Looking to minimise my cabinet

n8ess

I am considering optimising my rifles to one calibre that’s suits all, l know this is the holly grail and in real terms not possible but l would just like some guidance for those who may have tried to go down this route.

I currently have a 6mmbr for target/fox and a 7mm08 for the occasional deer. I really like my br and would ideally like something with a little more punch that is caperble of taking the occasional fallow.

When l had the br built, l purchased a spare 6mm Brux barrel with 1-10 twist, so ideally l would like to utilise this if possible. I was considering the 6xc or the dasher, l would appreciate some input or if anyone else has had a similar dilemma.

Regards

Neil

As has been said, with your current barrel the biggest limiting factor is going to be the twist rate which will limit you to 85/88 grn bullets, possibly 90/95 max if you're lucky.....i've got a 6mmbr in 10 twist that will not stabilise 95grn bullets well enough for me so have dropped to 85grn that it shoots really well. 

If you want max oomph with that weight of bullet and are prepared to homeload then maybe consider a 243AI or maybe a 6x284 both will give you more, but use much more powder.

I had this same dilemma and came to the conclusion that the best compromise was to have 3 rifles !! Happy days.

Regards, Rob. 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Its always possible to have 1 rifle but with various barrels for it, so long as each caliber uses the same bolt face.

i.e. .243, .308. 6.5 Creed, .284 Win. Just a thought☺️

I’d look at a 6mm. Take your pick of x47, Creed, XC or even .243.

If you want to go bigger, probably a 6.5x284 on a new Borden medium action. That would be my pick if big reds are also on the cards.

hard to go wrong really, pick a bullet and the energy you want to deliver at what range; and pick the cartridge and barrel accordingly 

If I've got this correct you only want to shoot fox and the occasional deer. In that case I'd probably go either 6mm (.243) or most likely 6.5mm (I have a .260 which I love but other cartridges are available).

Any quarry smaller than a fox; take a shotgun, anything bigger than a fallow - well, if the 6.5 can't knock it over leave it be.