Worn threads, Rem 700

Akeld

I've just bought a Rem 700 which I intend to use as a dedicated NV rifle, I've noticed the threads in the action for the bases are quite worn and I'm not convinced they'll secure a rail to the action as they are.  I intend to rethread in a slightly larger size to allow me to fit the rail, is there any reason I shouldn't or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice

6 hours ago, Akeld said:

I've just bought a Rem 700 which I intend to use as a dedicated NV rifle, I've noticed the threads in the action for the bases are quite worn and I'm not convinced they'll secure a rail to the action as they are.  I intend to rethread in a slightly larger size to allow me to fit the rail, is there any reason I shouldn't or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks for any advice

The original threads are 6-48 and it is common to open them up to 8-40

The only problem might be the front screw as you will bottom out against the tenon thread for the barrel......unless you can remove the barrel first

• 2 weeks later...

On closer inspection (threads looked quite sharp) it appears the reason the 6-48 bolts supplied with the rail didn't hold was due to the action already being tapped M4, now sorted with correct size and secure

Archived