interesting little problem

Miseryguts

At the range today with Henry "Big Boy" in 44M. 60 rounds all loaded on same day, same batch of powder, same batch of bullets.30 rounds in one make of brass(A), 30 rounds in another make of brass(B) Shooting 10 shot strings.

All rounds in brass A shot all over the place, was lucky to hit a 12 inch target. All rounds in brass B shot true apart from some vertical stringing due to barrel heat?

This rifle with this load of 240gn RNFP (plated) over 19.5gn N110 is a hot load running about 1500fps and normally giving 1 MoA at 50m. Range in hot sun today, so barrel was pretty hot to start with and after a 10 shot string was too hot to grip - hence the vertical stringing on the brass that shot true?

So why does 1 make of brass shoot 10 MoA and another 1 MoA

Enquiring minds would like to know

PS loads measured on beam scale, and when shot over Chrono have single digit Sd

M ( a bit puzzled in sunny South Wales)

11 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

What level of crimping ( if any) did you apply?

Have you measured neck thickness in these two lots of brass?

the 44 magnum is a handgun cartridge, and is used in gallery rifles here in the UK as handguns are banned. So all this type of cartridge are crimped and there is no such thing as neck thickness. Both lots of brass had the same OAL and were crimped at the same time with a taper crimp. When using crimp on a straight case, as long as all the cases are the same length all the crimps are the same. I will check the wall thickness of the two types of brass, but the variation in MV to get this sort of variation in POI would be huge, especially in view of the powder charge of 19.5gn which fills the case to 3/4 full

3 hours ago, cooter said:

Have you checked the h2o case capacity?

As above straight walled hand gun case so not normally a factor?

I'm guessing the problem is the taper crimp when applied to that one lot of brass. Try a few rounds roll crimped and see if that helps. I generally only apply a taper crimp for light loads in my handgun cartridge weapons using it particularly for 38 Special target loads in handgun. For any loads that approach full power I use a roll crimp.~Andrew

Archived