Consultation

TSG

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/pbc/2017-19/Offensive_Weapons_Bill/02-0_2018-07-17a.31.3?s=Firearms+Terrorism#g31.6

This was on another forum. Not sure if it is posted here but if it has apologies.. Worth reading through it around the evidence surrounding HME and how it seems to be based upon a couple of people's opinions but little fact

Did seem a good response from BASC......really don't know how they refrained from 'rolling eyes' at the ineptitude and ignorance of the subject matter exhibited by many of the questioners!

To be fair the panel had obviously been fed a shed-load of lies and false info by the police etc

The point that he was driving home was fine.  He was stating the obvious (to us) that a 50 cal is no more or less dangerous than any other commonly used target CF calibre, such as the 30 cal since what makes a firearm dangerous is the ability of the shooter and the firearm's effective range (the shooter's ability to hit the target).  I agree he needed also to talk about energy.  He did mention that at 1000 yds, a 50 cal had a drop of 24 feet (without actually stating bullet mass or MV) and that ignored effects of windage allowance.  Point is, in the wrong hands of an unpracticed, untrained shot, hitting a target at 1000 yards is not a given at all.  He rubbished the "experts" opinion that dangerous range was over 6000 yards and also rubbished the claim on ammo taking out vehicles at such ranges, stating that military spec bullets (ie armour piercing) were needed and that these clearly were prohibited.  You ban the 50 cal you may as well ban everything. 

He was to the point and couldn't have set out the points needed any clearer, especially bringing to their attention that the information they previously had was misleading and inaccurate.  They may well choose to ignore this anyway and I didn't see any request for new evidence to be submitted so it could well be a fait accomplis since the police chiefs are so anti having civilians armed with anything other than pea shooters (and even then, they'd still probably send an armed response team out to a pea shooter incident!).

as I saw it, much was made to refute the b/s  they had been told about 50 cal,  then goes on to inform them of 2mile shots albeit walked in, [which we all know was completely wasted on such an audience,] with a lesser calibre namely 338 lapua  mag, not satified with this,,,, then talks of 1000 yard shots with his own 308win, and its military background,  IMO its chucking gasoline on an already out of control fire.  the people who choose to end all private firearm  ownership must be rubbing their hands.

nobody wants to talk of the rise in gun,[handguns  that were banned for legal owners in 1996]  and drug gangs, or ask how many guns are coming into this country via the illegal immigrant route, or are they just afraid of the usual  chants of "racist, xenophobia,ethnocentrism, ect,ect.

how much did acid attacks feature in the news before the open borders and various  "refugee" influxes? of  almost predominantly young men, ?

were there  dozens of stabbings a day in almost every city before the  mass influx.?

or moped crime,  no, and nobody wants to bring it up do they. 

To a politician all they care is "are there  any guns that can get to me in my  limo,  or my luxury home, and stop me from sticking my  snout in the trough"  well yes but they are in the hands of reliable,  trustworthy members of society who have jumped through a multitude of checks and various hoops and all vetted by no less than the police themselves,,,,,,  well   "F#*ck them,, ban 'em anyway.

nothing personal to anyone, but someone has to say it.

No-one has yet banned any currently legally held calibre or firearm type, so let's wait and see although I suspect that bump-stocks are firmly on the prohibited firearms menu.

As to acid, well it may come as news that a ban has been put on the over the counter sale of lead-acid batteries of the type that come with separate electrolyte which it is claimed, was being used in many of these acid attacks.  There are also moves afoot to look at other household acids that could be used which may contain things like Hydrochloric Acid, albeit in much more dilute forms (have you seen what Harpic will do to a rusty motorbike exhaust pipe in 10 seconds flat?!).  Ever tougher restrictions are being placed on the sale of knives, but lets face it, almost every single person, man, woman or child, has access to kitchen knives.   Point is, it's almost impossible to legislate with any effectiveness on a lot of these new and nasty crimes, other than put loads more police on the ground.  Just banning things and then locking people up after the fact is no deterrent to crime.  More active policing might be.  A review and indeed a strengthening of policing on gangs and drugs, plus a clamp down on violent criminals slipping through the immigration nets are all things that need to happen...but will they?

I agree though that all it took was for one 50 cal to be stolen and fall into the wrong hands for the politiicians to lift their threatened ban-hammer, and worryingly, their "expert witness" was anything but!

1 hour ago, VarmLR said:

No-one has yet banned any currently legally held calibre or firearm type, so let's wait and see although I suspect that bump-stocks are firmly on the prohibited firearms menu.

As to acid, well it may come as news that a ban has been put on the over the counter sale of lead-acid batteries of the type that come with separate electrolyte which it is claimed, was being used in many of these acid attacks.  There are also moves afoot to look at other household acids that could be used which may contain things like Hydrochloric Acid, albeit in much more dilute forms (have you seen what Harpic will do to a rusty motorbike exhaust pipe in 10 seconds flat?!).  Ever tougher restrictions are being placed on the sale of knives, but lets face it, almost every single person, man, woman or child, has access to kitchen knives.   Point is, it's almost impossible to legislate with any effectiveness on a lot of these new and nasty crimes, other than put loads more police on the ground.  Just banning things and then locking people up after the fact is no deterrent to crime.  More active policing might be.  A review and indeed a strengthening of policing on gangs and drugs, plus a clamp down on violent criminals slipping through the immigration nets are all things that need to happen...but will they?

I agree though that all it took was for one 50 cal to be stolen and fall into the wrong hands for the politiicians to lift their threatened ban-hammer, and worryingly, their "expert witness" was anything but!

with respect sir we already lost legal handguns, and s/a centerfire,  they just keep adding to the lists instead of  targeting the real  problem,  

to quote a well known phrase,  "the trigger does not pull the finger"   there are laws in place that  make certain behaviours  with guns,knives, acids ect already totally unacceptable, it hasn't made one iota of difference,  "CRIMINALS  DON'T OBEY LAWS"   something governments both past and present seem to be too dumb or refuse to accept to further their own agendas. 

have a read of this,  https://www.shootersrightsassociation.co.uk/journal-58

Banning certain currently legal firearms isn't going to stop illegal gun crime.what sort of delusional idiot would think this.you don't need a gun to injure or kill somebody.terrorists use vehicles these days so maybe these should be banned too.this whole thing is outrageous and the subject makes my urine boil.

11 hours ago, No i deer said:

Banning certain currently legal firearms isn't going to stop illegal gun crime.what sort of delusional idiot would think this.you don't need a gun to injure or kill somebody.terrorists use vehicles these days so maybe these should be banned too.this whole thing is outrageous and the subject makes my urine boil.

regarding the banning of legally held firearms the police are fully aware of this proven fact,   this is not their agenda, its total removal of legally held guns from public use, and successive   governments are very easily swayed when looking to be doing "something" to keep the public safe at all costs [yeah right!]  stop letting terrorists and criminal gangs selling drugs into the country might help don't you think?  but they don't even want to admit that's a problem. 

We were discussing this at a club shoot last weekend, and to my utter disbelief the majority of members took the attitude " cant see any reason why someone would want to shoot a 50cal"  FFS, with a attitude such as this were all Doomed!

Having lost my pistols , which was a pastime i loved,  and having lost my SLR years before, make no mistake 50cal now 308 very soon!!!!!

Archived