Opinions on Sightron scopes?

brave Echo niner

Hi all,

I have recently been looking for suitable scopes to accompany a 6.5 X 47 Lapua which is to be used on deer. I have been looking at the 'tactical' scopes as I would like to be able to dial in both elevation and windage (in MRAD with zerostop). I would want around 16-30 power for maximum magnification. 

I stumbled upon the Sightron scopes and seeing them quite a lot cheaper than the likes of schmidt and bender or nightforce wondered if they could compete?

If people feel they can what model would people recommend?

Many thanks,

Ben

Well I've got 5 of them, 4 8-32's and 1 6-24...........................

As for which model/reticle, check out their catalogue and pick one to suit your needs. They all offer excellent value for money, and are sharp and contrasty.

Re-Pete

To me you're specifying a target scope but proposing to use it to shoot deer.

Most UK deer shooting is done at ranges below 200 yards, probably 100 is more like it or even lower for woodland. At these ranges there is little need for dialing in elevation / windage, nor for very high magnification. In my opinion these things will detract from your stalking, potentially loosing you deer.

My favourite hunting scope is a Swaro 6x40. It's got impressive low-light capability and a duplex reticule so you can pick-up the crosshair easily. All the European makers do something broadly similar and they can be had for a few hundred quid second-hand. I also use it quite successfully on targets out to 600x . . . there's no absolute need for high magnification.

Triffid

Defining the context of competing would be fun.

If you shooting is limited to daytime use then a Sightron 6-24 or 8-32 is more than good enough, I would expect a nice S&B to offer you an extra shooting time at dusk but only you will know if that matters in your case?

I shoot 600 & 1000yd benchrest with a Sightron S3 scope, every month I check out other peoples scopes on the firing line that range from £3000 March scopes, through S&B and Nightforce. For sure some will offer a slightly better sight picture at 1000yds but not that much better than mu groups would be smaller.

I think Sightron S3 scopes are good honest scopes that offer excellent value for money, especially in the second hand market. 

Most UK deer shooting is done at ranges below 200 yards, probably 100 is more like it or even lower for woodland. At these ranges there is little need for dialing in elevation / windage, nor for very high magnification. In my opinion these things will detract from your stalking, potentially loosing you deer.

I would disagree about potentially loosing deer.  I control deer for a living, a lot of us were equipped with zoom scopes about 15 years ago and the general opinion is that we wouldnt go back to 6x42's.  Most of the time I carry my rifles on 8x so it's easy to get ready and shoot quickly but I often zoom in a bit when the situation requires.  If it's there (zoom and dial's) you dont need to use it but you can if it is desirable.  

Thanks for all the replies guys, glad to see that lots of you like them and also that they're consistent across many scopes!

I have to agree with Oak Tree on this one as its better to not need it than not have it. I currently stalk with a 308 equipped with a Kahles 4.5-18 with several notches for zeroing at different ranges (forgotten what its called) it can be really useful to have, and if nothing else gives peace of mind that you can very accurately hit at more extended ranges.

How much time at dusk do you think you would lose compared to a S&B?

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

got both s and b and sightron - for the money you can't beat sightron in my opinion.

the s and b's are nice and well built but i've had vortex / leupold burris sightron and simmons and the only scope i had a warranty recall with was the schmidt.

try em in a shop and pick the one you like - you probably won't go wrong.

I once had a Sightron but found that eye positioning was unforgivingly critical compared to my S & Bs.

I could  not get on with it.

If the application is truly deer shooting, and I surmising here it's gonna be under 500yds, there is NO need to go above 15 power. More particularly, if there's ever any bush stalking, it's desirable to have a bottom end no greater than 4X.

I have heap of different scopes ranging from basic 3-9s on rimfires up to various NXS/ATAC-R/ Swaros. My sub-350yd bush deer gun wears a 2.5-8 VX-III and my long range big banger has a 3.5-18 Swaro. I have -easily- shot deer at 350yds with the 8x Leupold.

If you want a portable flexible scope, maybe something sized about 4-16x 40/ max 50. If you really want to cut loose "coz you can", go for it but it won't be any more practical than what I've suggested, probably far less. If you're looking at Sightron, one of their 6-24s would be the absolute max I'd put on a hunting gun and I still think it's too powerful.

If your shooting varmints and larger quarry with one rifle your alrounder a good zoom is essential for precission shots.a fixed power is a good choice for close but reaching out all the mag you've got and more with the right application will be a much better suited

In Basc the deer department recommended no more than 6x or fixed power as shooting in forestry you didn’t need high power scopes .

if you was shooting long range and had the land and a good safe back stop then a variable scope would be fine.

My favourite hunting scope is a 3-20x50 PMII ultra short. Most of my deer are shot either slightly further out or just small parts of the body visible in high grass/cover. Even the odd off-hand close range deer is no problem with that. I think 6x42 is too much mag for some situations and too little for most situations. Even at low light higher mag really helps you to see what you are shooting at. For hunting and a bit of target shooting crossover 6-24 would be my limit. A customer got a SIII FFP Mil 6-24 through us, it is a very clear scope and he is very happy with it. For hunting I prefer lockable turrets.

edi 

I usually hunt on 14 mag then turn it up or down if and when needed.i would never buy a fixed power scope again.

I've owned S&B's Swarovski's Mk4 leupolds but now i own 2 x S111 sightrons and a Mk4 that must say something ?

14 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

In Basc the deer department recommended no more than 6x or fixed power as shooting in forestry you didn’t need high power scopes .

if you was shooting long range and had the land and a good safe back stop then a variable scope would be fine.

This applied when they were using old fashioned equipment.jeez they need to move with the times.shooting red deer that have a huge kill zone.the kill zone for a munty is probaly 80 percent smaller where shot placement would be better done with higher precission with higher magnification scope.

Archived