CSR Accuracy

Rem Imperri

Gents,

After some advice, 
I've shot a couple of CSR winter matches at Bisley <=300yrd, + methuen and falling plates with an Enfield over the last few years, and was thinking about getting a rifle to have a bash at the modern classes. Only issue is I currently don't particularly fancy dropping £1500+ on an AR build. But... it is possible to pick up a Mini 14 for closer to the £500 mark, which is more in the *toe in the water* price range I'm looking at. 

Realistic group on a good Mini 14 is looking at about 2-2.5MOA, which with a fig 12 12" scoring ring gives me a reasonable chance of holding it up to 300yrds (possibly)...
Are there any CSR shoots that not being able to hold <2MOA would really hurt me. I'm thinking 500yrds becomes a bit of pot luck at that point... but hey, I'm probably not going to do the full course of matches anyway... 

Many Thanks,
Matt

2-2.5MOA....with the very best ammo you can put through one of them!

But you're not going to do that, you're going to shoot surplus or new manufacture GGG, which is around 2-3 MOA through a match quality rifle, so your Mini-14 is going to be around 4-6MOA on a good day

They are awful rifles and a waste of money, there is no one using one in CSR....that must say something

I tried cheap alternatives too - AKM in 7.62x39 and SVD in .308

While fun, they were by no means competitive and much of the time you are throwing money away every time you squeeze the trigger.

I have gone with an AR and never looked back. Expensive at first but in the long term, not quite so bad.

I have shot it loads of times and beat you at my first attempt around four years ago, i will try any get out more in this winters CSR league I hope your doing ok.

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I have shot it loads of times and beat you at my first attempt around four years ago, i will try any get out more in this winters CSR league I hope your doing ok.

Doing ok what?

They are a fun novelty rifle, but you won't be competitive with one. As you know, accuracy is poor, but you'll also find that they exhibit vertical stringing within about 10rnds or under. The barrel profile is very lightweight and heats up quickly. If you want to use a sling, the attachment point is the gas-block which is attached to the barrel, so that's going to add more variables to accuracy.

People spend a considerable amount of money accurising them. Accessories like rings are expensive. Magazines are more costly and less available than quality AR mags. It can all add up quickly to considerable cost, plus you've got the potential nuisance of sourcing less common parts.

You may also find extraction troublesome with milsurp ammo, or even reloads, requiring more work on the rifle or additional reloading kit.

That's my experience after having two of them.

@Anaxes
Thanks for that! Was wondering if someone would mention the barrel warming issue. I think that is the killer for me. 
I guess I have to decide how much I want to shoot CSR...

@Kalahari
I've seen them at the Methuan, probably would do okay in the historic winter league at Bisley as well. 

26 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Interesting because the K series have a reputation for being pretty accurate.

David.

The rues state the rifle must be capable of holding at least 10rds, and all practises are 10rds, so 6rds won't work out too well

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Interesting if 1 in 9 is going to stock ten round magazines they might be a contender.

David.

Well it could be, but you'd be hard pressed really to shoot better than a .223

That said, you couldn't shoot it in SO because the calibre doesn't qualify, and you can't shoot it in Historic because it isn't an Enfield, so that would leave PO or Iron Sights......it would work well in the latter but that class is poorly supported

Who is 1 in 9 anyway?

Archived