Summer 2018

No i deer

This summer is very reminiscent of 1976. The difference being back then it didn't rain once in the south east from May to September. 

It's wonderful in the woods at sunrise. By 10 it's too hot and evenings are midge hell.

It's roasting hot again today.

Being 10 years old in 1976 the only recollection I have is going down the local brook fishing and very little water running through and the minnows and the trout at the surface probaly oxygen starved.

16 hours ago, BuckhurstBen said:

Good for pheasant poults, not for cover crops! Picking up a lot more vermin day and night also everything must be getting hungry and thirsty. 

Ben

Not  good for duck - I put 7 week old growers on 3 ponds,, all have dried up  and the duck wandered off(they can't fly yet). Trying to keep one pond going by putting bowser loads in (3 loads at 10,000 litres each) every weekend. Cannot sow game crops as ground too hard to get the plough in - even if we did they would shrivel and die (we put brassica game crops for partridge).

So I'm praying for rain - but as I am pretty secular, nothing seems to be happening

M (more miserable than ever in baking Monmouthshire)

• 2 weeks later...

Was shooting at Kingsbury today and I’m still melting. Never seen mirage like it except during the first detail of the Holburt Comp during the Imperial.

We shot 1000yds and 600yds at bisley yesterday.i started my 2nd COF at 1000yds.i sent down 2 siters and couldn't see them.on the fig11s.sent my first 4 scoring shots down hoping I could see them.target reappeared and I couldn't see any of markers  so I retired from the COF.funny thing was the targets came up for the 2nd detail.went back down and came up with 2 shots marked FFS ?

Yes it was down too the mirage.the sun shines on the targets too.

I didn't fire a shot on the second detail.just unloaded. Took the mag out and put the breech flag in.the other 2 shooters in the carried on.

When the 2nd detail targets appeared one of our shooters said there was 2 markers on my target lol.maybe they felt sorry for me or they had sun stroke ?.

The marking can seen suspect at times.

Archived