Load development

Nick 53

Hi all,

now looking for some input, I shoot at Diggle fine club, mainly Fclass shooting, my current load for my 1-9 30” heavy profile barrel is Viht 165 with 53 gn. Using Scenar L 180 .My MV 2691. 

If I wanted to tweek my load what would my load be ? Is there such a thing of a sweet spot ?

i don’t want to burn my barrel out, I am curious if a slightly higher charge would increase my results on paper ?

cheers Nick 

you could run that load 2 to 3grs faster working up.maybe the extra velocity may take you to another and more accurate node.i would be surprised if you didn't around 56grs.the load in photo was warm.it also shoots the 180gr hybrids superb on that load but my barrel is 26 inch and it's not an f class rifle.its my alrounder.

it's a 3 or 4 shot group and it's repeatable

20180915_125907.jpg

On 9/14/2018 at 10:01 PM, Nick 53 said:

Hi all,

now looking for some input, I shoot at Diggle fine club, mainly Fclass shooting, my current load for my 1-9 30” heavy profile barrel is Viht 165 with 53 gn. Using Scenar L 180 .My MV 2691. 

If I wanted to tweek my load what would my load be ? Is there such a thing of a sweet spot ?

i don’t want to burn my barrel out, I am curious if a slightly higher charge would increase my results on paper ?

cheers Nick 

Accuracy comes from two principle places, powder charge/suitability and seating depth.

Once you have found a stable powder you then vary the charge in small increments you will see stable accuracy nodes appear then disappear if your shooting is consistent. Once you settle on a stable powder charge then again changing the seating depth in small increments will show you the nodes where they tighten then open again.

This is basic load development, you can't just bung 56gr in and expect it to shoot. You must do a methodical structured series of comparisons test so you can see exactly where your barrel harmonics are optimised. Any other way and you might just get lucky but usually loads developed like this dont stay in tune for long or aren't repeatable.

Even for FClass where wind reading plays a big part I would still feel more confident on the firing line with a rifle shooting consistent 0.25" groups rather than 0.5" ones - the more accurate you can get your load the better, all other things being equal.

Am shooting a .284 28” heavy barrel and using 56.2gr N165 with 180gr VLD Hunting at 2700. This load shoots well to 1000 yards. Going by everybody else’s speeds my load is pretty slow! I always here 2800 or faster with N165 and 180gr bullets, my case is full at 56.6 with that bullet and not even close to 2800, tho I am using Norma brass so that could be the problem. Unless your OAL is very short id thought that 53gr was a very modest load. Making small adjustments and testing at distance will always show if your heading in the right or wrong direction.  

Hi Al.

I did work up to 56grs and past to see where my limit was then backed the load off.all my testing showed very similar results.

In the past I've wasted so much time and ammo messing with 0.2gr steps working up.most shooter rifles run at very similar powder weights as I do my homework before I start.ive been loading ammo for nearly 20 years now so ive a bit of experience on this but still learning.i screenshot this on my phone for future reference.i tried 41.5grs of RS62 behind 139gr scenars and 140gr amaxs and they shot great loaded to same oals which were established with using H4530.for me no further rainbow chasing needed.

Screenshot_20171028-081748.png

7 hours ago, No i deer said:

Hi Al.

I did work up to 56grs and past to see where my limit was then backed the load off.all my testing showed very similar results.

In the past I've wasted so much time and ammo messing with 0.2gr steps working up.most shooter rifles run at very similar powder weights as I do my homework before I start.ive been loading ammo for nearly 20 years now so ive a bit of experience on this but still learning.

My comments were aimed at Nick but the same applies for everyone, there is a time and place for small incremental changes in powder charge and seating depth otherwise you wont consistently find the centre of a node.

I would not suggest working up from 53gr to 56gr in 0.2s as that will take a long time and waste barrel life. I prefer finding where pressure starts to show then begin 1.5gr lower. I can't think of a time I haven't found a highly accurate load within 1.5gr of max for a given rifle. Max will of course vary from rifle to rifle and powder batch to powder batch. 

My 284 seems to shoot really well on warm loads but I always back them off enough that I didn't lose the accuracy.my one and only shot tonite was my 284 with 162gr amax load at a 475yd coal board pigeon and I smoked it ?

Spoken to Laurie some time ago, his recommendations 53-54 gr my OAL is 3.117.

I have been told 56.0 is more for shenane (can’t spell this word) barrels. Yes my load is very moderate. Thinking over the new year to try some load developing.

cheers Big Al for yours and everyone input.

Yes plotting ,wind calls is my downside, and understanding what in front of me on the plotting sheets and understanding how to correct. Nick 

• 2 weeks later...

The Plot-O-Matic method may help you with your plotting. Appears to be very very simple and should really help under windy and time/stress situations.

ive yet to use it on the firing line but the author of the blog is a very well respected Canadian F class shooter, and both he and the entire Canadian team used this method to great effect in the F class World championships.

https://www.autotrickler.com/blog/how-to-improve-your-score-through-strategy

On 9/16/2018 at 12:59 AM, sean223 said:

Am shooting a .284 28” heavy barrel and using 56.2gr N165 with 180gr VLD Hunting at 2700. This load shoots well to 1000 yards. Going by everybody else’s speeds my load is pretty slow! I always here 2800 or faster with N165 and 180gr bullets, my case is full at 56.6 with that bullet and not even close to 2800, tho I am using Norma brass so that could be the problem. Unless your OAL is very short id thought that 53gr was a very modest load. Making small adjustments and testing at distance will always show if your heading in the right or wrong direction.  

I think barrel length is whats happening here. I shoot my .284 with a 34'' barrel (Bartlein) using 55.3 grn of N165. This gives me 2800 fps with Sierra MK's 180's sat just off the lands

On 10/1/2018 at 9:35 AM, Catch-22 said:

The Plot-O-Matic method may help you with your plotting. Appears to be very very simple and should really help under windy and time/stress situations.

ive yet to use it on the firing line but the author of the blog is a very well respected Canadian F class shooter, and both he and the entire Canadian team used this method to great effect in the F class World championships.

https://www.autotrickler.com/blog/how-to-improve-your-score-through-strategy

Have they won the world championship team event or the individual shoot using this method.....?

I will read it a few more times so it sinks in.

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Have they won the world championship team event or the individual shoot using this method.....?

I will read it a few more times so it sinks in.

They had 5 shooters in the top 15 at the FTR worlds, including 3 in the top 6 spots. Not bad tbh!

9 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

They had 5 shooters in the top 15 at the FTR worlds, including 3 in the top 6 spots. Not bad tbh!

I did look at the result posted with the highlighted markers and forgot I had read it reading through the rest.i will try and make one as directed when I find the appropriate materials

Archived