Amax to the Eld's

No i deer

Hi all.

I was wondering did you see a change between the accuracy between the 2 bullets transitioning from one to the other.was the powder grainage the same.any pressure signs on the same powder grainage.did you end up with the same jump.its the 7mm 162gr X (expanding) projectile in question.

Cheers No I deer

What I'm getting at is that no matter what people tell you, the results you get may be different. You still need to stick a toe in the water.

FWIW I substitute similar weight A-MAX and SST and ELDX in several of my rifles over like powder charges and have no problem with pressures or accuracy....but again,  your rifle is different.

As to barrel life.... there is an old saying in shooting that the only barrel that doesn't get worn is the one left in the gun cabinet. Wear it now, wear it later. If you shoot, you will wear it out eventually. ?~Andrew

I use my 284 for varminting.stalking and long range target shooting.its accuracy is superb and I thought I did my load development for the barrel.i do enjoy load development but tend to do too much and waste barrel life.using N165 hopefully it will last a good while.its done about 1000 shots now.i am not a plinker and i make every shot count.i loaded 60 yesterday ready for our 600 and 1000yds snapshooting club comp next Sunday.

I like the sound of that.recently I had a roebuck with the 162gr amax and it was quite harsh.i want to switch over too the 162gr eldx and use the rest on the range.the amaxs certainly expand well.

140 eldm from my 6.5creedmoor are absolutely fantastic , .4moa all day long 

I have to disagree with the above that they expand well though , they do to a certain degree but what I will say is I’ve shot probably 300 foxes with them and around 100 deer (head shot mostly) and 90% of the time they sail straight through , especially beyond 200yrd( odd one looks like a car crash though) , they leave exit holes around 1-2” , head shooting deer they are fine , shooting foxes fine , not sure I would want to make a habit of body shooting deer beyond 100 yards as you will probably need a good pair of boots for tracking .

hope this helps 

162gr amax would turn a fox into a windsock.the roebuck in question was hit on the rib going in and expanded too well.little blooded exit wound is deceiving.take the skin off and it not pretty

Archived