the inlet for the Coyote action.

Whilst the Coyote shares some commonality with a Remington 700 such as trigger, action hole spacing and bolt throw, there ends the similarities.

Edi sent me a stock in record time (sub 2 weeks from order to delivery and it was custom made) 

Barrel - I originally considered using a carbon wrapped Proof Research or Hardy barrel, but there was a problem.

The Coyote barrel tenon is oversize when considered against other actions - so a 1.200” diameter barrel just wouldn’t have enough shoulder to allow satisfactory torque in tightening.

Plan B - source a 8 Twist Bartlein in a moderately stiff profile. Thanks to Paddy Dane here who has in stock several Bartlein barrels- I picked a Marksman profile which is similar to Medium Palma - Paddy also offered to flute the barrel which arrived next day in the desired spec.

Now most of the components were at my workshop I set about barrelling the action, chambering and inletting the stock to accommodate the larger Coyote action.

A couple of days work which had me sweating during the inletting process (not having the luxury of a long bed milling machine or CNC to copy the action dimensions,,,,) I make do with a smaller Milling Machine, that does what I need it to.

Some progress pics to follow and continue with the write up later ,,,,,

Action has been Ceracoated - satin black pre start of the build.

Bolt body was PVD coated at factory

The build is "in progress", so some images:

Coyote action body

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

IMG_7759.jpg

Cocking piece with three position safety

IMG_7753.jpg

Detail of pin which locks the bolt when safety applied

IMG_7755.jpg

Lightened firing pin (.075" pin)

IMG_7754.jpg

Bolt head - semi cone

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

Bolt body

IMG_7752.jpg

Assembled bolt

IMG_7763.jpg

Barrel teaser

IMG_7760.jpg

Magazine and Bottom metal

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

Stock inlet detail

Compared to a Rem 700 (long action - this was the only "as new stock" I have to show to use as comparison)

IMG_7770.jpg

You can see how much there was to remove from the original stock, but the PSE Composites are so strong there is zero loss of integrity or strength across any plane.

Obviously quite a bit of removed material will be replaced with Devcon bedding compound.

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

Yes sound moderator mandatory for the work the rifle will be doing.

47 Lapua is one of many consistently accurate rifle cartridges I’ve built rifles on ??

Firing pin is .075" diameter - ive built alot (30 plus) 6.5x47's over the years and never had any issue with any of my builds "larger diameter" pins penetrating primers.

Recoil lug is embedded into the stock and angages in twin lugs on the action base, the lug is also the spacer bettween the action and bottom metal - in effect the forward pillar.

Bullets -

Targetry 123 Scenar

Deer work - 103 / 110 GS Custom solids or 123 Fox Solids (both copper)

AI AX weighed an ounce shy of 14 lbs in the spec I had - no scope, mod, sling and mounts.

Those additions put it at 17lbs

The coyote weighs 9lb without trigger, bedding compound, scope, mounts and mod.

So am thinking the complete rifle will be sub 13lbs max - probably nearer 12lbs

Had I been able to use a carbon barrel then it would have been 11 lbs.

Whichever way you look at it, a substantial weight saving on the AX with no loss of ruggedness, functionality, reliability or accuracy.

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Whichever way you look at it, a substantial weight saving on the AX with no loss of ruggedness, functionality, reliability or accuracy.

Definitely, 12ish lb v 17lb is a huge difference if you're covering any kind of distance. Look forward to progress pics :)

Today I'll be setting the barrelled action in the stock and bedding - will upload some images later.

The thread apppears to have developed into a "in progress" piece.

So todays job was to finish off the inletting - a few .000" to remove by hand to allow the action to sit in the stock without any "tightness" - just a close fit rather than interfereance around the upper inlet line where the action meets the stock.

This was carefully done with very sharp flat scraper.

Once that was done and the action was perfect fit, I prepped the stock and action for bedding compound.

This isnt a "how to" so i'll just post a few images of the progression of what I do.

This is just my way I do things - coutesy of Richard Franklin and ive been using his method for 10 plus years...

Stock inlet almost ready for compound

IMG_7779.jpg

Action prepped - just needs final polish before compound

IMG_7777.jpg

Compound weighed out with harder (also weighed) prior to mixing

IMG_7780.jpg

Compound carefully applied to barrelled action and recoil lug

IMG_7781.jpg

Compound applied to stock inlet

IMG_7783.jpg

The two come together.....

IMG_7784.jpg

Ten mins later of careful clean up...(one side and not quite complete)

IMG_7785.jpg

The compound is now left for 24 hrs to cure before removing barrelled action and trim up the excess on the mill.

Archived