first 223 reload

Del

hi all

so to start totally new to reloading got a tikka t3x 223 with 1:8 twist , the first bullet am going to try to reload is a tipped sierra matchking 69gn and swiss RS40 powder going with the swiss book i got with the powder my min charge is 21.3gn and max charge 23.9gn , so am going to start at the low end first but what increments do i move up is .1 or .2 increments big enough to see a difference ?

also c.o.a.l

tell me if am doing this right or wrong probably , i made up a dummy round on purpose to long put in to rifle and tried the bolt wouldn't close moved the seating depth in very small touches an 8th to 16th of a turn on the seating die each time until my bolt would close smoothly . the measurement i got was 2.275 this was to long for my mag so i continued to seat deeper to fit my mag this measurement is now 2.250 do i go with this measurement ? being a bit of a will i won't i person i checked some measurements on some shop bought ammo and they all range from 2.149 to 2.197 and the lee reloading book tells me my c.o.a.l is 2.260 so am i good to go at 2.250 or should i bring it deeper??? 

sorry if its a bit long winded

all the best del

Del,

have you run your required load through a ballistic programme? It would give you min and max recommendation  it will Take into account al the variables. Normally load up on .2 increments.

any experiance re loaders near you that can help / teach you to develop your first round? Even if you have to pay it would be money well spent.

Good luck it’s not too complicated But it must be safe and your gear must be set up and calibrated correctly a bit of reasurance  to start with is worth its weight in gold.

good luck its a great thing to load your own

Work up the charge as you feel is right. .1 is fine if not a bit tedious at a a 2.7 grain spread. I start at the bottom and load a full caseguard and really wring it out. Does it shoot well? Does it perform the way i'd like it to? A Chrono is a boon.

Yes. Just seat the bullet to the recommended over-all length. I do for my T3 223's in both 8" and 10" twists. They shoot marvelously.~Andrew

You will be just fine with your max mag length if you just intend to mag feed all the time. You could start a little above minimum[never been there} and go .3,s for at least half a dozen loads,,,,something will show up and enable you to fine tune it for sure..O

Something I've always done is try to find a factory round that shoots well i.e. groups well. This gives me a lot of information and helps barel run in The ones that don't shoot well can an be used as a fouling shots after cleaning.How ever I'm struggling at present to find anything that groups well in my new 243 so now I'm trying the 10 shot ladder test (google 6.5 guys ladder test on YouTube) you will need a chrono to use this method and really it's an important thing to have for load testing and development.Always start at book starting load to be safe and I work up in .2 or .3 of a grain.

seating depth comes after speed/powder wait in my view.

2 minutes ago, bradders said:

Everyone managed quite well working up loads before the ballistic program came along

At least no one has mentioned the Q****load word yet!!!

books books and ye internet lol although none of the books have the swiss rs40 powder in them 

2 minutes ago, Del said:

books books and ye internet lol although none of the books have the swiss rs40 powder in them 

OK here's my advice:

Load to 2.250", a few will come out longer (and shorter) but aim so none are longer than 2.260"

Load 20 or so and find the longest one and set it to no more than 2.260" and be done

RS40 load data for a 69 starts at 21.3 and goes up to 23.9gns

Work up in .2-.3 increments and watch for pressure but concentrate on accuracy as well

Don't worry about velocity, you can check that later, but it won't make a difference to your life ?

1 minute ago, Roy W said:

The Reload Swiss data book does

yep it does that's where i got my low and max charges from just of bullet weight not the type if that makes any sence

2 hours ago, bradders said:

Everyone managed quite well working up loads before the ballistic program came along

At least no one has mentioned the Q****load word yet!!!

It’s not a bad place for someone starting out AND it would have that bullet and that powder combination 

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 69's loaded to 2.25 COL and a 24.7gr load using RS50.  Very accurate load from my 26" 1/8.  MVs around the 2830 mark.    No QL involved but I admit to using Scott Satterlee's method to find a plateau which was then checked for group size and ES.     Otherwise start low and work up looking for the low vertical dispersion  group which falls central to the groups either side of it on group centre.                                           

well here are some of the results still playing with it all shot at 100yds the low shot on the 21.4 gn was me i pulled the shot then 3 all within an 1inch done 21.4 again just to check and still got to do 22.6 and up going to do 22.4 again aswell

target 223.jpg

Archived