17 Hornet. HW66 J-M

17 Hornet in HW66 Jagd-Match.  Tier One rings,  Wildcat Panther Mod and Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil scope. 

Windy out today, first time to run in but delivering three shots with Hornady 20gn V-Max Superformance at 80 yards consistently in less than a 10 pence piece.  A surprising little calibre for vermin and fox and suppression which is measurably less than .17HMR.

It's a right hand stock, but 10 minutes with a Dremel scalloped out a little bit of stock to fit my leftyness.

1978116210_17hw.thumb.jpg.e91feb1fb4dd6a23e4768c1e937884fe.jpg

Very nice

I did think about getting one but went for another cz527 and glad i did . I have been testing some 30grrn Match and very impressed with them and im just waiting for it to dry up again to test some different 30grn rebated , and some 25grn Hp all hand swagged.

Cracking rifle David I've just received mine ,plus panther mod.you have got a nicely figured bit of walnut on yours mine is a little plain if I'm being picky,waiting for ammo to arrive at my local RFD and also toying with optic choice ,trigger is a delight very crisp and light took me by surprise when I first tried it !  Overall first impressions are beautifully put together can't wait to take it out..

IMG_2426.JPG

Hi dave , glad you finally got it . I assume you will be reloading for it at some point ?? In which case id like you to try some 17 grain bullet for me if you have time and would like to try them in your barrel ? For free of course . As long as you can post target pics of groups / experiment loads etc Atb .  

6 hours ago, gunner said:

Hi dave , glad you finally got it . I assume you will be reloading for it at some point ?? In which case id like you to try some 17 grain bullet for me if you have time and would like to try them in your barrel ? For free of course . As long as you can post target pics of groups / experiment loads etc Atb .  

If its the Kranks value things I've given up trying to get them to shoot consistently atm, LG, N120 and D063. Couple of loads looked mint, reloaded a few more to confirm...shotgun ;s Wonder if its the speed, will try slowing them down at some point but for now am shooting the 25s until I find some 30s to try, the 20s shoot well but (and I realise its the cartridges downfall) dont take much wind to get knocked about - in which case I end up taking 204 or 223 instead.

1 hour ago, snaggletooth said:

Nice set up. What's your thoughts on the Athlon scope? I'm considering one of these for my .222, but there isn't much info out there on them

Have a look at Richard Uttings scope reviews on you tube. 

He thought the Athlons were  good, but seriously overshadowed by the delta optical scopes

Cheers

Bruce

Snaggle.

I like the Athlon for the money - £320.  I like the FFP and glass clarity.  The turret cap does not line up on the marking of the turret body which does my OCD in.  It dials fine but £ for £, I like the Hawke Sidewinder.

Comparing apples I have a Delta Stryker on my Creedmoor which is stunning but then again it's £1300 not £320 and Richard Utting was comparing the Delta against the IOR's and Athlon Cronus I believe.

35 minutes ago, David Hancock said:

Snaggle.

I like the Athlon for the money - £320.  I like the FFP and glass clarity.  The turret cap does not line up on the marking of the turret body which does my OCD in.  It dials fine but £ for £, I like the Hawke Sidewinder.

Comparing apples I have a Delta Stryker on my Creedmoor which is stunning but then again it's £1300 not £320 and Richard Utting was comparing the Delta against the IOR's and Athlon Cronus I believe.

Ahh, that turret thing would bug me a bit as well. Thanks

20 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

If its the Kranks value things I've given up trying to get them to shoot consistently atm, LG, N120 and D063. Couple of loads looked mint, reloaded a few more to confirm...shotgun ;s Wonder if its the speed, will try slowing them down at some point but for now am shooting the 25s until I find some 30s to try, the 20s shoot well but (and I realise its the cartridges downfall) dont take much wind to get knocked about - in which case I end up taking 204 or 223 instead.

Its them yes . Are you hand loading ? And is your rifle the same as davids above ?? They may well be rubbish but for say 150 yard they may shoot well in some barrels . Not sure if they would come apart in say a 17rem , hence the Internet in this caliber ,. Cheers 

Ps personnely id start with 1 powder - find out the 'touching lands' col . do an ocw test , then if something looked promising tweak the seating depth . Then if really pikky re-do the ocw at the new seating depth. Or realize they dont like the barrel and buy something like 20 grain bullet - and so on :) 

On 7/30/2018 at 5:36 PM, gunner said:

Its them yes . Are you hand loading ? And is your rifle the same as davids above ?? They may well be rubbish but for say 150 yard they may shoot well in some barrels . Not sure if they would come apart in say a 17rem , hence the Internet in this caliber ,. Cheers 

Ps personnely id start with 1 powder - find out the 'touching lands' col . do an ocw test , then if something looked promising tweak the seating depth . Then if really pikky re-do the ocw at the new seating depth. Or realize they dont like the barrel and buy something like 20 grain bullet - and so on :) 

Yes, reloading them. 66JM but 22" barrel, assume Davids is 18".  I did the above with random outcomes, D063 was the best - OCW and consequent seating tweaks produced a couple of .2MOA  groups...which I couldn't get close to repeating - the next lot (same brass, AMP annealed, same prep, powder measured with FX120 etc) would be 2MOA ? Which is why I wondered if the speed was a problem as I vaguely recall they are meant to be old Mach rimfire bullets?? Anyway, I got bored of chasing them and went back to 20gr+ so I could shoot things with it instead of continuing what seemed like endless load development for little return. I'll probably revisit sometime, likely running them slower with N120. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2018 at 6:31 PM, GT3_richy said:

Yes, reloading them. 66JM but 22" barrel, assume Davids is 18".  I did the above with random outcomes, D063 was the best - OCW and consequent seating tweaks produced a couple of .2MOA  groups...which I couldn't get close to repeating - the next lot (same brass, AMP annealed, same prep, powder measured with FX120 etc) would be 2MOA ? Which is why I wondered if the speed was a problem as I vaguely recall they are meant to be old Mach rimfire bullets?? Anyway, I got bored of chasing them and went back to 20gr+ so I could shoot things with it instead of continuing what seemed like endless load development for little return. I'll probably revisit sometime, likely running them slower with N120. 

Try crimping the bullets with a Lee FCD. This really tightened my groups with all loads and made them far more consistent. I suspect the thin brass simply cannot even enough consistent neck tension without crimping. I discovered crimping out of desparation after apparently wrecking my brass by annealing.

The 22 Hornet apparently responds well to crimping for this reason, and my 17 Hornet seems to be the same. The theory is that primer ignition unseats the bullet to an inconsistent jump before the powder charge ignites.

Also, I’m using up to around 10 grains of Vit N110 with the 17 grainers, which is a fair bit faster burning.

After Bergers, the 17 grain bullet has been the next best bullet in both of my 17 Hornets, more accurate than the Noslers or 20 and 25 grain Vmax.

My HW66 is currently with Hull Cartiridge, awaiting a replacement stock which is inlet correctly...

N110 is something I will probably try when Ig get the rifle back. Will have a look about for a FCD too, worth a shot - ta :)

Archived