Borden Mountaineer 7mm-08

Just completed this rather special build

Borden Mountaineer short action which has been PVD coated at source along with the picatinny rail, bolt and recoil lug.

Action was specced by customer as right bolt, left port eject, capable of taking / feeding AW mags

Barrel is fluted Sassen finished at 24”, chambered minimum SAAMI spec reamer in 7mm-08  Remington. Barrel threaded at M18 x 1mm with protective cap. Profile is med Palma.

Stock is PSE Composites E-Tac, with addition flush cups and picatinny rail under the forend and butt.

Stock is finished in cerakote by PSE to their usual high standard.

Modification had to be made to the stock to accommodate left port eject, which I finished with carbon fibre cloth weave to protect and seal the alteration.

Bottom metal is Atlasworxs with new style mag release within the trigger guard.

A DPT 7mm moderator has been supplied which, along with the barrel and a set of March polished 34mm rings have been Cerakoted in Matt Black by Liquid Steel Design at Preston to their usual high standard.

The barrelled action has been bedded using Devcon to the stock - whilst not strictly necessary with PSE stocks, I always prefer to do this with any build as it leaves no possible margin of error of fit bettween both surfaces.

Trigger is a Triggertech unit, superb release.

Magazines supplied by the customer are American Rifle Company AICS style - a slight modification was required to the bottom metal to allow perfect fit and release.

The build is very high spec, using only the best components and I look forwards to seeing how the rifle shoots in the hands of its owner.

Images will be uploaded tomorrow.

Images

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7364.jpg

IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

This looks awesome .

You know, I have wanted you to fit my 284 barrelled action into one of the pse e-tac stocks for ages now to save a bit of weight but I seem to be struggling to give up the pistol grip of the dolphin stock . 

My action is also right bolt left port and this stock has nearly everything I would need except the ability to mount a front NV rail . 

A NV / Accessory rail is available from PSE to fit forward of sight accessories ...

New photo booth is in progress, along with numerous other diy jobs around the house ?

Forgot to tidy the Biochem books away - bit of light reading,,,

2 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

Very nice looking rifle , whats the theory of left hand port / right hand bolt ? 

Customer specified this orientation.

I believe the rifle will be used at extended range from static position.

Brass easy to collect if ejected to nearside ?

Its a configuration that is used in F Class, think the theory is sound but takes getting used to warm cases travelling towards the face.

Its exactly what the customer wanted.

5 hours ago, Moorlander said:

Very nice looking rifle , whats the theory of left hand port / right hand bolt ? 

For me it's for easy loading and as I do a lot of shooting with in long grass in daytime and in the dark etc I just lift up my left hand and eject the case into it rather than digging about in the grass trying to find it . I reckon I have saved a couple of hundred £ in brass that I would of otherwise lost .

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, 17 Rem said:

Is it just the photos or does the lettering on the side of the action have Devcon in it?

There is no bedding compound in any of the lettering.

Possibly a combination of my phones camera facility and the light reflecting off the smaller letters when I took the images.

There may be some overspray of Napier in there.

A shade over 900 gramms with the extra picatinny rail and bedding

• 2 months later...

Now out and working. It’s been run out to 400 yards at Eskdalemuir, where it rang the small gong with metronomic regularity. It carries nicely, shoots nicely and cleans easily. I’m looking forward to developing a solids load for the coming hind cull and seeing how it goes.. 

C4D9F633-2F65-4BAE-8B7A-F797375B6659.jpeg

5-20 (illum) it is. I can’t remember why it was the 5- rather than the 3-, it might’ve been the space on the tube for rings.

22 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

The 5-20X50 is the one that is a pain to fit in one piece mounts. 

However it is also a lot smaller than the 3-20X50. 

Eddie if you can sacrifice the lower mag give it a try. So glad I did. 

That sounds about right, sphur do a specific one piece for it, but already had a 20 moa rail so went for separate rings.

well worth a look thru, delightfully light and can have real low turrets, if that’s important to you. I’m glad I traded my older 3-20 pm II for it.

Archived