It’s not a long range round. Triggersqueezeer is correct, 300 yard point and shoot is where it excels. 

If you want to reach out you need a 1-8” twist .22 calibre round.  So .223 or .22-250 depending on actual need. 

I have a .20 Tac which is a wildcat version of the .204 and really rate it. Sadly it doesn’t get used due to current commitments.

Yep, a .204 is a nice point-n-squirt 300yd chambering with spectacular splat factor but it gets murdered by wind past 300yds. Actually, the same applies to a std twist .22-250 shooting light projectiles.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd happily get a .204 and maybe later add a 6mm of some sort for longer/ windy shots.

The "Over-Kill" comment is a misnomer. If you shoot something to kill it, what does it matter as long as it's dead?? That's obviously only if you don't want to eat the meat.... I've had a .204R and a .223. The .223R with a 1 in 8 twist is loads more versatile... But if you just want to dispatch your vermin out to a max of around 350 yards. Then to be honest, i'd be a little stuck. I'd miss the .223's versatility, but then I'd just miss using the .204R. Yes the .223R is highly versatile. But a big IF, you definitely never go over 350 yards i'd go for as tight a twist as i could in .204R. But that's just 1 opinion.... Just to add, the groups you get from reloading the .204R are amazing!!

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Chaz.

My first centre fire rifle was a 204 it can be very good if you find a good batch of factory or reload for it. There is a but though I personally find it makes a big wound on a fox but I had more runners than when I switched to my 223 using 55/53g Ammo   Then I moved up to my 22-50 that's even better but my go to now is the 243 shooting 95g noslers ive never had a runner yet that moved any distance.any one ellles care to  comment please do just what I've found over the years.sad to say the 204 is my least used rifle.If your shooting rabbits then it won't make a difrance apart from wind drift.

.223 is legal for muntjac and Chinese water deer in England; also roe in Scotland.

.204? Nope. This might not matter to you today, but next month/year...?

If you’re not reloading, your choice of factory ammo is going to be massive in .223, very limited in .204

maximus otter

2 hours ago, Montey said:

My first centre fire rifle was a 204 it can be very good if you find a good batch of factory or reload for it. There is a but though I personally find it makes a big wound on a fox but I had more runners than when I switched to my 223 using 55/53g Ammo   Then I moved up to my 22-50 that's even better but my go to now is the 243 shooting 95g noslers ive never had a runner yet that moved any distance.any one ellles care to  comment please do just what I've found over the years.sad to say the 204 is my least used rifle.If your shooting rabbits then it won't make a difrance apart from wind drift.

So would you sell the 204? :)

46 minutes ago, maximus otter said:

.223 is legal for muntjac and Chinese water deer in England; also roe in Scotland.

.204? Nope. This might not matter to you today, but next month/year...?

If you’re not reloading, your choice of factory ammo is going to be massive in .223, very limited in .204

maximus otter

Well these are good points. 

Im in Scotland, but yes looking at choice of used rifles etc online, the 204 is rare, lots more 223 to choose from. 

I sold my bug holing Howa 1500 .223 for a .17 Hornet - testing on Friday - and a 6.5 Creedmoor, this after having a "blueprinted .204 which would not hit the proverbial barn door.

There is a lot to be said for a (smaller) deer legal varminting .223 shooting 40gn Vmax - 55gn Sako gameheads..

just another point ,when i had a 204 i read a lot online about this amazing fps and flat shooting .the only rifle i could buy was a tikka with a 20" barrel so there is a chunk of that fps gone on a short barrel .then my best accuracy node was also slower. i missed a lot (paper punching)  sending light bullets at slower than expected speed.went fast 223 hit rate was much better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 4:43 PM, David Hancock said:

I sold my bug holing Howa 1500 .223 for a .17 Hornet - testing on Friday - and a 6.5 Creedmoor, this after having a "blueprinted .204 which would not hit the proverbial barn door.

There is a lot to be said for a (smaller) deer legal varminting .223 shooting 40gn Vmax - 55gn Sako gameheads..

Nail on head!

On 7/11/2018 at 3:12 PM, Moorlander said:

My .204 CZ527 has a 26" barrel.

Is that custom? I never measured my CZ Varmint! I gave it to my girlfriend and she gladly kills prairidogs with it out to 400 yards. I have shot 40 grain Hornady and Noslers over Varget which, by the book, are no faster than my 40 grain 223 loads but they did seem to reach farther. I never did bother to chronograph my loads as they were around half MOA from the start and that's good enough for sod rats.~Andrew

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Is that custom? I never measured my CZ Varmint! I gave it to my girlfriend and she gladly kills prairidogs with it out to 400 yards. I have shot 40 grain Hornady and Noslers over Varget which, by the book, are no faster than my 40 grain 223 loads but they did seem to reach farther. I never did bother to chronograph my loads as they were around half MOA from the start and that's good enough for sod rats.~Andrew

Standard rifle CZ 527 .204

Thanks for that. Great rifle... I enjoyed having one for the 30 minutes it took my lady friend to fall in love with it! Oh. I shot it after that and reloaded for it, but it was clear she'd laid claim to it. (sigh) ~Andrew

PS: I'm sure I'll get to see it again when we go prairiedogging next week....

Hmm id consider something else . Lets say the wind gets up and keeps blowing a gale for 3 weeks. Out of 3 rifle id leave the 222   .20 prac and get the 6br out . Another very versatile round like heavy 223 i suppose . But not much more powder than it . Can be / is generally very accurate and easy to tune . Varmint bullet choice is very good too . And if you ever get more permission / longer ranges its 1k capable . Nice to shoot too . 

Although i love my 20 , it does miss past 350 regular because of my lack of wind reading skills and unpredictability in gusty conditions . Had it out Sunday for 1st time in 10 odd weeks . Only 2 kills , magpie 70 yds - the head and a wing popped about 10 ' into the air straight up no joking . 2nd shot carrion crow 390 yds wind had a lull so sent it , it dropped dead instantly not a flinch . However , cue 5 minutes later 2 young magpie was in same bush but wind was up , i missed the next 2 shots so went to another shoot . Had that been my 6br / 105 it normally would be on target . 

PS- if it was the only gun you own , id be much more comfortable shooting fox with a 6mm rather than a 20 , the .20 cal bullets were designed for small vermin , medium sized  / game - rabbit/hare . I dont like the risk of wounding things . Id probably rather use a 22 hornet on fox than a 20 cal . Just my thoughts . Think youll enjoy what ever you get.   

Archived