For any other user's of the Labradar I've heard a few people have had an Issue with the connecting port on the unit that you plug into from the power pack USB lead . I've not had any problems myself but I've looked and can see how it might become an Issue if your not that gentle with it .

There is a join at the top of the port ( There's probably a correct name for this type of socket ) and when connected and the rubber flap is pressing down on the lead it may cause this join to open and become a poor fit .

OSOK

No problems there with mine but having major connection issues with the new app which I had high hopes for.

Android

I have got it working now on a Samsung S7 and recent Galaxy tablet but only after removing and reinstalling the App......no idea what that changed!

Seen quite a few posts on bookface re. the app not working on iphones/pads. Mine was disconnecting randomly every few minutes and the last time I was out just refused to connect at all so I've reverted to pushing buttons. The apps a bit clunky I think. 

• 3 months later...

Modern technology is great until it starts going wrong.ive only recently moved onto the V3 magnetospeed and that works great.i still prefer to accuracy test without it strapped on and check ES after.the upside to the labradar. 2 birds with one stone.

I played with the app briefly on iphone, gave up on it pretty quickly as it kept dropping out and needing reconnecting every 20 seconds. I usually use mine off a bench so leaning forward to press a couple of buttons between strings etc isnt really much of an inconvenience.

• 1 month later...

Just checking in to poll the latest from the labradar users

It looks like a good bit of kit but fiddly to use - alignment and applications although I understand that there are tricks to getting the iPhone app to work

I am using a V3 magneto speed and it seems ok and very easy to use on the range and with my iPhone and PC - but wonder about the harmonic issues

On the other hand I wonder if the Labradar gives true muzzle velocity and I mean V0.0000 rather than initial point of engagement if it faces away from the muzzle

what has been peoples experience - both initial and as they built up experience

Thank you 

H

The more I use mine, the better I like it. I have shot it using both triggering modes; both doppler pick up and accoustic, and both methods have been quite accurate. In the US we get a more powerful version so I have been able to track rounds past 100 yards. When that data is put to practical field use it has been spot on.~Andrew

I've had one for over a year now, and when it works, it's brilliant.....................however, if you're shooting prone, it's a real pain not having a remote so you can reset etc. without having to get up, press buttons, get back down,

take a shot, get an "unable to acquire" message because you pushed it slightly out of alignment when you pressed the button, get up, press enter, re-align it etc etc  ad nauseam..................

I can't imagine why they didn't consider that when they drew it up...............

Pete

I have  seen a few in use , and to be honest there really not range friendly. There a pain in the ass from setting up (range  shut down , and everyone standing there TUTing at you while your messing about setting the thing up ) then five mins into a “ live range “ it’s shut down again because it’s not set up right , then the rest of the day is just a repeat of the above . 

I use a magneatospeed V3 just as accurate, More reliable, range friendly. 

14 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

I have  seen a few in use , and to be honest there really not range friendly. There a pain in the ass from setting up (range  shut down , and everyone standing there TUTing at you while your messing setting the thing up ) then five mins into a “ live range “ it’s shut down again because it’s not set up right , then the rest of the day is just a repeat of the above . 

I use a magneatospeed V3 just as accurate, More reliable, range friendly. 

Why blame the LabRadar on operator error? ~Andrew

Why do they need to shut the range down?

When I used one last weekend it was set up behind the muzzle so no need to go forward at any time and then it was a rough aim towards my target and good to go, I had only two fail to acquires all day and I put that down to the chap on the next lane firing at almost the same moment as me and the radar getting confused with the two projectiles in that air at the same instance.

The thing I like about them is that there is no change to barrel harmonics which occur with the V3 when you strap it to the end of the barrel; but if I currently had a V3 would I swap?  - then the answer would be no

I'd do the load testing fist, get the powder charge sorted out and the seating depth etc then I'd chrono 5 or 10  rounds to get the average velocity so there was no impact to accuracy from fitting the chronograph.

20 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

With regards the harmonics issues , Why not just a barrel tuner ....... sorted .

Hi, the harmonics issue is that fitting a V3 to a rifle to work up a load is OK if you fit it in exactly the same way in the same point each time you do any development with that rifle as any change in position will have an impact on accuracy through the harmonics - a bit like zeroing without a mod then fitting one and wondering why your POI has shifted.

Hence me saying that I'd do the development first without the V3 attached and then chrono any loads as necessary as a separate step when I wasn't bothered about the POI as I know it will shift.

Laurie explains it better that I ever will in his review of the LabRadar in Target Shooter

5 minutes ago, old_n07 said:

Hi, the harmonics issue is that fitting a V3 to a rifle to work up a load is OK if you fit it in exactly the same way in the same point each time you do any development with that rifle as any change in position will have an impact on accuracy through the harmonics - a bit like zeroing without a mod then fitting one and wondering why your POI has shifted.

Hence me saying that I'd do the development first without the V3 attached and then chrono any loads as necessary as a separate step when I wasn't bothered about the POI as I know it will shift.

Laurie explains it better that I ever will in his review of the LabRadar in Target Shooter

Agreed, I personally don’t have a problem with mine , maybe I’m just lucky I don’t know , however I do fit mine in exactly the same place as you describe ( right up against my muzzle brake ) 

I moved from a Magnetospeed to the Labradar, and the Magnetospeed bayonet certainly affects the POI, plus there's the hassle of fixing/unfixing it if you're shooting more than one rifle..................and the strap method of fixing it to the barrel is rubbish. I threw mine away and used a couple of re-usable cable ties instead.

So listen Labradar, we need a wired or unwired remote with all the buttons mirror'd so that we can operate the thing while wearing jacket and sling and holding the rifle on aim !!!

Pete

Thanks

this is very helpful gents - I can't help but agree on the remote point - not an issue if the phone app works but that seems to not be the case - the logic will likely be - use the phone app

I will archive and start a new series every time I shoot 5 yards on a load test and the long lead of the magneto speed makes that easy - the hand guard attachment used by David Tube on his new gun looks a good idea btw

If the app worked reliably then I would be tempted - but I get very little POI change with the magneto speed so it is probably worth waiting until they release a reliable app

11 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Read Re-Pete’s post for one example . 

If touching the unit sets it out of alignment then connect with blue tooth and set it remotely. The APP is free and you don't need to touch the unit once aligned. Or stiffen up the mount. I do not use any of the LabRadar-marketed mounting units. Instead I have a very secure tripod arrangement. The entire tripod would need to move if the LabRadar was nudged so once set, barring an idiot smacking into it, It does not move.  If I have one biich about the unit it's the lack of an adequate aiming device. I use a 4" long x .25" bore thick walled plastic tube set in the V-notch. This allows me to sight on a target 100 yards distant and collect my data with no fuss. Paying attention to the option parameters is the first step in getting every shot to record.~Andrew

Well, I've been there................I now use a  sturdy photographic tripod with a ball and socket plus  a sighter tube as shown in the photo. I'm also trying a couple of long shutter release cables fitted to brackets such that the arming and power buttons can be operated from the shooting position. It might be possible to do something similar with the other buttons.

As for a zombie-phone, I wouldn't give the bloody things house-room..................

Pete

Labrad.jpg

Labrad 1.jpg

I must have a zombie phone for work, and I have downloaded the app, but have no idea how to hook up to blue tooth.🙁 I just set it manually. My tripod is a camera tripod with the single stud draw-down attachment point. It will extend to about an 8 ft radius and lie flat on the grounds with the legs extended if the situation warrants. Your tube looks like mine but much larger and refined. Does it have a reticle in it??  The small tube I affix does allow fairly precise alignment at 100 yards.~ Andrew

I use the term zombie phone because of the effect it has on some (most?) users....................they wander around in an alternate universe, sometimes with wires coming out of their ears, completely oblivious to anything around them, especially my pushbike pinger.................

My current tube is aluminium, (an old bike saddle stem), which just happens to be a similar size to the 18mm smallbore aperture sights There's an aperture ring epoxied in at each end, and you can line them up with the aiming mark while the Labradar is just at arms length, making adjustment easy.

The lower pic has the mark 1, a bit of 6mm brass tube.

Pete

Archived