22-250 1x12 twist

Foggy123

With a 1-12" twist you're not likely to stabilise bullets above 60gn. 

I'd look at the 55gn Hornady VMax or Nosler 50gn and 55gn Ballistic Tip varmint.

Powders for the 50-55gn class bullets, Noslers website load data suggests Vhit N140, Varget (good luck finding some without needing to remortgage your house!) and Ramshot Big Game (for better velocity). 

Vhit powders are readily available and I'd also consider maybe Reload Swiss RS52 as well, being a very good Varget alternative (not identical substitute though).

Hi foggy Vn140 has always worked well for me with bullets from 40 to 52grn, 4100+ to 3900+ fps.               

40grn nosler B/T 38.0grns Vn140,and 50grn nosler B/T 37.7grns Vn140.                                      50grn Vmax 37.2grns Vn140.                                                                                                                 40grn C/T 38.0grns Vn140 . 50grn C/T 37.5grns Vn140.                                                                 50grn Vmax *moly coated*  37.5grns Vn140.                                                                                      50grn S/B/K *HBN coated*  37.5grns Vn140                                                                                        got 2 good loads with 52 Amax too(can't find yet but think they've stopped making Amax?).    My preferred bullet for fox is the 50grn nos B/T☺, but they all do the job.  all with Norma brass and fed gold medal primers. All loads shot without showing signs of pressure in my rifle,but may be different in yours, work up!!

40grn nos B/t 38.0 grns vn140

50grn nos B/t 37.7 grns vn140

50grn Vmax 37.2 grns vn140

40grn C/t 38.0 grns vn140

50grn C/t 37.5 grns vn140

50grn Vmax *moly* 37.5 grns vn140

50grn s/B/K * hbn* 37.5 grns vn140 . All with Norma brass and fed gold medal primers .all loads shot showing no signs of pressure in my rifle but may be different in yours, work up !!

1 hour ago, richard griffith said:

55 sierra blitz over 36.5 grains of Varget gets me a good group at 3620fps.Outstanding fox loading in my Sako.

Sounds good richard. I think I will go with the Vihtavouri though seeing as Varget will be so difficult to obtain, thanks for info

7 hours ago, Bob57 said:

40grn nos B/t 38.0 grns vn140

50grn nos B/t 37.7 grns vn140

50grn Vmax 37.2 grns vn140

40grn C/t 38.0 grns vn140

50grn C/t 37.5 grns vn140

50grn Vmax *moly* 37.5 grns vn140

50grn s/B/K * hbn* 37.5 grns vn140 . All with Norma brass and fed gold medal primers .all loads shot showing no signs of pressure in my rifle but may be different in yours, work up !!

Thanks Bob, I was thinking 50-55gr heads with Vihtavouri N140 as it seems to work well in the 22-250. I don't want to use any of the Varget I have as I will keep that for the 6mmBR!
I tried some Factory ammo this afternoon just to get me started. The Hornady 55gr V-Max was the best grouping, not quite clover leaf but a 1/2 in group at 100m, with bi-pod off  Land Rover bonnet in windy conditions was pretty good, the Norma 50gr V-Max was pretty close.
Worst was Federal 55gr sp with 1 in grouping.
The idea is to try the handloading, get a recipe I am happy with using my day scope then switch over to the thermal scope for foxing, but it is good to know tha Factory stuff shoots ok, Thanks for advice

That's good you've found a decent factory round to fall back on, not that I've ever used any in mine, just a pain having to load when hardly time for it. I've never put a 55grn through my rifle, only 40 and 50 grn as I like them as fast and flat as poss when foxing at night?.  Good luck with the loading.

Archived