Cheap Trail Cams wanted, for helping the decimated Hedge Hog population.

chaz

Hi folks,

As above, I'm after a cheap NV type trail cam (2 if possible) to get an idea how our hedge hogs are doing. According to our local Vale Wildlife Center, this summer has decimated their numbers. Yes there are small pockets of them doing well, but their numbers have halved in the last 18 years alone! And according to the Guardian there are around only 1 million left in the UK, representing a 97% fall from the estimated 30 million recorded in the 1950's. I put out water and food, but i'd like to be able to count their number and be sure their getting water and dog/cat food, (and not the cats eating it) along with a few dry meal worms. You should not over do the the meal worms as it can cause a severe calcium deficiency in their bones, causing a slow painful death. Used trail cams would also be great, like the cheap Lidl's versions they sold some time back, which i missed out on. I'm on a tight budget, but want to help reduce the serious decline in their numbers if possible. I've managed to save several found severely dehydrated in my garden. If possible, please could i ask that you folks, (If your not already doing it) to put out a saucer of water in their front and back gardens. It appears (to me at least) that I've made a small difference for the numbers around my area, as i have regular night/early hour visits from the few I have seen and rescued. But a trail cam would show definite evidence. Please could i ask that any of you good folks leaving a drink out for them, not to put milk out, as they are intolerant to it, and it makes them sick.

Sorry to rattle on, and sound like a scrounger. I'll pay what i can if i can afford any that may be for sale.... I just want to help as much as i can during these severe weather conditions, and their general decline. And to be honest, I've been very taken by them as they're just sooo cute!

If needs be and members trusted me (I hope my selling and buying record on here shows i can be trusted) I would even be grateful if anyone was able to at least lend me a trail cam or 2 for a few months.

I've not requested any help from any other forums at this time.

Regards

Chaz.

P.S Apologies to the mods if I've put this in the wrong place. I wasn't sure as i was asking about buying, borrowing and informing members. 

23 hours ago, bramble basher said:

bought 1 from aldi a couple of years ago quite cheap didn't have all the bell's and whistles of some more expensive ones but does a good job for the money

regards  simon.

That's what i'm after BB. Would you be willing to sell it? PM me if you are, with your price. Cheers.

Chaz,

I've a fairly basic one sat around that your welcome to borrow for a few months as it's a good cause, rechargeable battery pack , SD card slot , etc but no instructions so you would have to play with it to familiarize yourself with it's controls.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Jeff   

unfortunately it went missing left it out were i thought it would be safe wont make that mistake again (you live and learn) from memory i think it was only about £60 and the quality was spot on

hope you get sorted soon eBay always worth a look

regards simon 

55 minutes ago, Tahrnz said:

Chaz,

I've a fairly basic one sat around that your welcome to borrow for a few months as it's a good cause, rechargeable battery pack , SD card slot , etc but no instructions so you would have to play with it to familiarize yourself with it's controls.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Jeff   

PM sent Jeff. 

1 minute ago, Strangely Brown said:

We had a hedgehog killed by a badger on the lawn in exactly that way. 

It happens a lot more frequently than Brain May and his cloud cuckoo mob like to believe, keeping the balance is very important and it can only be done with human intervention. 

Archived