6.5CM 123 scenars & N140

markymark

Please see above:

I know it’s not the ideal pairing but is it doable? I have a lots of N140 in the cupboard from reloading .223 & .308. 

Later on down the line, I will purchase more heavier / better BC bullets and most likely RS62. 

I have both brand new SP Lapua brass or once fired Norma LP brass to play with. 

Will be out of a 26” barrel. 

Is there any suggested load data for this, in order to get through of my stocks of N140? 

Many thanks,

Mark

I have a 6.5x47 lapua - (yes i know - not exactly the same ) 24" barrel and 38.5 grains of N140 yields good results out to 1000yds - very consistent. was getting 2860 fps - but the chrono wasn't the best!!

I’ve seen plenty of people use N140 in 6.5x47, reading Laurie’s excellent 6.5 summary on a Target shooter it notes the 6.5x47 favours the faster burning powders and stomachs the N140 very well. But references that the 6.5CM and 260 Rem likes slower burning powders. 

Are there any shooters on this forum who have used N140 in their 6.5 creedmoor with 123gr projectiles rather than 100gr?

Not tried it, as I've always assumed it would be too fast personally.

I've been using Vhit 150 with 123 bullets in my Creedmoors for about 5 years. It just works, and I can get it easily.

Also use N-150 with 123gr , figuring 140 would be a bit fast burning.

tho I have moved onto 139gr with the same powder. (Better consistency in groups)

Have noticed with both 123gr and 139gr I am getting higher MV than what Vit publish that it should be doing.

Thinking about toying with N-160 as I’m in the same boat as you in that I could run my CM and 30-06 off the same powder.

Are you using large primer brass as Vit publish their old data for small primer. Obviously paired with Lapua. 

Will almost certainly go with 139’s and RS62 long term. I know N140 isn’t ideal by any means just think I’ll struggle to get through with what I’ve got! 

With a fast burning powder I assume I’m going to run in to pressure signs earlier to if I was using a slower burning powder? So for the interests of science if I do get around to testing some..... would I be best using some small primer brass? I know they run a lower velocity than LP brass, so can one assume I would run lower pressures too? 

Nosler publish some load data for their 123’s using Reloader 15 which is more akin to N140. Perhaps that’s a start? 

However if wise reloading guru’s say don’t even bother, or it’s been done and failed before then more than happy to take the advise and not waste my time or barrel life. 

AB084376-6850-4949-80EC-DEF78EABBC91.png

Have recently gone to N140 under 130g Berger OTM's in the 47 with good results (as I had some tubs of N140 and had run out of R15)

Obtaining very consistent results in my rifle, 39g yields speeds of 2830 fps out of a 25" tube.

Creedmoor's a bit bigger case so not sure how N140'd work?

T

Archived