UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
blueheckle

.223 Hornady Modified case

as above guys anyone got one lying in the drawer , or can someone make me one tks 

Hi,

You can get one of your fire formed cases of your own done.

Just be careful who you use. I had a fire formed .204 case done for me, from a well known forum user. I sent 2 case in case of mistakes. I received my "modified case" and all looked well. However i found the threads a little stiff, but the brass case did screw on. However, i could not remove it. Despite cleaning the brass and lightly lubricating. The result was i ended up twisting the head off my Hornady Overall length gauge. So that was £40 wasted.....  

If you can't find a good resource to do this. If were you, i'd have a look at the - Frankford Arsenal gauge. As per the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/262-2095173-6488414?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Frankford+Arsenal+Cartridge+Overall+Length+Gauge+-+Metallic

I ended up buying the drill bit, and die and doing a .223 case of my own on a pillar drill. It's not totally 100% centered, as i don't have a lath. But better than the one done for me!!

Good luck!

Jamie

40 minutes ago, chaz said:

Hi,

You can get one of your fire formed cases of your own done.

Just be careful who you use. I had a fire formed .204 case done for me, from a well known forum user. I sent 2 case in case of mistakes. I received my "modified case" and all looked well. However i found the threads a little stiff, but the brass case did screw on. However, i could not remove it. Despite cleaning the brass and lightly lubricating. The result was i ended up twisting the head off my Hornady Overall length gauge. So that was £40 wasted.....  

If you can't find a good resource to do this. If were you, i'd have a look at the - Frankford Arsenal gauge. As per the link.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/262-2095173-6488414?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Frankford+Arsenal+Cartridge+Overall+Length+Gauge+-+Metallic

I ended up buying the drill bit, and die and doing a .223 case of my own on a pillar drill. It's not totally 100% centered, as i don't have a lath. But better than the one done for me!!

Good luck!

Jamie

Thanks for the advice Jamie I have just bought a S/S Hornady type OAL gauge of a chap on here was going to try myself but as you said no lathe to center it  

Thanks for the advice Jamie I have just bought a S/S Hornady type OAL gauge of a chap on here was going to try myself but as you said no lathe to center it  

The Hornady overall length gauge as far as I am aware is not made in stainless steel. I can drill and tap cases for the Hornady gauge for the price of postage. 

If its a stainless steel over all length gauge then it's probably the far superior offering made by the shooting shed I can also drill and tap cases for this OAL gauge for the cost of postage. But if it is one of the shooting shed offerings I suggest you contact them to tap them for you there rates are reasonable.

If you post a picture I would be able to identify witch gauge you have.

6 hours ago, alpha1 said:

The Hornady overall length gauge as far as I am aware is not made in stainless steel. I can drill and tap cases for the Hornady gauge for the price of postage. 

If its a stainless steel over all length gauge then it's probably the far superior offering made by the shooting shed I can also drill and tap cases for this OAL gauge for the cost of postage. But if it is one of the shooting shed offerings I suggest you contact them to tap them for you there rates are reasonable.

+1 for the Shooting Shed, they make some great stuff.

7 hours ago, alpha1 said:

I got it off a chap on here he said it was a Dolphin OAL gauge and it takes normal cases such as Hornady tks 

Has far as I am aware Dolphin dont make an Overall length gauge. If you post a picture of the item I will be able to tell you who made it. If it's the Shooting sheds stainless version it's a different thread to the hornady jobby. Send four cases  I will tap two with the Hornady thread and two with the shooting sheds offering then you should be covered either way.

15 hours ago, alpha1 said:

Has far as I am aware Dolphin dont make an Overall length gauge. If you post a picture of the item I will be able to tell you who made it. If it's the Shooting sheds stainless version it's a different thread to the hornady jobby. Send four cases  I will tap two with the Hornady thread and two with the shooting sheds offering then you should be covered either way.

A kind offer indeed! :)

And one which I am glad to accept still some gents out there right enough 

You did not include a return address can you pm me were you would like them sent to.

223 cases 009.jpg

223 cases 012.jpg

223 cases 013.jpg

Bloody hell that was quick amazing work have sent you a PM regarding my addy many thanks again 

On 7/30/2018 at 12:54 AM, alpha1 said:

A big shout out to the gent above done my cases etc FOC just goes to show still some gents out there once again many thanks