Sudden & severe accuracy degradation

Finally got the chance to stretch the legs of the new toy today. 

At 300yd it was convincing dropping shots into around a minute / 3". Moving back to 600yd it was still keeping within maybe 1.5 minutes / 9"; less when I got the wind correction right.

Until this point I was really pleased with it until the last shot ,which printed very high - maybe 30" / 5 min. The detail ended and I had to wait a while before trying again; the first shot of the next string again around 30" high and now 40" right. The next around 30" low and 40" right, the final one before I gave up maybe 30" low and 40" left (all dims approx as gauged against squarish target holder). 

There was a bit of a breeze at 600yd however until the first wayward shot I'd been successfully holding off by no more than 2 MOA with a consistent vertical POI corresponding with the POA. The wind didn't appear to have picked up significantly when the problems began.

The kit is as follows:

Tikka T3x Varmint, .223 Rem.
Sightron SIII 10x42
Optilock rings and bases
HPS Targetmaster 69gn (SMK) 

All shots were shot prone using a Harris bipod and rear bag. I'm pretty sure it's not driver error - certainly based on the success I was having until it all went wrong. 

Scope mount tightness (rings and bases to rifle) was checked before the final two shot and nothing was found to be significantly loose (each fixing tightened a fraction of a turn more but this made no difference to rifle behaviour). I've not had the mounts off yet to check the tightness of the ring-to-base bolts but there's no perceivable play between the two on the gun. Stock bolts were also checked at the same time and found to be fine. 

The rifle has had a total of just under 50 round through it; all the same batch. It started playing up on the 31st shot after it was last cleaned. I ran some patches through the barrel and got out a modest amount of copper fouling (3-4 slivers on one patch) and the usual carbon. I didn't get a chance to put any more rounds through the gun after cleaning but did have a look through the bore - the scope's crosshairs appearing dead central on the target for windage and maybe 7 mils below the target as viewed through the barrel. 

So.. I'm thinking possible causes could be:

- Goosed scope, although it's not seen a lot of use and seems broadly-speaking OK when bore-sighted
- Loose mounts - still need to check ring/base screws but there's not detectable play on gun
- Excessively fouled barrel - I'd like to think unlikely given the minimal round count and lack of significant fouling on patches
- Defective ammo - possible but based on previous performance I have no reason to see why this should be the case

I appreciate that these bullets will get pushed around a lot by wind at 600yd but that doesn't explain the vertical POI shift or large changes in horizontal POI despite an apparently constant wind speed. 

The scope has been adjusted by maybe 30-35 MOA to zero, of a possible total range of 150 MOA on each axis / 75 MOA in each direction. In addition around 20 MOA of elevation were added to get me on target at 600yd but that still leaves around 20 MOA left of elevation so it's not right at the limit of its adjustment. 

This was an irritating end to an otherwise very enjoyable day and obviously I'm now left questioning the capability of the rifle.

I'd welcome any thoughts on anything I might have missed or should check - other than looking at mount bolt torque and re-testing with the cleaned barrel (not sure when I'll get the chance) I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed!

Thanks!;)

3 minutes ago, bradders said:

What's the twist rate on the barrel?

1:8", 20" tube, MV is around 2750ft/s with the 69gn SMKs :)

It's performed very well with these rounds until suddenly spewing them all over the place. The first very high shot (that actually went through the target holder!) showed no signs of tipping / keyholing.  

Was this at Bisley?

69's aren't a 600yd bullet, especially at those speeds and 600yds can do odd things to .223's

I've seen similar happen on Century with the tricky winds, and the weirdest was when we had a weather front come in that brought a pressure change with it that saw everyones shots drop off the bottom of the target

I'd say clean the rifle and try again, preferably in the early morning

1 minute ago, bradders said:

Was this at Bisley?

69's aren't a 600yd bullet, especially at those speeds and 600yds can do odd things to .223's

I've seen similar happen on Century with the tricky winds, and the weirdest was when we had a weather front come in that brought a pressire change with it that saw everyones shots drop off the bottom of the target

I'd say clean the rifle and try again, preferably in the early morning

It was indeed. 

I appreciate that 600yd is pushing it somewhat; it just happened that this is the ammo I have (until I can start reloading) and our club had the range booked so it would have been rude not to have given it a go.

We were shooting 2-up on a lane (alternate shots) but irritatingly my partner had just finished when it all started going squirly so I had nobody to benchmark my performance against. 

Tbh I'm totally green to centrefire (this was the first time I've shot past 100yd) so I'm not going to pretend I know all about wind.. I'm aware of the magnitudes of drift involved from ballistics calculators but was surprised by the sudden shift in horizontal drift and vertical displacement - having been happily dropping them in the bull with a little horizontal hold-off until that point.

I'm hoping to get down there again next month and might try and test the rifle at closer range beforehand to further rule out environmental factors. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply ;)

I'd echo what Bradders said; clean and try again once you've checked things like your scope mounts.

If you get a chance, try first at 100-300m to see how it's grouping. That should minimise any effects the wind might be having. If all looks good, then push out further to 600m. If 100-300m is still like a shotgun, and you've squared away all your screws & fastenings, then take it to a good rifle smith to take a professional look.

I'd agree with the above.  Try it again at 300 yds after cleaning as this should dispel any worries about the scope, but maybe worth also doing a scope tracking test as well.  I've had something similar at Century when shooting 69TMKs.  Slight weather change threw what started as reasonable grouping from my sub 2800fps load all over the shop despite terminal velocity being theoretically well above transonic.

You don't mention whether you had a mod fitted or not (assume not?).  If you did, had this come loose?

69grainers will only work on a flat calm day at 600yds. The least breath of wind, and it suddenly goes pear-shaped (yep, we've been there....)

If you have an 8 twist barrel, try 80grain bullets. SMK's work well in mine, as do JLK's. Even kept 7 out of 10 of them within the F-class 4 ring at 1000yds on one memorably flat calm frosty morning.

Memorable for Stickledown, that is............even when the flags are still, there can be turbulence, especially if you're on lanes 45-50.

Pete

On 8/24/2018 at 8:52 AM, Catch-22 said:

I'd echo what Bradders said; clean and try again once you've checked things like your scope mounts.

If you get a chance, try first at 100-300m to see how it's grouping. That should minimise any effects the wind might be having. If all looks good, then push out further to 600m. If 100-300m is still like a shotgun, and you've squared away all your screws & fastenings, then take it to a good rifle smith to take a professional look.

Thanks - looks like it's back to basics at closer range then!

On 8/24/2018 at 11:16 AM, VarmLR said:

I'd agree with the above.  Try it again at 300 yds after cleaning as this should dispel any worries about the scope, but maybe worth also doing a scope tracking test as well.  I've had something similar at Century when shooting 69TMKs.  Slight weather change threw what started as reasonable grouping from my sub 2800fps load all over the shop despite terminal velocity being theoretically well above transonic.

You don't mention whether you had a mod fitted or not (assume not?).  If you did, had this come loose?

Ta - it seems Century has a bit of a rep!

Earlier in the day I did notice that two adjacent flags were flying against each other(!) so it's evidently not going to be as straightforward as a nice, constant, measurable breeze across the range - I can certainly accept that a lot can happen over 600yd and that .223 isn't the ideal calibre for reaching out that far. One would hope for some level of consistency though; it's massively disheartening when you're putting them all consistently in / near the middle then all of a sudden you're missing the backing board completely at opposite corners!

You're correct that the rifle just had the bare muzzle - no mod or brake on the end.

On 8/24/2018 at 11:52 AM, Re-Pete said:

69grainers will only work on a flat calm day at 600yds. The least breath of wind, and it suddenly goes pear-shaped (yep, we've been there....)

If you have an 8 twist barrel, try 80grain bullets. SMK's work well in mine, as do JLK's. Even kept 7 out of 10 of them within the F-class 4 ring at 1000yds on one memorably flat calm frosty morning.

Memorable for Stickledown, that is............even when the flags are still, there can be turbulence, especially if you're on lanes 45-50.

Pete

Thanks - maybe I was just expecting a bit much based on a "lucky" 10 rounds or so. I'm stuck with factory ammo currently so the 69gn SMKs are about as large as I'm going to get I think.. I'm using HPS Target Master at £83/100 from the NSRA shop, which considering the bullets used (admitted with PPU cases) I thought was pretty good compared to the cost of other ammo. I have to keep telling myself that I'm just starting out so there's no point in spending the earth on ammo while I'm still getting to grips with everything and really just plinking.

I do have a stash of 69 and 77gn TMKs awaiting the eventual arrival of a reloading setup. I didn't go any larger as there seemed to be conjecture over whether I'd get enough velocity from a 20" barrel to stabilise them. There's also the cartridge length issue to consider (in relation to the mag), although I don't think this is insurmountable given that all the Tikkas are built on a large action so there's plenty of room.

How big is the 4 ring on the F-class target? I believe the bull is a minute, so the 4 is two maybe? Sounds like great shooting at any rate with a lowly .223! I'd like to have a crack at 1000yd at some point, but I think given yesterday's experience I've got a lot to learn before I bother trying!

With your elevation going to hell in random directions, I wouldn't be blaming the ammo or the wind. Loose scope bases, the scope failing or severe fouling would be my suspicions in that order.

At 600yds f class vbull is 0.5 moa which is 3 inches.the 4 ring has gotta be about 10 inches.

At 300yds it too is 0.5 moa.1.5 inch vbull.ive never owned a 223 but from what I've read and heard about this cartridge at 600yds is too far and with the heavies in a fast twist barrel it's just about possible.its about knowing your limits I guess.having a 20 inch barrel really makes it hard going so.dont beat yourself up.there is Alot of things to learn...!

Plenty of knowledge on ukv

223's are great fun, especially when you get in to reloading. There's so much stuff to try out. But be warned, the wind will do your head in ?

Mine's an M595 with a 30" 8 twist barrel, CG Jackson trigger set to 450grams, and a GRS laminate stock.

I load to 3050fps for 1000yds with SMK 80 grainers, and 2800fps for 600yds using Lapua brass and KVB-223M primers, powder is RS52.

On a still day, it'll shoot <2 moa at 600 yds.

Pete

On 8/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Chris-NZ said:

With your elevation going to hell in random directions, I wouldn't be blaming the ammo or the wind. Loose scope bases, the scope failing or severe fouling would be my suspicions in that order.

Thanks - those were pretty much my initial thoughts too. However, loose mounts aside I don't really want it to be any of the above as they point to significant expense or a really poor barrel!

Best case scenario it'll be loose mounts; although they feel solid enough and none of the other fixings had loosened significantly. The only ones I've not checked yet are the ring-to-base bolts; which I'll have a look at when I get the chance. I have found a few accounts on the net of these bolts coming loose so fingers' crossed this is the problem!

I'm away from the rifle currently so trying to second-guess the problem.. at 300yd the target backing board was around 7 mil across; making it 3.5 mil at 600yd. Shots were falling just outside the backer on either side so call it 2 mil in each direction. If the mounts are 125mm apart on the gun this would equate to a relative shift between them of 0.5mm total; which seems just about plausible in the horizontal axis if the bolts are loose (and the fit between the mounts and rings isn't great); perhaps less-so vertically although I suppose there could be some movement under recoil.

I'd hope the scope isn't the problem as it's really seen little use and is a decent model that should withstand a lot more than a .223 in a heavy rifle can throw at it.

I really can't see it being a fouling issue as it'd only had 30-odd rounds through it since cleaning last time (44 rounds total through the gun since purchase) and very little copper came out when it was last cleaned. That said there's always the possibility that I'm not doing it right / am expecting less cleaning than necessary.. surely it should do more than 30 accurate rounds between cleaning though?

Before the range visit it had 20 (one way) passes with a phosphor bronze brush and KG copper solvent, dry patches until clean then a couple of patches with carbon solvent, dry patches until clean and finally an oiled patch.. 

On 8/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, No i deer said:

At 600yds f class vbull is 0.5 moa which is 3 inches.the 4 ring has gotta be about 10 inches.

At 300yds it too is 0.5 moa.1.5 inch vbull.ive never owned a 223 but from what I've read and heard about this cartridge at 600yds is too far and with the heavies in a fast twist barrel it's just about possible.its about knowing your limits I guess.having a 20 inch barrel really makes it hard going so.dont beat yourself up.there is Alot of things to learn...!

Thanks - I'm guessing the angular size of the rings is consistent over all ranges? We were using 300yd McQueen targets at 300yds, not sure at 600yd but they looked approximately scaled.

Yes, perhaps it is just a case of recognising and accepting the limits of the gear. According to the JBM ballistics calculator the bullets are still supersonic at that range but they've lost around around 75% of their energy by that point. 

End of the day I don't regret my choice as IMO it pays to start at the bottom and .223 offers a relatively gentle and frugal introduction to centrefire. Once I've got to grips with this one and after a bit of experience have a better idea of what I want to shoot I'll perhaps look at something bigger. 

Appreciate your support :)

On 8/25/2018 at 10:27 AM, Re-Pete said:

223's are great fun, especially when you get in to reloading. There's so much stuff to try out. But be warned, the wind will do your head in ?

Mine's an M595 with a 30" 8 twist barrel, CG Jackson trigger set to 450grams, and a GRS laminate stock.

I load to 3050fps for 1000yds with SMK 80 grainers, and 2800fps for 600yds using Lapua brass and KVB-223M primers, powder is RS52.

On a still day, it'll shoot <2 moa at 600 yds.

Pete

Thanks - looking forward to reloading but that's probably a while off yet!

Sounds like you you have a very nice setup; obviously well-suited to greater distance with the longer tube. I considered a GRS stock for mine but if I want to do practical it won't suit weak-shoulder stuff very well and besides I really like the front-heavy balance with the current synthetic stock. 

Is the CG Jackson trigger single or two-stage? I've been spoilt by true-two-stage airgun triggers so was looking at replacements, however have got the pull down to 1.5lb / 700g with a spring change so that will probably do for now.

To be honest if your setup is doing around 2 minutes in still conditions when punting 80gn SMKs a little faster than mine's chucking out 69gn-ers, perhaps I need to re-assess what I expect from mine in a breeze!

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts - I think the plan for now is to whip the scope and mounts of to check the tightness of the base to ring bolts. If they're loose I'll pull it all to bits, re-fit them with threadlock and start from scratch mounting the scope again. If tight I'll get the gun checked again at sub-300yd to see if it's behaving itself at this range. 

CG Jackson trigger is 2-stage and adjustable..............and very nice.

My 223 was originally built as a TR, (the rules allow 223 or 308), and came with aperture sights, thumbhole stock etc., but no way could it compete with the 308.

I bought it for informal target practice which it does very well.

Re-Pete,

Bigger is not necessarily better apparently  ?

There's is Alot of 223 owners on here.i am surprised this thread hasn't been inundated with replies.ive nearly got one a few times but everytime opted for the bigger cals.my smaller calibre of choice for next rebarrel would be a 6mm br.i watched a mate shooting his today and its incredibly accurate at 300yds.he fired about 30 shots at the 300yds f open size target and he had about 25 vbulls and five 5's.vbull is 1.5 inches.they don't call him Justin credible for nothing ?.the wind probaly blew most of them back on target ?.It's a nice soft shooter too.it will be equally at home at 600yds too.

If you want that kind of performance up to 600yds, first choice has to be a 6BR with an 8 twist barrel..............plus 105 Scenar "L"'s, RS52 powder, Lapua brass, and KVB-223M primers.

A 30" barrel is nice for trying to keep 'em in the F-class 4 ring at 1000yds. On Stickledown, that can be hard, but great fun all the same................

Re-Pete

On 8/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, Re-Pete said:

CG Jackson trigger is 2-stage and adjustable..............and very nice.

My 223 was originally built as a TR, (the rules allow 223 or 308), and came with aperture sights, thumbhole stock etc., but no way could it compete with the 308.

I bought it for informal target practice which it does very well.

Re-Pete,

Thanks - sounds very pleasant :)

On 8/26/2018 at 8:50 PM, No i deer said:

Bigger is not necessarily better apparently  ?

There's is Alot of 223 owners on here.i am surprised this thread hasn't been inundated with replies.ive nearly got one a few times but everytime opted for the bigger cals.my smaller calibre of choice for next rebarrel would be a 6mm br.i watched a mate shooting his today and its incredibly accurate at 300yds.he fired about 30 shots at the 300yds f open size target and he had about 25 vbulls and five 5's.vbull is 1.5 inches.they don't call him Justin credible for nothing ?.the wind probaly blew most of them back on target ?.It's a nice soft shooter too.it will be equally at home at 600yds too.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, Re-Pete said:

If you want that kind of performance up to 600yds, first choice has to be a 6BR with an 8 twist barrel..............plus 105 Scenar "L"'s, RS52 powder, Lapua brass, and KVB-223M primers.

A 30" barrel is nice for trying to keep 'em in the F-class 4 ring at 1000yds. On Stickledown, that can be hard, but great fun all the same................

Re-Pete

Thanks - in response to both the above my limited experience would agree - Thursday's range visit saw some time in the butts while a much more seasoned CF shooter was planting lots in the middle with his 6mm BR!

A spreadsheet is currently being constructed to compare the relative merits of some of the popular 6 and 6.5mm cartridges (BR, PPC, Creedmore, Swede, .260 Rem) as well as the venerable .308, although...

23 hours ago, No i deer said:

Fun is what it's all about.i know quite a few shooters who have the bigger more capable calibre rifles yet they choose to do it with a less capable calibre.

Indeed - I'm currently happy to be learning the ropes with the .223 at the moment and see no point in chucking more money I can't afford at missing at longer ranges with a new gun and more expensive ammo.. it's always good to do some number-crunching to allow the slow and considered formulation of what might come next though!

So.. I've had the chance to play with the rifle a little and nothing appears loose - whipped the scope and mounts off and the base to ring bolts are still holding at the 5Nm they were torqued to when initially assembled. I also tweaked the ring caps bolts again - interestingly for the 2nd time I got a uniform amount of angular displacement out of them before the torque screwdriver clicked over; however I think this might just be the plastic inserts in the rings "settling". It all certainly seems to be gripped tight enough as the scope's not moved axially in the rings under recoil.

I'm still a bit perplexed by Thursday's problems as the total movement on the target from one shot (low and extreme right) to the next (low and extreme left) was probably about 4 mil.. the calculated deflection at that range with a 10mph wind is 2.3 mil; meaning the wind would have had to have changed by around 17mph to cause that shift - 13mph if we allow 1 mil for group dispersion. I'm still not hugely convinced tbh.. by contrast earlier I was holding off for wind by around 0.5-0.75 mil which would suggest a breeze of around 2.5-3mph.. gusting to 8-9mph to push it off to the right then back the other way by the same amount to push it off to the left. Possible I suppose, but still doesn't explain the vertical component. 

Anyway, looks like I'm back to testing at short range, then. Thanks for the replies!

On 8/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, No i deer said:

Tell that to the 130 or so souls that line up at Bisley to shoot CSR at 600 yards. We do it with 20" or sometimes less.

To do it with a .223, you need everything right.

Get yourself some decent ammo buddy. ?

What Baldie said.............with a decent barrel etc., the 223 is very capable, but only if you feed it properly.

Pete

33 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

What Baldie said.............with a decent barrel etc., the 223 is very capable, but only if you feed it properly.

Pete

If you shoot it properly......

while we have some excellent shooters in CSR, many of whom shoot the very best ammo they can muster, we do still get beaten on a regular basis by a former 2 times Queens Medal winner who shoots RGs unfinest 62gn ball ammo

Sounds like he/she REALLY knows the rifle, and how to read the wind.

It backs up my comments on another thread where everyone was getting a bit anal about MV, ES, and SD.................at the end of the day, it's group size that matters, and your ability to put the centre of the group in the right place.

Pete

11 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Sounds like he/she REALLY knows the rifle, and how to read the wind.

It backs up my comments on another thread where everyone was getting a bit anal about MV, ES, and SD.................at the end of the day, it's group size that matters, and your ability to put the centre of the group in the right place.

Pete

Correct, although I will add that match grade bullets will always shoot better than open base FMJ types, you do need good quality heavy bullets to get the best out of your rifle at the longer distances and some of my best performances with .223 from 600-1000yds have always been shot with 80gn JLk VLDs

I have very accurate .223, Lilja 1:6 twist barrel at 22" and have never tried 69gr, nor did I ever bother to try the 90gr vld which its throated for, I have 60gr Berger match varmints (h335) for foxing and 75gr Amax (N140) for longer range ie out to 1100yds, both rounds/loads shoot 1/4 moa at 100.

With 75gr shooting steel in mountain locations with extremely varied topography I have no issues at 600 to 850, after that the wind can play havoc with drop and windage, especially shooting across undulating terrain, with spurs and re-entrants several metres high/deep etc but with .308 running rounds with a very close BC, the same thing can also happen. But for that to happen across the flat gallery range, something is not quiet right, Im sure a logical investigation, starting with, as you have done, looking at things that can become loose, scopes that are defective and also adding in shooter errors.

All the best, as there is nothing more challenging mentally, than not learning why you missed the target. Until you have nailed the problem, learning can't take place.

10 hours ago, bradders said:

Correct, although I will add that match grade bullets will always shoot better than open base FMJ types, you do need good quality heavy bullets to get the best out of your rifle at the longer distances and some of my best performances with .223 from 600-1000yds have always been shot with 80gn JLk VLDs

Yes.  People often beat themselves up about group sizes and chase tiny ES figures getting really anal about reloading, paying scant attention to bullet choice.  It's not just important, it's critical, especially where shooting in competition, to pick the right bullet.

We were shooting 600m today and several were using 20 inch .223's with 77gr smks.  No shortage of Vee bulls.  Light winds helped, but so did using the right twist with 77gr smks driven reasonably hard which was all that was needed to place a good percentage in the "4" ring.  By contrast, those of us using 6.5s were landing about the same proportion in the veebull( and that is exactly what should be expected from 6.5s!).  223 is more than capable at 600yds...it's pushing out much beyond that where it can get very sketchy, very quickly, with slower twist rifles and lighter, shorter bullets, especially when wind is thrown into the equation.

As Mark says above, at 600, on a reasonable day on a flat range, to scatter 223's across the target would suggest that something, somewhere, is not right.  I would argue that perhaps the 69smk is not ideal at that range...the 77gr HPBT being by far the better choice.  I would suggest that rather than a kit issue it could perhaps be a combination bullet and trigger technique where the spotlight should fall.  As an example, when dropping a large proportion of 6.5s into the centre, I wondered what effects at that range that slight trigger technique changes would make. I deliberately altered my trigger pull a little, and reckon that whilst still concentrating on the sight picture, breathing and body position, by adapting a technique change such as gripping a little firmer with the thumb on the grip or pulling the trigger with a slightly fuller reach, in both cases it opened up groups from around 4 or 5 inches to around 8 (ie from centre ring to 4 ring).  It also pulled them off a little to one side.  That was deliberate but still trying to keep things steady.  Don't under estimate the importance of both bullet choice and technique...both play a huge part in consistency and precision.